Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accountancy Options

Options
  • 01-07-2020 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Hi. I am currently interested in upskilling or perhaps just making myself more employable in the future.

I completed a degree in Economics and Finance 6 years ago. I would have some Accountancy exemptions from this I think. My work background is about a year in Financial Reporting in State Street before moving into a niche industry where I now manage a large team and manage the company P&L. This role along with other roles moving up gives me experience in Operations, Compliance, Customer Service,AML/Fraud and Product.

Does an Accountancy qualification make sense with this type of experience?

If not would anyone have suggestions? QFA/CFA to me would not make sense right now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

If you are managing the P&L then absolutely accounting makes sense.

You don't mention the balance sheet though, is there a seperate team that looks after that(which would seem unusual)?

In any case accounting is a great qual to have I'd you work in finance. It's more than just putting together p&l/balance sheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Hi. I am currently interested in upskilling or perhaps just making myself more employable in the future.

I completed a degree in Economics and Finance 6 years ago. I would have some Accountancy exemptions from this I think. My work background is about a year in Financial Reporting in State Street before moving into a niche industry where I now manage a large team and manage the company P&L. This role along with other roles moving up gives me experience in Operations, Compliance, Customer Service,AML/Fraud and Product.

Does an Accountancy qualification make sense with this type of experience?

If not would anyone have suggestions? QFA/CFA to me would not make sense right now.

One thing you will need to establish is if you will get the required experience. You need 3.5 years under a qualified accountant to qualify.

But there are other options such as CIMA which I don't think require the work experience (may be wrong about that).

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

Thanks. I would suggest it is more of a commercial role than an accounting role. I would not deal with the balance sheet.

I did consider that the management accounting might be more applicable for me.

I would ultimately be looking at doing what might be best to make me employable for a different industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 onlinepal100

CIMA will most probably provide some exemptions from exams. The minimum work experience requirement is 3 years for "relevant" work - relevant to CIMA's Basic/Core/Supplementary requirements which you can find on the CIMAGLOBAL.com website searching for APPLYING FOR MEMBERSHIP.

CIMA more suited to people who want to manage and drive a business rather than focus on Financial Statements and/or auditing.

Advertisement