Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't go to yours.

Options
  • 23-09-2015 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭

The title is one of the famous sayings of Yogi Berra, a US Baseball player and manager, who died yesterday at the age of 90. He had a ... unique way with words, you could say:
    Yogi Berra wrote:
    If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there.

Baseball is 90% mental - the other half is physical.

You can observe a lot by watching.

If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

It's déjà vu all over again.

It ain't over 'til it's over.

I really didn't say everything I said. [...] Then again, I might have said 'em, but you never know.
    The Hanna-Barbera people strongly denied that Yogi Bear was in any way based on Yogi Berra, when he sued them. but ... ;)

(He was a pretty good baseball player too, helping the NY Yankees to 10 World Series wins in his 17 years as their catcher.)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jesus I thought he had been dead for years. Man that was some innings(pun intended).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Another answer he allegedly gave was when asked did he want his pizza cut into 4 slices or 6, he said 4 as he didn't feel hungry enough to eat 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

That man was a genius. RIP. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

He was damn right, if there was a poor turnout to my funeral I'd die of embarrasment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭tampopo

I suppose, you could include him out, now....

• Advertisement

He sounds like he might have been George W's public speaking coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Another answer he allegedly gave was when asked did he want his pizza cut into 4 slices or 6, he said 4 as he didn't feel hungry enough to eat 6.

Heard that one attributed to Jason McAteer.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Candie wrote: »
    He sounds like he might have been George W's public speaking coach.

Gift of the gab in a way!

Advertisement