Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's wrong with this?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The article wouldn't open for me so I can't get the full context of the quote, but I don't believe Julian de Spáinn was saying that people shouldn't use those phrases.

I think the problem is that people are still struggling to learn those phrases in Secondary School when they should have mastered them in Junior Infants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

Here's a better link.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/minister-receives-petition-over-irish-language-education-policy-1.4113755?mode=amp

Ya those comments are not about the phrases themselves but about the lack of progression ... when some learners are hearing the same stuff years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Aufbau

Thanks, that makes sense. I suppose I jumped to conclusions as it's quite a while since I actually spoke any Irish. I had a far better grounding in Irish in primary school them my children had. I think it's down to the proliferation of active learning methods and extra subject matter. Also I think there's a much greater acceptance of low attainment. Mind you, they enjoyed their schooling more than I did mine!

Advertisement