Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIC Barracks

Options
  • 26-11-2012 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Could anyone direct me to where I might find information on the location of RIC barrcks in the 19th century? I am specifically interested in Maryborough, now Portlaoise.
    Thanks very much
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,288 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Most towns and villages would have had an RIC barracks and something like 100 had military barracks. Around 1907, the RIC barracks would appear to have been at the junction of Main Street and Market Square - marked "Constab": http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,646845,698349,7,9

The 1830-1850 maps (click on HISTORIC 6" and HISTORIC 6" B&W) don't have one marked. However, the courthouse had a Goal (jail) attached, so it might have been there.

There appears to have been a military barracks / fort between Main Street, Railway Street, Church Street and Church Avenue and another barracks on the Abbeyleix Road - now the Garda Station: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,646755,698119,7,9

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Portlaoise Pictures

Thanks very much for your help. Yes, the RIC barracks was at No. 13 Market Square (Marked on Griffith's Valuation map, with further details in 1901 census) as you say, but so far I have been unable to ascertain where it was in the town from the formation of the force until the 1850's. Thanks again and if I can ever help you out with any Maryborough/Portlaoise stuff, just give me a shout.
    Best wishes
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 7 marieabennett

Hi Guys,

The Devia Hibernia (free on-line) is super IMHO.

Best of luck.

Advertisement