Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earlier war rules

Options
  • 16-02-2010 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm currently working on a short comedy script that sees Hitler lose WWII on a technicality because both sides had agreed to adhere to classic war rules. I remember hearing that rules used to exist such as sides took turns in attacking and army generals could not be killed.

Does anyone have any knowledge on these old war rules or know of any more ridiculous ones?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I've not heard of them, but I believe the old chivalry rules prevented a commoner killing a noble.

In old naval battles, the officers would put all their posh furniture in a long boat and it was considered very bad form to sink your enemies long boat. You could kill the opposing Captain, but not destroy his best armchair!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I believe Rommel tended to avoid attacking British forces around about 4pm, as he considered it ungentlemanly to attack when they were having their tea break. The war in the Western Desert was generally far more 'civilised' (inasmuch as a war can be) than the other theatres.

I don't know if it was a 'rule', as much, but in the American Civil War, battles would effectively stop at night, you'd go back to camp, eat, sleep, and meet up again at daylight the next morning.

For the purposes of your play, I can't think of anything particularly applicable, as, after all, no wars are ever fought with umpires.

So, if you're going to be silly about it, claim that the umpires discovered that 'over 30% of the license plates of German Armoured vehicles had expired' (Most nations actually do put license plates on their military vehicles). The fact that they were 45 miles from Moscow at the time and they have to be registered at the Reichsministry of Motor Vehicles in Berlin is simply not covered under the rules.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

German logistics collapsing having to keep fat Hermann supplied with coke, food and gargle ?

Advertisement