Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trousers

Options
  • 24-01-2021 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Anyone any good recommendations for MTB trousers? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

This topic seems to come around every now and again. Unsurprising given the likely weather conditions found in Ireland. My own recommendation is Endura MT500 spray trousers. Used them through slop conditions and snow conditions and they work very well and still going strong a couple of years later. They're not 100% waterproof (that's what the 'MT500 waterproof trousers' are for) but they'll catch a lot of water before you start to notice anything. Quick drying too, with ample room around the knees for kneepads underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

I got the Endura MTR Waterproof Trousers from CRC last month... €81.49 They are very light but really nice... only negative is the lack of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Thanks both, will check them out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,927 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Another +1 for Endura brand. I have a few pairs of Endura shorts and Endura "Single track" long trousers which I believe are similar to the MT500s above. (The nice thing about the single track is there's space for knee pads under the trousers, also they're super comfortable for commuting also).

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I'll add to the Endura recommendation. Have the single track trousers and can't fault them. They hold up surprisingly well before letting the water in for something that isn't advertised as waterproof. DWR coating only really gives in around ankles and seat area after prolonged rides in the wet. They'll keep you warm on the coldest of days. Have some MT500 waterproof trousers on the way for those really wet days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Same here with endura. Have the hummvee's and they do the trick. Not water proof but I'm only out for a few hours so don't mind that much. Keeps the mess to a minimum when changing and a quick blast of the hose before going into the washing machine lifts the heavy mud. No problem wearing kneepads with them and a decent pocket too that will take a phone no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Peter T wrote: »
    Same here with endura. Have the hummvee's and they do the trick. Not water proof but I'm only out for a few hours so don't mind that much. Keeps the mess to a minimum when changing and a quick blast of the hose before going into the washing machine lifts the heavy mud. No problem wearing kneepads with them and a decent pocket too that will take a phone no problem

Are the humvees quite baggy or are they tapered?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

They're slightly tapered. I've pretty stout legs so they fit nice for me with pads

The MT500 spray trousers are not 'baggy' but they're not roadie-lycra-fit either; they're more of a 'neat fit' sort of deal, with the bottom of the legs having zip (downs) to close up the leg at the ankle. The trousers have decent stretch in them too. You wont have excess material flapping around like you might find with shorts for example, but you'll still have room at the knees for knee pads underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Are the Endura trousers and also baggy shorts 'true to size' or is it a case of going 'one size up' like a lot of other cycling clothing?

• Advertisement

Are the Endura trousers and also baggy shorts 'true to size' or is it a case of going 'one size up' like a lot of other cycling clothing?

Fairly true to size; or perhaps a case of "closer than most" depending on how your mileage varies as can often be the case. I've never had to size up with Endura (be it tops, shorts or trousers) for what it's worth. If in doubt, consult the website for measurements. Their clothing tends to be a bit more forgiving too with regards stretch. My first pair of Humvee shorts (still got them) were XXL and I was pushing the suggested measurements but they still fit (fvck knows how :pac: ), I'm now down to an XL in trousers and those same shorts still fit quite well - so that gives you an idea of the stretch capabilities. The trousers would be less forgiving in that respect

Thanks Lemming for the quick reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,927 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I only have Endura below the waist stuff so can't comment on their tops. But generally speaking medium has fit me with room to spare whereas roadie stuff in the same size would be painted on to me.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Stark wrote: »
    I only have Endura below the waist stuff so can't comment on their tops. But generally speaking medium has fit me with room to spare whereas roadie stuff in the same size would be painted on to me.

Okay that's great to hear because I'm a large in Endura road clothing but I've just ordered MTB Singletrack shorts in a size medium. I will report back when they arrive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'll throw my 2 cents in. Currently have Alpinestars Nevada pants, not too bad but after 2hrs you would be starting to feel damp. Decent fit (size36, 5'10" tall) and can wear knee pads underneath.
    Also have Alpinestars Tahoo jacket which is very good. Wear it on most rides at present. I'd probably look at the Tahoo pants next time on the back of my experience of the jacket.

Also have Endura hummervee shorts which are good but more of a wet gear material than the Alpinestars. Would say they probably aren't as baggy either but hard to say as they're only shorts.

Okay that's great to hear because I'm a large in Endura road clothing but I've just ordered MTB Singletrack shorts in a size medium. I will report back when they arrive :D

I tried out the Endura Single-track shorts at the weekend and I'm very happy with them :)

Advertisement