Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding present - Japanese Acer or similar?

Options
  • 18-05-2021 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi all,

I need to get a wedding present for an old old friend. Budget is approx €300 to €400 (double what I would normally give, but there are reasons for that that I won't go into here).

The couple recently did up their garden, but there is space for more planting.

So I am thinking of getting them a japanese acer or similar specimen tree. There are two spots in their garden where it would go nicely.

It is the practical side that is putting me off. Could I get one in a pot? Could they keep it in a pot until ready to plant? Could I get them one delivered, and ask the nursery that they be allowed swap it for another if they don't like it?

Is it too random a present? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jr.Box

tree fern

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would love that as a present, but other people might not, depends on the individual.

You could get them a nice, smaller shrub then add a voucher for the balance from a good garden centre, so you still have an actual gift to give but they can choose what they want at their leisure.

Edit - there are quite a lot of roses,and also some shrubs, with 'wedding-y names, that might be appropriate as the 'gift plant'.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭ax530

sounds lovely, guess step one contact garden centre order pay for tree and check out delivery options. Hopefully they will be flexible when understand situation.
    You could then tell your friend I have got you a present from X you can them to arrange delivery. Or call in to view\exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭JPup

looksee wrote: »
    I would love that as a present, but other people might not, depends on the individual.

You could get them a nice, smaller shrub then add a voucher for the balance from a good garden centre, so you still have an actual gift to give but they can choose what they want at their leisure.

Edit - there are quite a lot of roses,and also some shrubs, with 'wedding-y names, that might be appropriate as the 'gift plant'.

Paying €300-400 for a single plant means you are either buying something very exotic or very mature usually. You could buy a small acer for €20 in a garden centre that would be just as good in a few years!

I like looksee's suggestion of a more modestly-priced plant with a wedding name that they can grow as a reminder of the wedding day and your friendship and then a voucher to the local garden centre to round it off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

€300 would get you a very good sized acer in a pot, yes.
    i'd say any nursery would not turn down the €300, if the understanding was that it would be exchanged for credit rather than a refund.

if you're in dublin, call out to tully's nurseries, they have trees of all sorts of shapes and sizes (up to probably ten times your budget)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭standardg60

€300 would get you a very good sized acer in a pot, yes.
    i'd say any nursery would not turn down the €300, if the understanding was that it would be exchanged for credit rather than a refund.

if you're in dublin, call out to tully's nurseries, they have trees of all sorts of shapes and sizes (up to probably ten times your budget)

+1

Nothing like a mature Acer for the wow factor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I am an experienced gardener and would be horrified at that gift. It would be beautiful of course but I would never relax in fear of it dying. I recently got a present of a semi mature tree priced about €150 and, while I love it, I would have preferred a smaller version that would grow in time. Also it is not really suited to my garden and will need a lot of winter care for the future, it is not fully frost hardy.

A smaller specimen and a gift token would be wonderful and allow them to choose other plants or a selection of pots which they may desire.

It is a very generous gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭randomguy

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Thinking 1 big one because (1) they have bought a fair few plants for their garden already, so not much space, and (2) they really believe in a long-term object not money as wedding presents.

Thinking an acer because there is a strong red one in the garden next door, visible from their decking, that it would work well with, and which they like. I did think about one of those tree ferns, but it wouldn't suit the garden.

Am I right in thinking that if I get a mature potted one, they can keep it in the pot for a year or so, and that even in the pot it would be a nice addition to the garden until they decide where to plant it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Only place to go for an acer is Mount Venus Nursery in rathfarnham, they have the amazing bonsai acers for sale as well as many mature acers in pots that can be delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

also consider a bonsai pine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭randomguy

wildwillow wrote: »
    I am an experienced gardener and would be horrified at that gift. It would be beautiful of course but I would never relax in fear of it dying. I recently got a present of a semi mature tree priced about €150 and, while I love it, I would have preferred a smaller version that would grow in time. Also it is not really suited to my garden and will need a lot of winter care for the future, it is not fully frost hardy.

A smaller specimen and a gift token would be wonderful and allow them to choose other plants or a selection of pots which they may desire.

It is a very generous gift.

That's partly why I excluded a tree fern. Too delicate. Would stress me out, even the symbolism of a wedding present potentially dying in front of their eyes!!
    Would a mature japanese acer be hardy enough that they could take it as a gift, leave it in the pot, and put it in a sunny wind-sheltered corner until they decide where exactly to plant it, without too much stress or worry?

It is generous, but one of the couple has been very generous to me and I want to, and can now, repay it. And they are the type to give antiques as wedding presents, rather than cash or vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭standardg60

randomguy wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

Thinking 1 big one because (1) they have bought a fair few plants for their garden already, so not much space, and (2) they really believe in a long-term object not money as wedding presents.

Thinking an acer because there is a strong red one in the garden next door, visible from their decking, that it would work well with, and which they like. I did think about one of those tree ferns, but it wouldn't suit the garden.

Am I right in thinking that if I get a mature potted one, they can keep it in the pot for a year or so, and that even in the pot it would be a nice addition to the garden until they decide where to plant it?

Yes no problem at all to keep in the pot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Nozebleed wrote: »
    Only place to go for an acer is Mount Venus Nursery in rathfarnham, they have the amazing bonsai acers for sale as well as many mature acers in pots that can be delivered.

Agree they have some lovely stuff. Definitely recommend them.
    Cornus controversa Variegata - Wedding Cake tree . If you really want a tree that fits the event :)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

I was going to suggest Cornus Controversa aka Wedding Cake Tree, also! Beautiful tree

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

Have they an interest in Gardening? I wouldnt go for a specific tree. As a gardener id love either tools like Sneerboer or DeWitt that will last me a lifetime or a Gift Voucher for Mount Venus Nursery in Dublin. If they want to get an acer they have them or they also have a great selection of plants they can help you with. Sneeboer do engraving and also come to think of it they have a loveheart trowel.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Cdub

Great present.
    My brother in law got an Acer Bloodgood for a wedding present (they are semi interested in the garden) and they love it.
    Special on a lot of levels.
    Go with your instinct.
    My only thoughts on which one would be the size of the eventual tree in relation to their garden size and if this is their final home.
    A great present and memory to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

randomguy wrote: »
    Hi all,

I need to get a wedding present for an old old friend. Budget is approx €300 to €400 (double what I would normally give, but there are reasons for that that I won't go into here).

The couple recently did up their garden, but there is space for more planting.

So I am thinking of getting them a japanese acer or similar specimen tree. There are two spots in their garden where it would go nicely.

It is the practical side that is putting me off. Could I get one in a pot? Could they keep it in a pot until ready to plant? Could I get them one delivered, and ask the nursery that they be allowed swap it for another if they don't like it?

Is it too random a present? Any thoughts?

I was up in Doyle's Nursery out in Cabinteely recently and they had a good selection of Japanese Acers in pots.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

Irish Rare Plant Nursery in Corkagh Park - Finlay will happily help you pick something suitable and has amazing specimens of unusual plants including plenty of Acers.

Picked up some plants for a 60th there recently including two fabulous Prunus (including Serrula which has wonderful peeling copper bark) and a selection of unusual/hard to find peonies and veratrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I think it's a good idea, but you would have to somehow relay that the present has a significant value, or know that they are already aware of the value of an Acer. Some people just see "work" in a pot.

I bought a Bloodgood in Feb from Doyle's and I have planted it in a position where I know I'll be able to make it into a feature in the coming years, but I must also add that positioning of such a dramatic plant needs forethought, so they may need assistance with that area or things.

If you want to "sell" them the concept, drop down to the Japanese Gardens where you'll see all manner of Japanese Acers on display.

Advertisement