Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any options to refresh laminate counters?

• 09-01-2021 12:16am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I’m trying to find ways of freshening up a fairly basic kitchen without spending a huge amount of money (the plan is to wait and do it properly down the line).

One of the things I’d love to change is the countertops - which are a dark grey laminate.

Is there anything I can do to resurface them, aside from replacing them altogether?

I’ve seen some guides on painting counters, though I’d wonder how well that would hold up to the wear and tear you’d expect from a kitchen.

Anyone have any experience of doing that?

Or is there any other way of sprucing up old counters without changing them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Gamergurll

I used contact paper on mine, renting and hated the counter tops that we had, it worked really well :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Gamergurll wrote: »
    I used contact paper on mine, renting and hated the counter tops that we had, it worked really well :)

Oh, thanks.

Couple of questions -
    How did you find the process of putting it on? And how did it hold up in terms of daily use?

Did you have any issues with it peeling, especially at the edges of the counter where it meets the cabinet doors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

flogen wrote: »
    Oh, thanks.

Couple of questions -
    How did you find the process of putting it on? And how did it hold up in terms of daily use?

Did you have any issues with it peeling, especially at the edges of the counter where it meets the cabinet doors?

A few tricks for using contact paper.
    You'll need a spray bottle, filled with water, a squeegee and a clean dry cloth.
    After cleaning your counter thoroughly, spray water over the surface. Then place your cut and backing removed contact paper.Start from one end while peeling back the backing and continue till the end.
    Use a squeegee over the surface to remove the excess water from underneath.
    Go over it with your clean cloth or tea towel.

This way you shouldn't have any air bubbles and it is quite easy to move the paper into place too.

A few tricks for using contact paper.
    You'll need a spray bottle, filled with water, a squeegee and a clean dry cloth.
    After cleaning your counter thoroughly, spray water over the surface. Then place your cut and backing removed contact paper.Start from one end while peeling back the backing and continue till the end.
    Use a squeegee over the surface to remove the excess water from underneath.
    Go over it with your clean cloth or tea towel.

This way you shouldn't have any air bubbles and it is quite easy to move the paper into place too.

Thanks, that’s really helpful.

Was it better to cut out space for the likes of the sink or hob beforehand, or roll it on and then cut around it with a Stanley blade?

And did you find it hard-wearing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

Was actually looking at doing this also, came across site below which advertised heavy duty stuff suitable for counter tops.

https://www.wrapdirect.com/countertop-wraps/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

You could get the epoxy resin, but it's expensive

coffeyt wrote: »
    Was actually looking at doing this also, came across site below which advertised heavy duty stuff suitable for counter tops.

https://www.wrapdirect.com/countertop-wraps/

Thanks for that - great choice on there (though I would love a butcher block effect which seems to be the only thing they're missing!)
    anewme wrote: »
    You could get the epoxy resin, but it's expensive

Wow - that's a lot more expensive than I expected. I've seen a lot of DIY projects that use epoxy to create a new tabletop etc and always assumed it was a very cheap option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

flogen wrote: »
    Thanks for that - great choice on there (though I would love a butcher block effect which seems to be the only thing they're missing!)

Wow - that's a lot more expensive than I expected. I've seen a lot of DIY projects that use epoxy to create a new tabletop etc and always assumed it was a very cheap option

I'm tempted to go down the wrap route myself. I'm worried it will look wrapped rather than real wood though.

Yeah, that would be a concern. I've seen a few YouTube videos of people who have used wraps and they look pretty good - but they've tended to be marble-effect - and a video isn't going to tell you what it looks like in real life.

I wonder if it might be safer to go with something like a solid colour rather than trying to pretend it's a material like wood.

Advertisement