Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Irish person

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Homelander wrote: »
    You don't have to like him, but to actually pretend like he's not globally well known is just farcical.

It's actually a weird form of delusion to be honest.

Boxing match with Floyd Mayweather 2nd highest PPV of all-time, his various scandals were carried on news-desks all over the world, but sure, no-one's really heard of him.

To be honest I'm not claiming he'll have a lasting legacy or continue to be famous, more in this moment of time he's certainly up there.

Nothing to do with not liking him tbh, hey maybe im wrong on this score and he is widely known globally but comparing him to Ronaldo and Woods, come on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Gerry Adams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Never heard of him

I was excluding you, and most Irish people, from the billions. All fans of cricket would know him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

FVP3 wrote: »
    U2 arent that famous anymore. So not Bono. Probably in terms of total countries in the world who know his name, McGregor might be there.

Eoin Morgan is known by billions.

Good point
    In India and Pakistan alone millions would be aware of him.

[/b]
    Good point
    In India and Pakistan alone millions would be aware of him.

yes, in fact 709 million people watched the 2019 cricket WC live last year. The global cumulative average ( whatever that is) audience was 1.6 billion viewers

He was captain of the England team, of course.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/media-releases/1346930

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

Homelander wrote: »
    I completely agree and he has global reach like no other MMA fighter's ever had before, which he's deliberately cultivated since day one.

He's a bit like the "Hulk Hogan" of the MMA world - a face that even people who have zero interest or, or any knowledge of, MMA, recognize and associate with it.

You could mention pretty much any current UFC division champion to a room of average, off-the-street people and they wouldn't know who you were talking about in most cases.

99% of people on the street in Ireland know who McGregor is. Most people in the world have heard of McGregor. Particularly in North America, South America, and Europe, he's extremely well known, but he's well known globally.

Claims of "he's not known by people over 25" or "if he wasn't Irish we'd never have heard of him" are just really strange manifestations of such blind hatred for the man that they can't accept facts.

You see the usual guff over on the MMA forum from certain posters as well - he's a big fraud, crap fighter, his record of 22-4 with 19 KO's is all fake, etc.

They'll perform olympic level mental gymnastics to discredit the man. Like, fine, he's a massive tool, but facts are facts.

Yeah, I've no particular interest in McGregor and have never watched a UFC fight, but anecdotally when travelling in various different parts of the world in the last few years, McGregor was the name that people would bring up when you tell them you're Irish.

A few people I can think of that have transcended their sport (relatively recent):-

- Roger Federer
    - Le Bron James (maybe)
    - Messi & Ronaldo
    - Tiger Woods
    - Venus Williams
    - Usain Bolt

Conor McTapper ain't on my list personally.

LeBron - No chance. I'd wager that if you asked everyone on the planet more people would know McGregor.
    Venus - Serena is way more famous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sinead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

LeBron - No chance. I'd wager that if you asked everyone on the planet more people would know McGregor.

Maybe I meant Serena- the more famous one anyway.

yes, in fact 709 million people watched the 2019 cricket WC live last year. The global cumulative average ( whatever that is) audience was 1.6 billion viewers

He was captain of the England team, of course.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/media-releases/1346930

He is known for the being the English cricket captain. I am not sure how many would see him as Irish as such which is just as well. If you are lining up for the English team or any other foreign team- you are not Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

U2 arent that famous anymore. So not Bono. Probably in terms of total countries in the world who know his name, McGregor might be there.

Eoin Morgan is known by billions.
    Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Golf is huge in the US, China, Japan etc. And McIlroy is the world no 1 player. Extremely well known.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Henry Sellers.

He made the BBC

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Henry Sellers.

He made the BBC

If you're explaining you're losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Archeron

I'd agree with a previous poster and say Enya must be up there. I'm not into her spooky warbling but she is one of the best selling musical artists of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Collin Farrell. There's a list of successful Irish actors but Farrell has consistently been in the limelight since he broke Hollywood.

Michael O’Leary

Edgware wrote: »
    Who?

Eoin Morgan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Eoin Morgan.

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I don’t want to alarm anyone but there may be an owl, or owls, in the thread.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Shane Macgowan

ewc78 wrote: »
    Who?

Ask your mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Ask your mother.

You’ll do nuttin’!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Ask your mother.

She died about 30 years ago when I was 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Golf is huge in the US, China, Japan etc. And McIlroy is the world no 1 player. Extremely well known.

It's not huge in China though, but I suppose he wouldn't be a bad shout given that he's the number one in the world at his sport, so I'd say most sports fans would have at least been familiar with the name.

Bono and U2 are generally not well known in Asia. I'd say Ronan Keating is better known to be honest and that Niall ? fellow who is a singer.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Enya would probably be up there, even if we don't hear much from her these days.

Nearly every hip hop artist out there has sampled her whale music. Listen carefully and you’d see . Eg ready or not by Fugees, and a few more

Sinead O’Connor would have caused a big stir in the 1990s with the shaved head but pretty face and ripping up the photo of the Pope and being right about the abuse long before many publicly called the church out

In America, it was definitely Maureen O’Hara (Fitsimmons) ALOT of the Plastic Paddies in the US ,and websites like Irish Central are obsessed about here

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Rory McIlroy

Basketball is the second most watched and played sport globally, after soccer . His the undisputed face of the NBA and has a “storied” background (Yanks love a good story ) NBA is huge in North America and some regions in South America and massive in places like China and Japan AND Australia ,who take basketball seriously . In Europe, surprisingly, there are rather large bastions of Basketballers in places like Spain and ALL of the Baltic Nations & Ex Yougoslavian States ,where b ball is more or less their number one sport ,and Turkey

As big as Jordan ? With the Nike brand ? Maybe not (the latest trend is Netflix Last Dance , MJ was huge globally )

Le Bron has people of all races n colour n creed knowing who he is in the US . McGregor ? ,getting there but much of it is white lads claiming to be Orish and anyone who follows MMA .

ewc78 wrote: »
    She died about 30 years ago when I was 10.

Well then ask Google.

• Advertisement

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Collin Farrell. There's a list of successful Irish actors but Farrell has consistently been in the limelight since he broke Hollywood.

Colin is a good actor and his film choice in the last decade have been interesting , he’s brilliant in dark comedies eg In Brugge , And Seven Psychopaths the one with Nicole Kidman and the latest Guy Richie film but he failed as a leading man (not his fault ) eg Alexander and Miami Vice. He was more notorious in Hollywood as a “hell raiser “ (without being an arsehole like others ) he’s kinda ,intentionally, shunned the limelight of Hollywood and get his head down and worked on good films that weren’t big big big movies .

Consistently? Not really but sod the limelight , he’s now an actor with substance , he did after all win a golden globe. In his early days and despite some fine appearances in Minority Report n the war film with Willis n Phone Booth ,he flattered to deceive

Advertisement