Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does a named driver claim on my main car policy affect my 2nd car policy?

Options
  • 20-01-2021 6:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hope someone can help me with this. Our main family car policy is in my name with my wife as a named driver. I have a 2nd car policy in my name for my work commute car for the last 3 years as the sole driver. In the past year my wife had a crash (fender bender) but the claim has been settled. Im aware this will affect my main policy when it is up for renewal but I can't find any information whether her claim on this policy will affect my other policy.
    As a 2nd car policy, I couldn't transfer my NCD so I had to start with none and now should have 3 years at renewal. it seems logical to me that if the NCD on both cars are separate then a claim on one shouldn't affect the other!? Is this correct?

Before this goes off on a tangent, the reason both policies are in my name is because I would still be the driver doing the most mileage in the main family car.
    Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Newuser2

Thewires wrote: »
    Hope someone can help me with this. Our main family car policy is in my name with my wife as a named driver. I have a 2nd car policy in my name for my work commute car for the last 3 years as the sole driver. In the past year my wife had a crash (fender bender) but the claim has been settled. Im aware this will affect my main policy when it is up for renewal but I can't find any information whether her claim on this policy will affect my other policy.
    As a 2nd car policy, I couldn't transfer my NCD so I had to start with none and now should have 3 years at renewal. it seems logical to me that if the NCD on both cars are separate then a claim on one shouldn't affect the other!? Is this correct?

Before this goes off on a tangent, the reason both policies are in my name is because I would still be the driver doing the most mileage in the main family car.
    Thanks for your help.

Check your policy see what it says about notifying them about accidents at renewal or anytime

May not affect the premium but I'm not sure

I don't think it affects your second policy because YOU didn't have the accident.

Plus, well worth getting full ncb protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Thewires wrote: »

Thanks for your help.

It will need to be declared, insurers ask whether you or any drivers had any accidents, claims or convictions in the previous X number of years.

It will need to be declared, insurers ask whether you or any drivers had any accidents, claims or convictions in the previous X number of years.

What other drivers, Drunk Davy down the road?

There is no other person on the policy his is renewing. Why would he refer to his wife?

There is no other person on the policy his is renewing. Why would he refer to his wife?

Good point

Would they ask about any claims you have on any other policy though

They know all the tricks like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The poster said you will be asked about accidents, claims or convictions. The accident is the wife's, but the claim is his and must be declared if asked

They're not that bad when the sh1t hits the fan

But I remember when I had an accident the investigator made a point of asking about other policies

Advertisement