Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Engagement Rings in Dubai

Options
  • 06-09-2015 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi guys,

Just have a few questions for anyone who has done this recently:

Which Jewellers did you use?
    Does anyone have information about what they paid for a ring with the specifications?
    How low can I expect to be able to bargain the original price they give me? - What percentage of the original asking price should I expect to pay?

Just want to know what to expect to pay/ know if I need to bargain harder!

Thanks in advance :)
    Emma

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Bear in mind you will have to pay duty on it when you bring it back to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭honey12345

Hi guys,

Just have a few questions for anyone who has done this recently:

Which Jewellers did you use?
    Does anyone have information about what they paid for a ring with the specifications?
    How low can I expect to be able to bargain the original price they give me? - What percentage of the original asking price should I expect to pay?

Just want to know what to expect to pay/ know if I need to bargain harder!

Thanks in advance :)
    Emma

Yes you can bargain with them. I bought a ring in Dubai two years ago (solitaire ring white gold 1.4 ct) I paid 5000 euro for it got it valued in Weirs Jewelers was valued at 14000. I didn't go over with the intentions of buying a ring. Also when I was stopping at Abu Dhabi for a connecting flight to Ireland I bought a ring for about 900 euro and that was valued at 2000 I didn't bargain with that ring as it was bought at the airport.

Miaireland wrote: »
    Bear in mind you will have to pay duty on it when you bring it back to Ireland.

I paid no duty on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I bought two rings in Dubai roughly about 16 years ago. My original engagement ring was stolen so I needed to replace it. (Long story!)

I can't remember what we spent on the replacement engagement ring but it's a 18 carat gold band with six diamonds. I also bought a ring with one large ruby surrounded by 4 smaller rubies, again the band is 18 carat gold. I think it cost about 60 or 70 punts, at the time. You certainly can bargain and haggle with them. They were very helpful and nice.

I didn't pay any duty on either of the rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

To the people who didn't pay any duty, is this because you were not obliged to, or that you simply didn't declare it? There's a difference

• Advertisement

To the people who didn't pay any duty, is this because you were not obliged to, or that you simply didn't declare it? There's a difference

I dont know! I wasn't told I had to declare it sure I bought one of the rings in the Airport they should have told me. Their fault 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

honey12345 wrote: »
    I dont know! I wasn't told I had to declare it sure I bought one of the rings in the Airport they should have told me. Their fault 100%

Why would it be incumbent on a foreign jeweller to advise you of Irish laws?

Why would it be incumbent on a foreign jeweller to advise you of Irish laws?

When I went to Australlia and tried to buy smokes at the duty free in Dublin Airport they advised me that I can only bring a max of forty smokes into Australia. I bought the ring in the Airport they should have asked me where I was traveling to and that there would be duty to be paid in Dublin airport (good thing they didn't) lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Cara jewlers seems to be the place to go in Dubai. I looked here for a year with the OH and found the quality of construction and finish below par mostly.

We bought in Ireland in Dec as the euro was so weak and I got about 2k tax back.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭DE1991

Has anyone ever purchased an engagement ring online from Dubai? I believe you can get a much better ring for better value from there.. but rather than flying over, im wondering has anyone ever purchased online from a Dubai jeweller?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

We got our engagement ring and wedding bands online from Cara Jewellers

Look up dubaidiamonds on Instagram

Lovely girl from Limerick called Elaine deals with the orders

She'll sort something within your budget once you have an idea what style you want

Very easy to deal with and you get certs with the rings

Advertisement