Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bealdearg O'Donnell - the false messiah

Options
  • 25-02-2010 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I'm reading a book at the moment called 'Sarsfield and the Jacobites' by Kevin Haddick-Flynn. Flynn writes a short segment on O'Donnell titled 'the false messiah'. The book itself is centered upon the 'War of the 2 Kings' in which Sarsfield played a pivotal role in the Jacobite army in Ireland. I'll try to gaive a brief account of what he wrote.

According to a prophecy(implicitly believed by the peasentry) the liberation of Ireland would be achieved by an O'Donnell with a red mark on his cheek after the Sassanach had been beaten at Limerick. Bealdearg( or Red mouth) O'Donnel had such a mark. A Spanish born brigadier who claimed to be a descendant of the O'Donnell family which was exiled after the 9 years war( The flight of the earls), O'Donnell arrived in Limerick from Spain just before the first Williamite siege of Limerick in August 1690. Bealdearg had gathered about him a motley crew of roughly 8,000 Ulster Gaels and declared that king James cause meant nothing to him as he was the king of Ireland and he would wage war independently on the Williamites. During the siege of Limerick, Bealdearg and his followers did nothing, yet the Williamite defeat boosted his credibility. After the siege Bealdearg and his followers moved into Connacht safely behind Jacobite lines where Bealdearg managed to convert more of the peasentry to his cause. As it turns out Bealderg had been secretly in correspondance with Ginkel(General of the Williamite forces after William had left Ireland) in an attempt to arrange terms for himself upon the expected defeat of the Jacobites. A covert enemy who subsisted on the countryside, using provisions much needed by the Jacobites, it seems that this false messiah played a minor role in the eventual defeat of the Jacobites in Ireland. Prior to the battle of Aughrim in July 1691 a request for soldiers from the Jacobites to Bealdearg and his force of roughly 8,000 went unheeded as he held council somewhere near Tuam. Aughrim proved to be the decisive battle of the war and in effect led to the Penal Laws and to much of dissension that existed in Ireland during the 18th and 19th centuries. Bealdearg had managed to tie up a relatively large force of able bodied men that could have actually fought for the Jacobite cause rather than follow Bealdearg on his false pretence.

Sorry about the length of the post, hope I didn't bore anyone to death. I'm intrigued by Bealdearg O'Donnell. I briefly searched on online for some info on him but found nothing of much relevance. Has anyone else heard of him?

Advertisement