Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budapest in December

Options
  • 02-02-2020 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hi all, planning a trip here for three nights in early December for my boyfriends birthday prezzie. Any tips of things to do would be great! Also, I'm wondering is three nights enough? Will be staying in self catering accommodation around District V or VI. All tips appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I live a couple of hours drive from Budapest.

You'll likely check out the lovely Christmas fair at that time of year. Maybe a boat trip on the Danube if the weather is ok.

It's quite compact for the touristy sites, you will get around most of it in a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I was there for the first weekend of December last year. I liked it a lot. For me;

The Good:
    Christmas markets
    Walking tour - we did this one http://www.triptobudapest.hu/ Took about 3 hours, and was very enjoyable and we gave a decent tip.
    Card payments - most places took cards, even a lot of market stalls, so Revolut was brilliant.
    River tour at night - cheap, pleasant enough, if your expectations aren't too high. Took about an hour. City in lights is beautiful.
    Walk around the Parliament & River promenade, taking in the Shoes on the Danube Bank memorial.

The Bad:
    Ruin Bars: I only went to one and it did absolutely nothing for me. I'm not a clean freak by any means, but after a trip to the ladies, my skin was crawling and I just couldn't wait to leave. Huge abundance of plastic glasses too. It all just felt a bit grotty and uber trendy. But hey, I'm old :o

We walked our socks off, but never made it to the baths. Tonnes of eating options covering all budgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,131 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There's a nice big ice skating rink at City Park Ice Rink and Boating. It's massive and outdoor and you can get some hot drinks there, alcoholic & non-alcoholic.

The baths are really cool during the winter months, even through the really low temperatures. I've only been to Széchenyi Thermal Bath, twice, but it's meant to be the better one. They do host pool parties etc there too. They also sell drinks.

Ruin Bars are a must IMO, go to a few. Szimpla Kert is the one I remember the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

There is the Central Hall which is quite nice. A couple of nice Belgian beer bars too...

Lovely city... i definitely prefer in the winter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭con747

dmm82 wrote: »
    Hi all, planning a trip here for three nights in early December for my boyfriends birthday prezzie. Any tips of things to do would be great! Also, I'm wondering is three nights enough? Will be staying in self catering accommodation around District V or VI. All tips appreciated. Thanks

I would make sure you can get full refunds for anything you intend booking. We don't fully understand how this virus could curtail movement into next winter.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

con747 wrote: »
    I would make sure you can get full refunds for anything you intend booking. We don't fully understand how this virus could curtail movement into next winter.

Haven't booked flights yet, will hold off for a while now!

Advertisement