Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you get your pet food?

Options
  • 14-01-2021 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

(Hope this thread is ok mods)

I had been getting our dog and cat food from Amazon, but got an email today saying my 'subscribe and save' items can no longer be sent to Ireland due to Brexit.

Just wondering where people buy their pet food in bulk?

Our dog is on Burns dry food (and a pouch of wet food with his dinner) and the very picky cat is currently only eating Sheba.

Was wondering if anyone uses any Ireland / EU supplier that they found to be good value..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Zooplus.ie is probably your best bet! (My coffee subscribe and save was also cancelled :mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Either from a very local pet shop or from pets direct. Get it next day by DPD or the odd time one of the lads will drop it to me at no charge, I think it must be cause I’m a pretty regular customer & they also have a couple of neighbours to me that seem to order on the same basis. Not sure it would terribly advantageous if you’ve only the one pet though, we’ve 2 dogs & 2 guniea pigs & sometimes the odd foster.

Zooplus has always been a nightmare for me so I gave up using them. Plus they don’t carry a range that is near enough to be used when I don’t want to home cook for the dogs. We’ve a EPI sufferer so watching fat and balancing nutritional content is difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

Zooplus.ie (for Rocco and treats)
    Equipet.ie (for Red Mills) - free delivery over €15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Buy red mills star dog food. 15kg bags. Only nuts the dogs will eat. Buy it at co op superstore

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Mace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Ben Done

Thanks folks.
    A quick look around the various pet stores this morning, including the EU Amazon sites, and it looks like I'll be paying a lot more to keep them fed from now on :(

Ben Done wrote: »
    Thanks folks.
    A quick look around the various pet stores this morning, including the EU Amazon sites, and it looks like I'll be paying a lot more to keep them fed from now on :(

I think we will all be in that position unfortunately :( #brexitstinks

I’m an avid sock knitter and some of my favourite hand dyed sock yarn will be way too dear to justify buying on a regular basis urggg

Ohh I just realised, it’s www.petfooddepot.ie, not pets direct as in my earlier post. They carry Burns.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

My cats love sheba buts it's usually 15 euros, sometimes more for 40 wet pouches in Dunnes. I've been feeding a feral cat for quite a while and after long time of just whiskas and felix I gave him some sheba and the next time I tried to feed him when I didnt have any sheba left he did hes usual 'I love you please feed me' headsbutts, I put out a wet pouch of felix into his bowl, he meowed, disheartedly headed for the window and left, I didnt see him for a day and half after seeing him rock up 3 times a day for a year.

I get the felix for as low as 9 euros for the 40 wet pouches in Dunnes, I really need to squish it up before I feed it to them most of goes uneaten. Sometimes I get the Felix as good as it looks' in the Range for 13 euros, they love that as much as the sheba

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

We've always got Sheba from Amazon, after discovering that was no longer an option and doing a bit of shopping around it appears zooplus is the best value to be found now. We added some treats to take us over the free delivery threshold, which is probably a false economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Pet shop or vets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

My cats love sheba buts it's usually 15 euros, sometimes more for 40 wet pouches in Dunnes. I've been feeding a feral cat for quite a while and after long time of just whiskas and felix I gave him some sheba and the next time I tried to feed him when I didnt have any sheba left he did hes usual 'I love you please feed me' headsbutts, I put out a wet pouch of felix into his bowl, he meowed, disheartedly headed for the window and left, I didnt see him for a day and half after seeing him rock up 3 times a day for a year.

I get the felix for as low as 9 euros for the 40 wet pouches in Dunnes, I really need to squish it up before I feed it to them most of goes uneaten. Sometimes I get the Felix as good as it looks' in the Range for 13 euros, they love that as much as the sheba

This!!!

I have 3 ex-ferals
    All arrived emaciated and in desperate shape, and would eat your hand AND the bowl no matter what was being fed to them :) Like a total moron I gave them a taste of Sheba and Gourmet - the most stupid thing a cat owner can do :mad::( Other cat owners learn from our sad tale!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Has anyone ever used Tails.com for their dogs food?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Katawalah

I've just used petconnection.ie for the first time. They sell the Pet Munchies brand (dog treats) that I was previously buying from Amazon UK.

They are located in Northern Ireland, so apparently there are no import fees when delivering to the ROI.

The pricing was really decent, also the delivery is attractively priced for a 3-5 days delivery. I compared several websites (including Amazon UK, Amazon Spain, etc.) and the best value was this one (cheaper + shorter delivery time + smaller more local business).

I'll update once I get the package :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Darby_321

Has anyone ever used Tails.com for their dogs food?

We have been using tails.com for our cocker spaniel the last few months. He is still only a puppy ~5 months old. He loves the food that arrives and its a good site for showing what portion size to give them based on their weight and activity level.

It seems a bit expensive but we compared to some of the better brands, like Royal Canine and some like that and the price works out pretty much the same.

We will see how the price increases as he grows but for now we are happy enough with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

supervalu; their own brand and raw chicken , delivered every two weeks by ferry.

DPD do not come out here of course so that means buying local which is fine

I hear you re feeding eg sheba. They sent me Whiskas this week and it is going to be rationed to once a week. Or less. With seven cats...

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭jbv

I use this: https://www.alischoice.ie for the last year.
    Superior food, fast delivery.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I use https://www.petfooddepot.ie/ too. Really lovely people if you drop in to their shop anytime too. Delivery is always easy and quick and the price is better than other shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭pauly58

If you are feeding raw then I would recommend https://slaneypetfoods.ie/ .

Katawalah wrote: »
    I've just used petconnection.ie for the first time. They sell the Pet Munchies brand (dog treats) that I was previously buying from Amazon UK.

They are located in Northern Ireland, so apparently there are no import fees when delivering to the ROI.

The pricing was really decent, also the delivery is attractively priced for a 3-5 days delivery. I compared several websites (including Amazon UK, Amazon Spain, etc.) and the best value was this one (cheaper + shorter delivery time + smaller more local business).

I'll update once I get the package :-)

Did this delivery work for you? They've the Red Mills Engage I use on sale currently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Katawalah

Springwell wrote: »
    Did this delivery work for you? They've the Red Mills Engage I use on sale currently

Sorry, I forgot to post back! Yes, it worked and was really fast. I got the delivery within 3 business days (with DPD).

In the end I'm really happy with them. I will repeat and recommend for sure.

Katawalah wrote: »
    Sorry, I forgot to post back! Yes, it worked and was really fast. I got the delivery within 3 business days (with DPD).

In the end I'm really happy with them. I will repeat and recommend for sure.

I was impatient and threw in an order - Thursday 28th, delivered Tuesday 2nd. Good service allowing for the weekend.

Food was about 33% cheaper (€10 a bag) including delivery than anyone local or online in Ireland I can find. Thanks for the heads up!

Advertisement