Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Stephen's day 26th Dec

Options
  • 24-12-2019 10:19pm

Hello all and a Happy Christmas to everyone, posters and lurkers alike.

Have been having a look and have found a few that should hopefully go well at a working (or unemployed - moreso in fact) man's (woman's too) price :p

Will be concentrating on mainly the English meetings, as life's far too short to try to find anything worth having a bet on this side of the pond. A winner's a winner whether it crosses the line in front, or places at a price it's a winner, regardless of the quality of race. A 5/1 winner in a "donkey derby" at Sedgefield say is just as good as a 5/1 winner in a grade1 at Leopardstown.

Anyway, will hope to post them up when selections are finalised with points recommendations (smallish; on a scale of 1-5 majority will be ITRO of 1pt e/w or thereabouts, for those, ie me who like to see the strength of opinion behind them).

The following is an unfortunate, yet righteous and timely diatribe vis our enjoyment - or lack thereof of regarding viewing said racing.

All being equal I hopefully will be able to at least watch the flippin' racing on TV!! Maybe i'm old (not that old) school but, and this partly speaks to what I was on about 3 Para's up but I do NOT want to go thru the bs of downloading apps or opening up a bet365 account (just using them as an example) to watch the racing. It's called "Racing Tv" , not "watch racing on your phone or ipad or thru the gogglebox via an app tv". Not to mention folk who know even less about the interweb etc than me; as well as (straying into tinfoil hat territory here) the erosion of privacy about people's viewing habits through cookies -yeah, they sound very innocuous:rolleyes: and other tracking mechanisms.

This is despite what vested interested types like R. Walsh might say and the man does spout a lot of whatever rubbish that suits him. Going Joe Brolly here and can easily say he was far and away the greatest jump jockey ever, but as a mon ....?

He can preface his "company man" propaganda with cr#p like just download this or that app or just log on here or there. All I want to do when it comes to watching racing on television is to turn it on and hit 3 numbers; likewise when I want to change channel:mad:

This has all come about because greedy HRI decided to sell the rights to Irish racing, with no consideration to punters.. Not to mention paying up to 25 flippin Euros a month for the privilege.. It's days like this the chickens are coming home to roost and no amount of mitigation and PR doubletalk will lessen this shambles of a situation.

I reckon I speak on behalf of 99% of Irish punters here.. Some talk of putting racing on, I think channel(s) 422 & or 435. We'll no doubt, after this, when the dust settles be told by all those well paid vested interested types how it was a resounding success with; perhaps, no small amount of qualification re a few small teething problems or we'll have a look into how things can be improved "going forward". No one will be fooled by this. Nor will their ire be any lessened by being told that "this is the way of things going forward.
    /rant.

Anyway back to the topic at hand I'll post them up in due course in case people are unmotivated or not getting any inspiration themselves.

Good luck and enjoy the festivities and the racing also :)

Once again Happy Christmas

Comments

Hello all and a Merry Christmas to thee,
    The jury is in on the selections and I have to admit in the main I hope to at least hold my own and would not put anyone off on having 50cents or a euro on them.

That being said I am a tad disappointed at the prices of some of the shorter ones. I was thinking they would be a couple of points or so bigger. That's why I have recommended going each way on a horse say for example between 9/4 and 3/1 when I figured, according to the probable sp's they would be 4/1 plus. Hopefully those ones will drift a bit. Anyway for the purposes of this thread I will keep with the e/w recommendations on those ones. One goes at Sedgefield and one at Wetherby and one at Market Rasen.

Very difficult also, in advance to legislate for jockey changes/ non runners/ defections so apologies in advance for that. Not going to quote prices as these can fluctuate a lot between now and when racing commences, so no one can crib if say one is currently 16/1 and somehow comes into 15/2 come morning prices.

For all that these are my picks

Sedgefield
    11.50 Schlipf 1pt e/w Better than what it's shown, benefit from break
    Sory 1pt e/w Standing dish here, not getting any younger, should run its race off low weight
    I'm also including Honourmission with the above 2 for combination forecasts and tricasts. 6 forecasts x 1/4 pt, 6 tricasts x 1/4 pt

12.25 O'Hanrahan Bridge 2pts win Up against a worthy fav (Induno), This seven year old receives 7lbs and this could make the difference.

12.55 Grand Coureur 1pt e/w second last time out, good enough for me

1.30 Stonific 1pt e/w *shorter than I thought* Has the benefit of 2 runs. Only 2 places but should fill one of them

2.05 Mountain Hawk 1pt e/w Should have more to offer on only third chase start

2.40 Nicely Indeed 1pt e/w I like this one to be staying on late in the piece to nab some of the spoils.

3.15 Innisfree Spirit 2pts win Will know her job this time

Wetherby
    11.55 Highland Gold 1pt e/w shouldn't be far away if seeing trip out

12.30 Madera Mist 1pt e/w performed well in pt to points, chance
    Bene Regina 1pt e/w Was staying on well last time over shorter, claims

1.00 Just Call Me Al 1pt e/w Won well last time under today's jockey

1.35 Just Don't Ask 1pt win & 1pt w/o fav (Sammy bell) *another I thought would be a bigger price* Should give the favourite a run for his money

2.10 Wakanda 1pt e/w Goes well here
    Lake View Lad 2pts win Class act in race

2.45 Rare Clouds 1pt e/w Makes most appeal in a tricky race

3.20 Flamboyant Joyaux 1pt win Nothing else of interest here

Wolverhampton
    1.40 Atletico 1pt e/w Is long overdue one though going by betting either a plunge or unlikely to run

2.15 The Kyllachy Touch 1/2 pt e/w & 1/2 pt e/w w/o fav (get boosting). Needs to improve but price reflects this

3.25 Amor Fati 1pt e/w Course and distance winner

3.55 Pactolus 1pt win Won this last year

4.25 Cherries At Dawn 1pt e/w Ran well here before - big price

4.55 Merhoob 2pts win A good horse

Fontwell
    12.15 Parlour Maid 1pt win & 1pt e/w Massive chance if can leave last time out shenanigans behind. Johnson's mount looks like the one to beat

12.45 Miss Harriett 1/2 pt e/w and 1/2 pt e/w w/o manucci. Place claims here, first run was in a fast run race.

1.15 Sambella 1pt e/w Improvement needed on jumps debut. Both of Gary Moore's could have a say. Place will do here.

1.50 Tanrudy 1pt e/w Hoping the blinkers will help this young horse. Again Gary Moore has the one to beat. He trained last yr's winner also(chivers) who has 1st run for new trainer.

2.25 Here's Herbie 1pt e/w Wouldn't rule out a Christmas time Gardner punt here. At a decent price Notre Ami could also go well though probably prefers further at this level.

3.00 Going for three here
    Megaboost 1pt win 2nd last year, now a year older (obviously)
    Inspireus 1pt win Chance if not hitting front too soon
    Bellamy's Grey 1pt win Very very interesting

3.35 Two here
    Spirit Of Rome 1pt e/w Very speculative, plummeting down the weights
    Irska 1pt win First time in a handicap, shoud like ground

Market Rasen
    12.05 Minella Fiveo 2pts win *another I hoped to be a bigger price* Bunch of donkeys with mainly one way of racing - hell for leather from the getgo. The selection can at least run a hold up race and makes him the bet(was going to say value but anyhow) here

12.35 Multellie 1pt e/w Think this will be in the first three

1.05 Maxed Out King 1pt win Smidgen of value here

1.40 Neachells Bridge 1pt e/w Will do for me here

2.15 Zerachiel 1pt win Second here last year

2.50 Wye Aye 1pt e/w If this one settles it could have a say

3.25 Torrid 1pt e/w Consistent enough sort

Kempton

12.50 Getaway Fred 1pt win Just shades it over the Henderson fav due to hurdles experience

1.20 Two here
    Simply The Betts 1 1/2pts win Could be simply the best here
    Fidux 1 1/2pts win also Ran well behind Dashel Drasher on seasonal bow.
    Also 1/2 point reverse forecast on these

1.55 Black Op 2 pts win Wins if he stays, dependable jumper

2.30 Two here also
    Fusil Raffles 1pt win Unbeaten, ground a minor concern. Price middling not great.
    Epatante 1pt win Could be 1-2 for Nicky Henderson
    Also 1/2pt reverse forecast on these

3.05 Lostintranslation 2 pts win Robbie Power to hold this one up off the likely strong pace to come cruising to win hard held. Might even do a Carberry and shoot the breeze with the losing jockey on his way to victory in today's showpiece.

3.40 Mr Pumblechook 2pts win Taken a massive leap in form last two runs, deserving fav

Good luck with the punting and Happy New Year

Hello all and a Merry Christmas to thee,
    The jury is in on the selections and I have to admit in the main I hope to at least hold my own and would not put anyone off on having 50cents or a euro on them.

That being said I am a tad disappointed at the prices of some of the shorter ones. I was thinking they would be a couple of points or so bigger. That's why I have recommended going each way on a horse say for example between 9/4 and 3/1 when I figured, according to the probable sp's they would be 4/1 plus. Hopefully those ones will drift a bit. Anyway for the purposes of this thread I will keep with the e/w recommendations on those ones. One goes at Sedgefield and one at Wetherby and one at Market Rasen.

Very difficult also, in advance to legislate for jockey changes/ non runners/ defections so apologies in advance for that. Not going to quote prices as these can fluctuate a lot between now and when racing commences, so no one can crib if say one is currently 16/1 and somehow comes into 15/2 come morning prices.

For all that these are my picks

Sedgefield
    11.50 Schlipf 1pt e/w Better than what it's shown, benefit from break
    Sory 1pt e/w Standing dish here, not getting any younger, should run its race off low weight
    I'm also including Honourmission with the above 2 for combination forecasts and tricasts. 6 forecasts x 1/4 pt, 6 tricasts x 1/4 pt

12.25 O'Hanrahan Bridge 2pts win Up against a worthy fav (Induno), This seven year old receives 7lbs and this could make the difference.

12.55 Grand Coureur 1pt e/w second last time out, good enough for me

1.30 Stonific 1pt e/w *shorter than I thought* Has the benefit of 2 runs. Only 2 places but should fill one of them

2.05 Mountain Hawk 1pt e/w Should have more to offer on only third chase start

2.40 Nicely Indeed 1pt e/w I like this one to be staying on late in the piece to nab some of the spoils.

3.15 Innisfree Spirit 2pts win Will know her job this time

Wetherby
    11.55 Highland Gold 1pt e/w shouldn't be far away if seeing trip out

12.30 Madera Mist 1pt e/w performed well in pt to points, chance
    Bene Regina 1pt e/w Was staying on well last time over shorter, claims

1.00 Just Call Me Al 1pt e/w Won well last time under today's jockey

1.35 Just Don't Ask 1pt win & 1pt w/o fav (Sammy bell) *another I thought would be a bigger price* Should give the favourite a run for his money

2.10 Wakanda 1pt e/w Goes well here
    Lake View Lad 2pts win Class act in race

2.45 Rare Clouds 1pt e/w Makes most appeal in a tricky race

3.20 Flamboyant Joyaux 1pt win Nothing else of interest here

Wolverhampton
    1.40 Atletico 1pt e/w Is long overdue one though going by betting either a plunge or unlikely to run

2.15 The Kyllachy Touch 1/2 pt e/w & 1/2 pt e/w w/o fav (get boosting). Needs to improve but price reflects this

3.25 Amor Fati 1pt e/w Course and distance winner

3.55 Pactolus 1pt win Won this last year

4.25 Cherries At Dawn 1pt e/w Ran well here before - big price

4.55 Merhoob 2pts win A good horse

Fontwell
    12.15 Parlour Maid 1pt win & 1pt e/w Massive chance if can leave last time out shenanigans behind. Johnson's mount looks like the one to beat

12.45 Miss Harriett 1/2 pt e/w and 1/2 pt e/w w/o manucci. Place claims here, first run was in a fast run race.

1.15 Sambella 1pt e/w Improvement needed on jumps debut. Both of Gary Moore's could have a say. Place will do here.

1.50 Tanrudy 1pt e/w Hoping the blinkers will help this young horse. Again Gary Moore has the one to beat. He trained last yr's winner also(chivers) who has 1st run for new trainer.

2.25 Here's Herbie 1pt e/w Wouldn't rule out a Christmas time Gardner punt here. At a decent price Notre Ami could also go well though probably prefers further at this level.

3.00 Going for three here
    Megaboost 1pt win 2nd last year, now a year older (obviously)
    Inspireus 1pt win Chance if not hitting front too soon
    Bellamy's Grey 1pt win Very very interesting

3.35 Two here
    Spirit Of Rome 1pt e/w Very speculative, plummeting down the weights
    Irska 1pt win First time in a handicap, shoud like ground

Market Rasen
    12.05 Minella Fiveo 2pts win *another I hoped to be a bigger price* Bunch of donkeys with mainly one way of racing - hell for leather from the getgo. The selection can at least run a hold up race and makes him the bet(was going to say value but anyhow) here

12.35 Multellie 1pt e/w Think this will be in the first three

1.05 Maxed Out King 1pt win Smidgen of value here

1.40 Neachells Bridge 1pt e/w Will do for me here

2.15 Zerachiel 1pt win Second here last year

2.50 Wye Aye 1pt e/w If this one settles it could have a say

3.25 Torrid 1pt e/w Consistent enough sort

Kempton

12.50 Getaway Fred 1pt win Just shades it over the Henderson fav due to hurdles experience

1.20 Two here
    Simply The Betts 1 1/2pts win Could be simply the best here
    Fidux 1 1/2pts win also Ran well behind Dashel Drasher on seasonal bow.
    Also 1/2 point reverse forecast on these

1.55 Black Op 2 pts win Wins if he stays, dependable jumper

2.30 Two here also
    Fusil Raffles 1pt win Unbeaten, ground a minor concern. Price middling not great.
    Epatante 1pt win Could be 1-2 for Nicky Henderson
    Also 1/2pt reverse forecast on these

3.05 Lostintranslation 2 pts win Robbie Power to hold this one up off the likely strong pace to come cruising to win hard held. Might even do a Carberry and shoot the breeze with the losing jockey on his way to victory in today's showpiece.

3.40 Mr Pumblechook 2pts win Taken a massive leap in form last two runs, deserving fav

Good luck with the punting and Happy New Year

Brutal.. Losses are to be expected in this game, admittedly not by me yesterday as I was pretty confident of making a return. However, the level of those losses was completely unacceptable by me.
    Apologies if anyone followed.
    Taking a break from the gee gees

Advertisement