Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculating customs duty

Options
  • 29-07-2020 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Could anyone here help me make sense of import duties? I want to import a quantity of small sewing machine parts from China. The average value per part is around 1USD, quantity 750. Shipping is quoted at 84USD, plus a 'bank charge' of 35USD. No quote for an insurance charge has been given, as shipping is shown FOB (so I have to organise???). I'm not looking for 100% accuracy here, just a ball park figure - just to make sure that what looks like a good deal on paper, doesn't come back to bite me in the ass.

I tried to ring the Revenue this morning and was transferred to Customs & Excise, but the line dropped as there was no one available to take the call. I can't seem to make sense of the online information, to determine which particular duties sewing machine parts are subject to.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

brynne wrote: »
    Could anyone here help me make sense of import duties? I want to import a quantity of small sewing machine parts from China. The average value per part is around 1USD, quantity 750. Shipping is quoted at 84USD, plus a 'bank charge' of 35USD. No quote for an insurance charge has been given, as shipping is shown FOB (so I have to organise???). I'm not looking for 100% accuracy here, just a ball park figure - just to make sure that what looks like a good deal on paper, doesn't come back to bite me in the ass.

I tried to ring the Revenue this morning and was transferred to Customs & Excise, but the line dropped as there was no one available to take the call. I can't seem to make sense of the online information, to determine which particular duties sewing machine parts are subject to.

TIA

You would most likely need to speak to the tariff classification office in Nenagh, who would confirm what Tarriff/HS code would apply to the parts in question.

Below is the link and snip, to what is the relevant chapter of Taric but without knowing more about the nature of the goods it is hard to confirm which exact HS code and duty rate apply:

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/measures.jsp?Lang=en&SimDate=20200826&Area=CN&MeasType=&StartPub=&EndPub=&MeasText=&GoodsText=sewing+machine&op=&Taric=&search_text=goods&textSearch=sewing+machine&LangDescr=en&OrderNum=&Regulation=&measStartDat=&measEndDat=

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

A friend of mine bought an item from china recently for something like €130+ postage was almost €100.
    Anyway he was contacted by someone from Shannon Airport to pay the duty which is what he was not surprised.
    What did surprise him was that he was asked to pay excise duty for the cost of the post.
    Thats about a Month ago and not mentioned since as it turned out costing nearly €300 and not suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭brynne

I did manage to find a duty calculating website in the end. In calculating the duty payable, I had to contact the Revenue and get a tariff class as the rate of duty payable varies with the product imported. And, yes, duty is calculated on the purchase price of the item, plus shipping and insurance. My goods haven't arrived yet, but I'm expecting a bill of around €250.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I did manage to find a duty calculating website in the end. In calculating the duty payable, I had to contact the Revenue and get a tariff class as the rate of duty payable varies with the product imported. And, yes, duty is calculated on the purchase price of the item, plus shipping and insurance. My goods haven't arrived yet, but I'm expecting a bill of around €250.

Did you ask why there is duty on shipping and insurance?
    I wanted him to ask but he was so pissed off about the whole affair i did not mention since...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Shipping costs are and were always included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Allinall

As far as I am aware, Duty is payable on the purchase price of the item + any carriage charges.

VAT is then payable on the total of:

Purchase price of item
    Duty

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭brynne

Yes, Allinall, you're probably right. I was mentally lumping all the charges in together under the general heading of 'duty', but some of the calculated fee would have been VAT.

Allinall wrote: »
    As far as I am aware, Duty is payable on the purchase price of the item.

VAT is then payable on the total of:

Purchase price of item
    Duty
    Cost of transport

Duty is payable on the landed value, which is the value of the goods plus any freight relating to transport as far as Dublin/Cork

You will also have destination charges in Dublin, these can be quite high depending on what way the shipper booked the transport.. If you are going to be shipping on a regular basis from China you would be better arranging the shipping yourself than leaving it to your supplier

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Allinall

Duty is payable on the landed value, which is the value of the goods plus any freight relating to transport as far as Dublin/Cork

You are indeed correct.

It's been years since I worked in transport.

My above post is now amended.

• Advertisement
Advertisement