Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who are these people?

Options
  • 21-09-2015 4:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭

The other day I was down doing the shopping and there were two families in there together. They appeared East European, but not typically East European at the same time. The men wore kind of, well, it is a bit hard to describe, nearly a bit like something some lad backpacking across India might adopt, or maybe a bit of a dirty hipster look. The women wore clothes that looked like something from the 1800's, not unlike these women

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutterite#/media/File:Hutterite_Sunset.jpg

As for their appearance, they seemed to have zero make up, wore glasses, their hair was somewhat uncared for (a bit greying, no dye used, all in all they didn't look like they'd be getting a part in a Pantene advert). Also, the children (there were three boys) all had a sort of very light and stringy rat tail going halfway down the neck, a bit like the one Orthodox Jews have on their sides, but on their back neck, one was plaited. All in all you got the impression that probably engaged in relative marriage and almost certainly some sort of religious puritans, they just had that look. I would have guessed maybe Hare Krishnas either but as far as I recall their men are fully bald and the women wear colourful clothing, not to mention that they, to my knowledge, grow most of their own food and presumably would have any outside food needed bought in bulk for the colony.

They seem to be a very rare group whoever they are, but I have seen them before at least once or twice in the last decade. The closest they struck me as being aligned to would be this lot, but from the article they seem to be almost entirely Canadian based

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutterite#Colonies

Not planning to hunt these lot down or anything, I was just wondering if anyone knows who/ what these folks are :) Quite a lot of films and TV episodes have had plots around these secret religious tribes like the Amish in the US so I'm not the only one with a strange curiosity about it :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Probably up for the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Kerry people

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Jedi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Hipsters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

hunt them down, lols
    anyway, we dont like your kind around here, boyyy, banjo ie music, toothyless grin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

these secret religious tribes like the Amish in the US

Amish , secret, em..... no seriously dude !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

THE SYRIANS ARE HERE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

THE SYRIANS ARE HERE!!!

SYRIASLY?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dandyelevan

"New Age" Travellers ?
    They can be seen about the Midlands a lot. Mostly English folk. Harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

You didn't stumble into the Body & Soul festival by any chance?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭custard gannet

BoatMad wrote: »
    Amish , secret, em..... no seriously dude !

Secretive I should have said, not secret.:)

Don't think they were New Age travelers, they tend to be English and Welsh from my experience, as said this lot looked East European, but sort of inbred East European :) Just their general attire gave off the impression of puritan living Christians from one of the fringe groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dandyelevan

Could be those Dingle Oirish relatives from Emmerdale ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Secretive I should have said, not secret.:)

Don't think they were New Age travelers, they tend to be English and Welsh from my experience, as said this lot looked East European, but sort of inbred East European :) Just their general attire gave off the impression of puritan living Christians from one of the fringe groups.

Unless they were Roma I can't think of any puritan christian groups in Eastern Europe. I might be mistaken but I would say most of that kind of stuff was wiped out during 45 years of communism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

It's quite worrying.

What shopping did you get, again ?

meeeeh wrote: »
    Unless they were Roma I can't think of any puritan christian groups in Eastern Europe. I might be mistaken but I would say most of that kind of stuff was wiped out during 45 years of communism.

Certainly weren't Roma. As said they looked like some sort of old timey religious community.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

There's Amish in Waterford.

Failing that, migrants. I hope you contacted Pegida or Identity Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭garrixfan

Reiver wrote: »

I looked that up expecting somehow there was a group of German descent Irish Amish living in Waterford but turns out that its just a load of Americans doing missionary work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Reiver wrote: »

They're Mennonites, actually. They have a pretty boring website if anyone wants to look it up. They're in Portlaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

So did you DNA test these people to see if they were "inbred" or are you just a racist cünt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

East European, but sort of inbred East European :)

Putting a smiley face at the end of an offensive statement doesn't undo it! Stop pressing the topic! And stop stalking people so much you could do Efits of them after!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mulbot

testicle wrote: »
    So did you DNA test these people to see if they were "inbred" or are you just a racist cünt?

:confused:

They're Mennonites, actually. They have a pretty boring website if anyone wants to look it up. They're in Portlaw.

oh yes met some of those a few years ago , very nice people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yeah, used to see them around.

I fail to see the OP's point though; is it just idle curiosity about what sect these people are or what? Who cares, like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

Romanian beggars?

Putting a smiley face at the end of an offensive statement doesn't undo it! Stop pressing the topic! And stop stalking people so much you could do Efits of them after!

Well if you could be bothered to do any research you would find that due to the fact few if any people in North America convert to old world Christian sects like the Amish, Hurrities and Mennonites, they are almost entirely descended from fringe Christian groups driven out of Europe centuries ago, and that they typically marry people from within a very small geographical area and only from within their own faith, which very often means members of the community share a grandparent or a great grandparent somewhere down the line. These groups tend to have higher rates of infant mortality and congenital illness than the regular population. Orthodox Jews do it to a heavy extent as well, which tends to make their women a great deal less good looking than regular Jewish/ Israeli women.
    testicle wrote: »

Haha, if you are looking for political correctness you are dealing with the wrong man my friend :pac: Having said that there was really no need to ban this lad, he can say what he likes for all I care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

William F wrote: »
    Romania beggars?

Where are you getting "beggars" from in the OP's description?

kylith wrote: »
    Yeah, used to see them around.

I fail to see the OP's point though; is it just idle curiosity about what sect these people are or what? Who cares, like?

I just find it interesting that there are religious cultures out there who largely eschew the modern world and live so alternatively. Some of the Amish and what not don't even use cars, never mind electricity.

I can think of at least three films and an episode of The X Files about these crowds, so it seems I'm not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Well if you could be bothered to do any research you would find that due to the fact few if any people in North America convert to old world Christian sects like the Amish, Hurrities and Mennonites, they are almost entirely descended from fringe Christian groups driven out of Europe centuries ago, and that they typically marry people from within a very small geographical area and only from within their own faith, which very often means members of the community share a grandparent or a great grandparent somewhere down the line. These groups tend to have higher rates of infant mortality and congenital illness than the regular population. Orthodox Jews do it to a heavy extent as well, which tends to make their women a great deal less good looking from regular Jewish/ Israeli women.

But what if the small population is also very good looking?

meeeeh wrote: »
    But what if the small population is also very good looking?

tend not to happen , in close interbreeding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Well if you could be bothered to do any research you would find that due to the fact few if any people in North America convert to old world Christian sects like the Amish, Hurrities and Mennonites, they are almost entirely descended from fringe Christian groups driven out of Europe centuries ago, and that they typically marry people from within a very small geographical area and only from within their own faith, which very often means members of the community share a grandparent or a great grandparent somewhere down the line. These groups tend to have higher rates of infant mortality and congenital illness than the regular population. Orthodox Jews do it to a heavy extent as well, which tends to make their women a great deal less good looking from regular Jewish/ Israeli women.

Haha, if you are looking for political correctness you are dealing with the wrong man my friend :pac: Having said that there was really no need to ban this lad, he can say what he likes for all I care.

You're expecting me to 'do research' off the back of you saying people you saw in Tesco 'look inbred' ? If you're so knowledged about these people who may share a grandparent from certain sects, why oh why must you start a discussion online trying to get to the bottom of it?? Maybe start a Facebook plea

Advertisement