Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power to outlying CCTV

Options
  • 17-05-2021 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

I know nothing about electrics except how to switch on , off and not electrocute myself.

Any advice on how to power CCTV on remote areas of the farm. My closest connection is 200m at the house. There are issues with solar panels due to forestry, and similarly for small turbines.

How far will an extension go before current is lost? Any advice on how to power the cameras appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

So there is no power on the farm at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You can do it via PoE. It's pushing it but doable.

100m - PoE Repeater - 100m - Camera. You'll need to house the repeater in a weatherproof box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭biddyearley

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    So there is no power on the farm at all?
    Mains supply at the house need to go 200m though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

POE with 1/2 inline repeaters is the way, but may as well run power while running the CAT6. You'll need to size the cable for the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Mains supply at the house need to go 200m though

I would say run an SWA bringing power to the shed as a first step. This can be used to power the cameras, future lighting etc.

The cameras can be transmitted back to the house and onto internet via a wireless Ethernet bridge. These are now used commonly and are reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭biddyearley

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Much appreciated.

Advertisement