Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Predator Social Experiment

Options
  • 14-08-2015 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

This is a video where a grown man pretends to be a teenage boy as he chats on Facebook with some girls as young as 12, to see how far they'll go towards meeting a stranger. He has their parents consent for the experiment.

Ignore the OTT marketing/production nonsense, I think there's an important message here for parents. The common theme was that they all believed their daughters would never be this irresponsible.

Before anyone points it out, I am aware the media exaggerate the risk of sexual predators from strangers.

However, the internet gives sexual predators an unprecedented platform for large-scale, clandestine access to children.

Parents sometimes mistakenly believe their children are safer playing in their bedrooms than outdoors, but that's not necessarily true.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

"my child would never do this"....

Child gets into van......gets scared ****less.

good parenting?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Pervs everywhere plan a duplicate facebook account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

It's just a prank bro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

Kinda reminds me of that episode of South Park where Stan's parents hire an actor to pretend to be a washed out him from the future, because he smoked a joint one time, to scare him away from ever using drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Very interesting social experiment and I am sure that these people have learned from it. I hop that people who have watched it are also more aware of the dangers. I think that the danger is a lot greater in the US, however, that is not to say it does not happen here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Take a seat conorh91, take a seat right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

am i the only one that can't see any video in the op?

edit : sees it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

If only 25 year olds were as easily convinced to meet up with strangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

poisonated wrote: »
    I think that the danger is a lot greater in the US, however, that is not to say it does not happen here.

I'm curious to know what makes you think that. Surely the video is showing that parents featured thought "no, not my child", so why are you thinking "no, not children here"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

That is an interesting observation actually. I just think that Ireland is so small that it would be easier to find out who it was. However, that is probably naive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I dont know, I remembering seeing this online clip from ABC TV, about a mock child abduction and the amount of people who walked by as if nothing was happening.....was terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

This style of show has been done way too many times before, it's pretty boring at this stage. I think they should do a new format whereby they trick guys in their 30s & 40s into thinking they're talking with a woman their own age & arrange a date but in fact it's a teenager, who shows up with a camera crew in tow. Given the current climate around this issue, that could be really scary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

That Chris Hansen show was pretty eye opening

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

It all looks a bit fake to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

Christ, the parents are a dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

El Weirdo wrote: »
    It all looks a bit fake to me.

Staged? I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

'Social experiment' is now a euphemism for frightening the shit out of children.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Unfortunately the dangers are more often closer to home and those persons have a position of trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

CabanSail wrote: »
    Unfortunately the dangers are more often closer to home and those persons have a position of trust.
    Yeah I did acknowledge that, but that statistic has dated from a pre-internet era.

The "experiment" was carried out because child sex-abusers are using social media in this way.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/man-used-facebook-to-groom-girl-14-for-sex-act-324670.html
    A 42-year-old man who groomed a 14-year-old girl over Facebook and texted her to meet him for oral sex was jailed yesterday in what is one of the first cases of its kind before the courts...
    Brian O’Keeffe admitted that between August 1, 2013, and September 30, 2013, he intentionally met the child, having previously met or communicated with the said child on two or more occasions and did so for the purpose of sexual exploitation of the child.
    He contacted her on her Facebook page and through texts and later referred her to sexually explicit websites where she could be instructed on oral sex.

O’Keeffe began to tell her of not having sex with his wife; and at about 3am one Saturday/Sunday he set up a meeting with her.
    She sneaked out of her house and in his car he performed oral sex on her and got her to perform oral sex on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

This instances of this happening are rare... likely extremely rare.

The sad fact is for every one of these events happening there could be hundreds of children who are being abused by those closest to them on a regular basis.

They are not really highlighting anything... I mean children are not smart, this is not news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

As the previous poster said it's rare. But things like this might give anxiety issues to kids and make them afraid of the big bad world.

That third case in the van I think that was over the top and abusive. Why scare your own child like that for the sake of a strangers youtube video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

They did the same again only with boys this time (only scare them much worse than they did the girls).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

What's with the dude wearing an outlandish wig? :D

Maybe it's a Joysey thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭893bet

what a load of staged horse ****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I'll be showing my age here but when I was a stupid kid back in the stone age I remember being on one of those chat room sites, I couldn't have been more than 12, it was before mobile phones anyway, I forget where it even was now. It was part of your email page or something.

Well, anyways, chat away and you could be invited to go to a private chat room for private talk....ifyouknowwhatimean....I remember chatting to this guy who said he was my age and he was mad to meet up, so I arranged to meet him at Limerick Colbert station the next night. Sure, sure, Id totally be there.

Of course, being a stupid kid, I actually forgot I wasn't allowed out after dinner or into town at all, being a good car drive away. So I went back to spacing out in front of the tv and forgot about it all.

If that had happened to me these days I dunno would I have gone through with it or what. My folks weren't internet savvy and hadn't a clue who I was talking to.

Pretty scary thinking of it now that I have a kid!!

It seems like everything someone does with the aid of an unsuspecting patsy and a camera is dignified by the term 'Social Experiment' these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I've seen this and think it's really stupid.

Some of those parents... I think the teenager would be better off with the stranger.

In general I am against all pranks and deceit, especially when they're trying to be funny (obviously this is not). I think if you can't be funny without deceiving people, then maybe you should just let it alone.

Advertisement