Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingalian

Options
  • 02-03-2010 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

I recently found out about this language spoken in North Dublin that has since died out in the 19th Century. Anyway, I started a thread about it in the Dublin City forum as there doesn't seem to be much about it in Wikipedia. Any history buffs out there thay can contribute to the thread?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055839929

*Mods I hope you don't mind me starting the thread here when there is one active in another forum. If you want to close this thread I won't take offence :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Interesting stuff if true, but there doesn't seem to be much coming up online about Yola or Fingalian. I don't want to dismiss it out of hand but would've thought there would be something in the library catalogue or more than just the wiki links about these two dialects if they existed. I can imagine how some anthropologists might have had difficulty speaking to the locals in various areas of Ireland and thought they had come across a different dialect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

I read about them years ago, long before Wikipedia (or the Internet)

There is even a written record of a speech by a Yola speaker from the 18th or 19th century - but I can't remember where I saw it.

Here is a page I found through Google.

They were always thought of as being closely related to Middle English.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Interesting thread. There was definitely a dialect of Norman English (Yola?) spoken in the baronies of Forth and Bargy in Wexford in living memory. UCD produced a video about 15 years ago entitled 'The Story of Irish Expression' and in it a Wexford man sings a song in that old dialect.

Well worth contacting UCD's Audio Visual section to get a copy of it.

As for Fingal, Maighréad Ní Mhurchadha would be the person to contact about this question. She wrote the quite excellent Fingal 1603-60: Contending neighbours in north Dublin (Dublin, 2005):

http://www.fourcourtspress.ie/product.php?intProductID=212

Advertisement