Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

school when moving?

Options
  • 17-08-2019 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

ok so we are moving, hopefully very soon.

my daughter starts preschool this year, which is in the beginning of september, and we are in the process of buying a house.

we are currently in the city center. the issue is... how do we handle this? we might get the keys still in august, but it may very well take longer, depending on how fast the process goes on.

it may turn out so that out daughter has to go to school in the city for days/weeks (where she is currently enrolled), and then switch over to the school were our house is.

how do we handle this situation? after buying the house, we wont have much money left - i dont want to purchase uniform and books for the school in the city, only to repurchase everything for the other school close to our house shortly after.

is there a way to deal with that elegantly? we went to the school close to our house and talked to the principal, she told us they have plenty spaces as they have an additional class this year, so getting her in wont be an issue, but we couldnt talk since because they are closed for holidays.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Is it preschool or school?
    Can you buy a second hand uniform for now so that you won't lose out on as much money? Hopefully some of the uniform bits could be used for the new school e.g. if they have the same colour shirts/pinafore/socks etc.
    We've had new kids start in my kids class. They have usually started after Christmas holidays if it's mid year. You might have to travel back and forth a bit for a short time.
    If it were me, I would start her in the school that she will be going to permanently, near the new house, and suck it up and travel or hire someone who will do the drop offs and collections depending on your working hours. It will make settling in all that much easier for her, save money on uniforms and books. But to me the most important thing would be ensuring she settles in well, makes friends, isn't going to be disrupted a couple of months into things and have to do it all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

I agree with the previous poster. A large part of settling in is making friends locally. It should make the move easier for her if she already knows some local kids to play with.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I presume you mean primary and not pre-school? Have you got the book list for both schools - they may we’ll be very similar and you could take them with you . I wouldn’t hold off on starting her until the house is finalized - if for any reason there were to be a delay , she’d miss out on school.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

I presume you mean primary and not pre-school? Have you got the book list for both schools - they may we’ll be very similar and you could take them with you . I wouldn’t hold off on starting her until the house is finalized - if for any reason there were to be a delay , she’d miss out on school.

yup, sorry, primary school

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

murfilein wrote: »
    it may turn out so that out daughter has to go to school in the city for days/weeks (where she is currently enrolled), and then switch over to the school were our house is.
    Have you booked a place in said school for your child? Do not assume you can get a place, if you have not. In some schools, you have to book the place a few years in advance.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Have you booked a place in said school for your child? Do not assume you can get a place, if you have not. In some schools, you have to book the place a few years in advance.

we talked to the principle a couple weeks ago, she confirmed that they'll have plenty places as they have an additional class this year and she gave us the enrollment papers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Why not just start in the new school and commute for a few weeks if needed? That would be less disruptive.

Millem wrote: »
    Why not just start in the new school and commute for a few weeks if needed? That would be less disruptive.

it would be, but commuting is not an option because i cant drop off my kid at the target school and drive to work as my work starts at 8. my commmunits would also be tripled in time. that wont work time-wise, as my wife doesnt drive yet and we also dont have 2 cars. even if i could drop her off at school, it would be difficult for her to pick her up. i guess she could take the train if its a matter of a couple days... lets see, we first need to know when we'll get the keys

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

If you are talking a matter of days / weeks I wouldn’t send her until you move. I think it would be very confusing for her. The move itself is going to cause massive upheaval. Could you contact the new school, get the booklist and work through the curriculum with her until she starts ?

If you are talking a matter of days / weeks I wouldn’t send her until you move. I think it would be very confusing for her. The move itself is going to cause massive upheaval. Could you contact the new school, get the booklist and work through the curriculum with her until she starts ?

that would be our preferred solution. is that a thing? we already bought all the books she'll need there. the question is, is that "legal" to have your kid skip school for a short time in such a situation...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Can you send your child to the ‘old school’ explaining that you will be moving soon. As another poster has said if it’s a generic uniform maybe some of the uniform items can be used in the new school.Plus as other poster mentioned second hand uniforms.

Could the old school let your child work from photocopiable material instead of buying the books. I don’t know if this is possible but you should ask. Many Junior Infant books are workbooks ( at least in my kids school) and probably cost between 70 to 90 euros for juniors) There are many different primary school publishers so you can’t be sure the ‘new school’ will use the same books as the other old one. You could get the school book list from the school and cross check the list to see if books can be used in new school.

You’re in a tricky situation op, but as you don’t have a date for moving to your new house I wouldn’t let your child miss any school, but I would definitely talk to both school principals explain your situation and see what help/ support/advice they can offer. Do hope it all works out for you.

Sorry just read in your later post that you’ve already bought the books, then there isn’t much ch you can do, see if any can be used in new school. It’s awkward but nothing you can do I’d say.

Blaizes wrote: »
    Can you send your child to the ‘old school’ explaining that you will be moving soon. As another poster has said if it’s a generic uniform maybe some of the uniform items can be used in the new school.Plus as other poster mentioned second hand uniforms.

Could the old school let your child work from photocopiable material instead of buying the books. I don’t know if this is possible but you should ask. Many Junior Infant books are workbooks ( at least in my kids school) and probably cost between 70 to 90 euros for juniors) There are many different primary school publishers so you can’t be sure the ‘new school’ will use the same books as the other old one. You could get the school book list from the school and cross check the list to see if books can be used in new school.

You’re in a tricky situation op, but as you don’t have a date for moving to your new house I wouldn’t let your child miss any school, but I would definitely talk to both school principals explain your situation and see what help/ support/advice they can offer. Do hope it all works out for you.

Sorry just read in your later post that you’ve already bought the books, then there isn’t much ch you can do, see if any can be used in new school. It’s awkward but nothing you can do I’d say.

sorry, i should have been clearer with what i wrote haha

we bought the books for the new school! as far as i can tell, there is no uniform in the new school, the only think i can see on listed on their website , just generic items in specific colors, except the tracksuit for PE days.

we will definitely get those things for the new school.

the issue is, due to holidays, we cant speak to anyone right now. yeah we are going to speak to the principal as soon as they open to ask if we can "homeschool" our kid with the material until we are moved over to our house...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

sorry, i should have been clearer with what i wrote haha

we bought the books for the new school! as far as i can tell, there is no uniform in the new school, the only think i can see on listed on their website , just generic items in specific colors, except the tracksuit for PE days.

we will definitely get those things for the new school.

the issue is, due to holidays, we cant speak to anyone right now. yeah we are going to speak to the principal as soon as they open to ask if we can "homeschool" our kid with the material until we are moved over to our house...

Have you tried to contact the school? There will be someone there.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

that would be our preferred solution. is that a thing? we already bought all the books she'll need there. the question is, is that "legal" to have your kid skip school for a short time in such a situation...

I wouldn’t get into the legality of it. I think if you miss 20 days Tusla send a letter. I can’t imagine anyone having an issue once you explain the situation. However I would try to get her started as soon as I’d feasible so that she can make friends etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

There should be someone at the school this week. They start back next week.

I would do whatever you can to start daughter at her new school with everyone else. It'll be much easier for her to settle in, make friends and get used to the routine. Take holidays, talk to your boss, push the solicitors, find a childminder who will do a drop off/pick up for a few weeks. Junior Infants is usually only in for an hour or two the first few weeks.

I would do whatever you can to start daughter at her new school with everyone else. It'll be much easier for her to settle in, make friends and get used to the routine. Take holidays, talk to your boss, push the solicitors, find a childminder who will do a drop off/pick up for a few weeks. Junior Infants is usually only in for an hour or two the first few weeks.

i put in a week holiday after next week, so at least for the first week we will be able to send her to school, so thats good. fingers crossed that we get the keys by then!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Erm, no, there "shouldn't.":D:D
    There *might be someone around and some schools aren't starting back until Sept. 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sandrat

I would send her the first week as you are off. The 20 days thing only kicks in when the child is 6 years old as legally you don’t have to attend until age 6

sandrat wrote: »
    I would send her the first week as you are off. The 20 days thing only kicks in when the child is 6 years old as legally you don’t have to attend until age 6

yeah i will drive her to school from this Thursday until the end of next week (minus Monday, couldn't get that day off), and hope we will get the keys by then...

yeah i will drive her to school from this Thursday until the end of next week (minus Monday, couldn't get that day off), and hope we will get the keys by then...

OP has your solicitor given you any indication of the closing date?
    Our solicitor told us this before we signed contracts. Granted, it has ran late by a week, but you need some indication of what closing date they are aiming for.

• Advertisement

OP has your solicitor given you any indication of the closing date?
    Our solicitor told us this before we signed contracts. Granted, it has ran late by a week, but you need some indication of what closing date they are aiming for.

we received papers last week to look through, bit the actual contact, but on one line it says a closing time of around 4 weeks. hope it goes faster than that...

we received papers last week to look through, bit the actual contact, but on one line it says a closing time of around 4 weeks. hope it goes faster than that...

You need to ring your solicitor and ask what closing date they are aiming for.
    That'll then give you a better idea of how to address the school issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sarahdylan

How old is your child ? If she was only 4 I would hold off for the year and send her to preschool again this year even if you have to pay for it just to avoid the additional stress.

Or else I would send her to the school in the Centre buy a second hand uniform in a charity shop and then buy her a new uniform when she is moving schools.

sarahdylan wrote: »
    How old is your child ? If she was only 4 I would hold off for the year and send her to preschool again this year even if you have to pay for it just to avoid the additional stress.

Or else I would send her to the school in the Centre buy a second hand uniform in a charity shop and then buy her a new uniform when she is moving schools.

oops, sorry for the late reply.

nooo, my daughter is 5 and she is STOKED to go to school.

school started last thursday, i took holiday to drive her to carrigtohill on thursday and friday to go to school.

i couldnt get holidays today, but i'm off from tomorrow for the rest of the week, so i can drive her there.

we signed the contracts, and my solicitor estimated it might be possible to get the keys next week.

Advertisement