Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audax Rides

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,315 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Wow that's amazing! Well done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

You're fine. I'm not bothered, it's a small country anyway and I met most of Boards cyclists at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

You're fine. I'm not bothered, it's a small country anyway and I met most of Boards cyclists at this stage.

All fixed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

"Don't tell them your name, Pike"!

Well done, Not -so-nameless Phil. Its an incredible achievement - every single item on that event list is a job of work in itself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That's me! My anonymity has long gone from this site.

I have no idea who you are but that is one damned impressive achievement Phil.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

That's me! My anonymity has long gone from this site.

Congrats NP, we should possibly consider attaching a large dynamo to your back wheel as an alternative to all these wind farms they're building :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

smacl wrote: »
    Congrats NP, we should possibly consider attaching a large dynamo to your back wheel as an alternative to all these wind farms they're building :pac:

I do have a dynamo hub to power lights and usb charger. I couldn't audax without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Go and do it!

No!

No, I will not go and do it...

I have literally zero endurance and I have no intention of ever trying to build any!

But I could easily beat you in a 100m sprint, caus I'm a speedy mofo.... so.... :P

I've no problem being the tortoise to your hare. Everyone knows the tortoise wins in the end...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

I've no problem being the tortoise to your hare. Everyone knows the tortoise wins in the end...

Nah f*ck the hare... I'm a Cheetah baby... Cheetahs rock! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ReReg Numpty

Well done NP, fantastic award to get.

You might need some amatsu with all this vigorous backpatting!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I call audaxers in the club mentallers, you make them look sane as can be!

Bualadh bos!

Audax is the cycling equivalent of Test cricket. It moves slowly but with many exciting periods and takes about 5 days to finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

Congratulations NP, epic achievement...well done

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Incredible achievement. Respect!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Awesome NP. That's a phenomenal achievement. I presume you went out on a spin to celebrate:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Audax is the cycling equivalent of Test cricket. It moves slowly but with many exciting periods and takes about 5 days to finish!

If Audax is a marathon, you just ran entire AT or PCT or WAW. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Danville

As Sean Kelly would say “Chapeau”, Nameless Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I'm going to blow my own trumpet here and I don't care! I achieved the Randonneur 10,000 medal from the Audax Club Parisien. I'm the first person in Ireland to get one. It's one of the top level awards and you need to complete the following audax rides:-

One Paris-Brest-Paris 1,200km
    One ride greater than 1,200km
    Two Super Randonneé Series, 200, 300, 400, 600 and 1,000km rides
    One Easter Fléché 360km+
    One Super Randonneé - 600km, 10,000m+ 60hours
    The remainder of the rides have to be BRM brevets

There is a six year qualifying period.

Go and do it!
    Can the Paris Brest Paris and one ride over 1,200 km be the same ride?
    Well done by the way, fantastic achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Can the Paris Brest Paris and one ride over 1,200 km be the same ride?
    Well done by the way, fantastic achievement.

Seperate AFAIK as PBP is considered 1200km, not over it, even if it is, it is registered as a 1200km ride. I presume NamelessPhils was the LEL which in my opinion looks and sounds infinitely tougher than the PBP.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Seperate AFAIK as PBP is considered 1200km, not over it, even if it is, it is registered as a 1200km ride. I presume NamelessPhils was the LEL which in my opinion looks and sounds infinitely tougher than the PBP.

Yes, another ride over 1,200km. I finished LEL 2017 (1,430km). It wasn't tougher than PBP, I took the tourist option of 116 hours. There's just as much climbing as PBP but the wind was against us on the Fens on the way back.

LEL is on again next year, it'll be 1,500km. It doesn't require any qualifiers...😲

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mcthebike

Well done. Finished just in time for the WAWA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Not strictly an audax question - I was planning to do my first 180/200k next week. When I asked a few friends to join, they said they were doing a semi-supported 300k (with almost 3000km of climbing) and to join them (some sort of mechanical assistance and four food stops).

I'm going to sign up with the intention of completing more than half, and plan for bail outs every 20km after 150k (e.g. a train home or there are one or two spots where it passes a much flatter canal route back home) - but just wondering what my chances of finishing it might be?

I typically do 80-100k club spin at the weekends at 25-26kmh, and the odd midweek spin. I'd be a bit faster than the others who want to do it, but all of them have done at least 200km in one go before. My longest ride is 130km (or 110km solo). They are planning on doing it in 17 hours at around 20kmh average with two hours for stops.

Weather looks good but with a risk of a light headwind on the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd say you'll be fine. It's pacing and fuelling - if you're generally faster than the people you're riding with, you should be within your pacing. And good shorts.

fwiw I've done a 200 straight off 2 months of turbo only (albeit following a plan) after a crash. Step ups in distance, particularly audax, it's always my mechanical skills that cause me concern!

Thanks. I've done 100km+ probably about 10 of the last 12 weeks so I'm not in the worst condition but I am worried about fuelling, digestion and simply being on a bike non stop for twice as long as I have in the past.

I'm also not the best mechanically (and I'll be on tubeless tires which can go wrong) but there is some sort of support with this I think.

Need to sign up today so only have a few more hours to make my mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I think the science on this is that you should increase your max distance by about 10 per cent incrementally on long rides. Obviously that's conservative so most people will get away with 20 - 30 % on a one off basis.

However going from 130k - 300k is not a good idea. You may pull it off and you may be grand, but the chances of injury are higher. I know when I did my longest ride I was fine until about 140% of what I was fit enough to do at that point (on the basis of a few recent spins of that distance). Then the legs started to go, I pushed on for another 40 odd k to finish it but I had niggles afterwards and to this day get the same stress pains when I overdo it on the bike

I'd stick to your plan of doing about half the route.

Also, you say you'll be faster, again, I'd go as slowly as you can for the first 60 - 70 % of the ride, if you go fast early on you will pay for it later

In Audax terms, you usually have 20 hours to finish a 300. 3,000m of climbing is not insignificant and after 150km you'll really start to feel it. I reckon you'll be grand for 200km but you'll need to mind yourself for the last 100! Fuelling can be an issue, don't rely on gels to get you round. Make sure you've got good lights, you'll need them for some of the ride.

Do not go out fast at the start, you'll be in the ditch waiting for the broom wagon before the end.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll toss a coin later. My original thought was 200k solo dead flat with a tailwind for the last half so I might try and rope someone in to that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Thanks for all the advice. I'll toss a coin later. My original thought was 200k solo dead flat with a tailwind for the last half so I might try and rope someone in to that

If you know your zones and fuel well its definitely doable. Id you stick to Z2 (60-70 heart rate/power) for the whole thing. Ride at your own pace especially on the hills and just enjoy yourself:)

Advertisement