Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zimmermann at it again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

FTA69 wrote: »
    He saw a teenage boy walking erroneously down the road eating a packet of sweets and decided that he was some sort of criminal and that it was up to him to follow Martin. Would he have had the same reaction had the youngfella in question been white and dressed a certain way? Would he b*llocks. Many black men in the USA are well used to being stereotyped and profiled immediately by cops and wannabe cops such as Zimmerman; hence the outrage in that community. In his mind he had already judged Martin, hence referring to him as a "f*cking punk" and why he rang the cops in the first place.

Had he called the cops about white or hispanic guys before?
    That's not the point. It's not explicitly illegal for a security guard to follow a black kid around a supermarket either but it's still wrong, and the person in question has a right to feel aggrieved. Whatever about a uniform or a cop doing it, some arsehole jumping out of a car and following me around for no reason would engender an aggressive response as well. I live in a mixed race estate and if I followed some Jamaican fella around for no reason other than I saw him walking down the road I'd almost be guaranteed a slap. And I'd probably deserve it.
    Would the slap be legal?

Perhaps because he had seen a black kid and decided to follow him around for probably that reason alone? Because America is littered with a long, deep-seated racism that often manifests itself in racial profiling like the above?
    Perhaps he's a racist? Best you have...any actually evidence of GZ racism? You know, the guy who took a black girl to his prom?

A boy. A schoolboy at that. A child with no major crime history bar a few scraps and an incident involving cannabis. Reminds me of myself only I was younger again. Luckily I didn't get shot in the chest after confronting a racist busybody.
    A boy strong enough to get GZ on the ground and try and bash his head in.

There's that R word again. And that busybody prevented a burglary three weeks earlier in a neighbourhood that had experienced a violent home invasion.

donvito99 wrote: »
    I would expect no disassociation, just a little respect for a bereaved family. So far, he has not been. I'm sure you understand.

You mean like an apology, and some empathy. I know what you mean. Instead the scum comes out with this stuff...

"I would tell them that again, I'm sorry. My wife and I don't have any children," Zimmerman told Hannity. "I love my children even though they aren't born yet, and I am sorry that they buried their child. I can't imagine what it must feel like, and I pray for them daily."

Scummer!
    As I said initially, my coarse - to you - labelling of him is based on his actions after the killing. It's tied in with above.
    You mean visiting a gun factory and having unsubstantiated allegations made against him. That makes him a scumbag?
    So why bring it up?

Because you seem to want anyone who killed someone in justified circumstances to live in shame for the rest of their lives. That's bull frankly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

MadsL wrote: »

Because you seem to want anyone who killed someone in justified circumstances to live in shame for the rest of their lives. That's bull frankly.

Yes it is. What part of lay low for a while means go live in a hole?

Yes it is. What part of lay low for a while means go live in a hole?

How long is a while?

It is 18 months since the shooting.

2 years?

3 years?

How long is a while?

It is 18 months since the shooting.

2 years?

3 years?

You'll forgive me if by now I think that you too wouldn't understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

crockholm wrote: »

How's operation Trident working out in your neck of the woods?

Gone. It ceased a couple of years ago now I think.

Besides, Trident was an intelligence-led operation that tried to work with the support of the black community in order to target known individuals engaged in gun crime. This is a far cry from racial-profiling and racial stop-and-searches in the UK which are still prevalent and rightly draw a lot of anger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

Understand what exactly? At what point is he allowed to get on with his life? He already apologised to the Martin family and also moved out of his house.

According to the gun manufacturer who's facility he visited, it's not uncommon for people to come and see the place and see how the guns are made.

And on the point of the 911 dispatchers, as already pointed out they can only advise you, not order you. That's in place to prevent cases like this from happening http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/04/02/denver-911-operators-decision-called-into-question-after-murder/

That's quite a good deflection of the question. I'll have to save that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

It seems that there had been burglaries so he decided to take the law into his own hands, by "standing his ground" as it were, and taking the law into his own hands. If I had been followed around a corner, with a bag of skittles, I'd be frightened too.

But I'm not African American, you see.

What is wrong with you?

All you have demonstrated here, repeatedly, is an inability to grasp the facts in this case.

Truly stunning to witness the blind dedication to a faulty version of events that paints your pet victim (Martin) in a good light.

• Advertisement

Crackle wrote: »
    Understand what exactly? At what point is he allowed to get on with his life? He already apologised to the Martin family and also moved out of his house.

According to the gun manufacturer who's facility he visited, it's not uncommon for people to come and see the place and see how the guns are made.

And on the point of the 911 dispatchers, as already pointed out they can only advise you, not order you. That's in place to prevent cases like this from happening http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/04/02/denver-911-operators-decision-called-into-question-after-murder/

He ought never have apologized for defending his own life. It just gave these sociopathic jackals more grist for their money-making mill.

Again, anyone really wanting to engage in the proven facts of this case ought to read up not only on Zimmerman, but on Tracy 'fruit' Martin and Sabrina Fulton and their legal team, also known as the "Scheme Team" ;)
    This site did an outstanding job of that, and covered the trial every step of the way:

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/page/64/?s=zimmerman

(there are dozens of pages of links and discussions related to all aspects of the case)

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/09/10/3618849/medical-examiner-in-zimmerman.html
    An attorney for the medical examiner in the George Zimmerman case whose testimony was challenged at length by defense attorneys says his client plans to sue for wrongful termination after he was fired recently.

According to a letter released by Volusia County officials on Tuesday, Shiping Bao was fired from his post as an associate medical examiner last Friday. County spokesman Dave Byron declined to give a reason or comment further, citing "standard practice in personnel matters."

Hmm, this might get interesting.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/shiping-bao-medical-examiner-zimmerman-trial-file-100m-lawsuit-claiming-prosecution-threw-case-video

Wut?

He now claims that his testimony was not accurate at the trial and that the prosecution deliberately sabotaged the trial.

Jesus, will this circus never end?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

MadsL are you defending Zimmerman because you believe he was in the right or because you shudder at any story that could possibly shed a negative light on gun ownership?

Genuine question

Bogota wrote: »
    MadsL are you defending Zimmerman because you believe he was in the right or because you shudder at any story that could possibly shed a negative light on gun ownership?

Genuine question

Genuine answer, I believe Zimmerman had the right to be in his neighbourhood. That he had the right to call the cops if he saw someone acting suspiciously. I also believe that he had the right to walk anywhere in his neighbourhood. Having passed CCW requirements he also had the right to have his gun on him. At the point at which he was attacked I see that he had the right to defend himself, up to and including lethal force.

That does not detract from the tragedy that befell TM but I cannot help but think that if you hide and then confront someone in their own neighbourhood that will not end well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Anyone else see the irony in those dragging up Zimmerman's past and yet in the same breath cry foul when there is any mention on Martin's past???

Anyone else see the irony in those dragging up Zimmerman's past and yet in the same breath cry foul when there is any mention on Martin's past???

People drag up Zimmerman's past to prove a point to those who drag up Martin's past. It's clear who had the worse pass and it ain't Martin.

People drag up Zimmerman's past to prove a point to those who drag up Martin's past. It's clear who had the worse pass and it ain't Martin.

Really?

I keep asking, because it is almost a meme at this stage. Whoa! George Zimmerman, bad boy.

What exactly is 'dodgy' in Zimmerman's past, and how is it relevant to the case?

Really?

I keep asking, because it is almost a meme at this stage. Whoa! George Zimmerman, bad boy.

What exactly is 'dodgy' in Zimmerman's past, and how is it relevant to the case?

Resisting arrest shows a clear lack of respect for the rule of law. Hence why Zimmerman ignored instructions in the phonecall to 911 and shot a young teenager. His ex fiance taking out a restraining order against him shows he was clearly violent or threatening. Unsurprising then that the victim felt so threatened by Zimmerman that he ran away in fear. We wont get into the allegations of domestic abuse, racism and child abuse by his relatives because they are after all allegations.

So Zimmerman's past may be relevant for those reasons. But why were you bringing up the victims past in defense of Zimmerman? The insinuation from you seemed to be "Look he smokes pot!! He gets into fights he deserved to be shot!" when in reality this kid was doing nothing wrong and if Zimmerman hadn't aggressively pursued him then nothing would have happened.

You cannot deny that Zimmerman went looking for trouble and he was 100% trigger happy. In the phone call to 911 he almost sounds excited about the whole thing.

That does not detract from the tragedy that befell TM but I cannot help but think that if you hide and then confront someone in their own neighbourhood that will not end well.

But if a guy threatens you so much that you actually run away from the confrontation and he aggressively pursues you, HE is in the right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MonaPizza

Nice you made up your mind about him despite the fact this is happening days after a divorce petition has been filed.

Where is the arrest for domestic violence? A restraining order that both parties applied for isn't domestic violence. Nice bending of the truth there.

Would y'ever feck off defending this bollocks. He's a scumbag who beat the rap. You have no problem in judging people to be scumbags no matter the facts so you should criticise other for what you yourself are guilty of.

But if a guy threatens you so much that you actually run away from the confrontation and he aggressively pursues you, HE is in the right?

TM didn't run away though did he? He hid and then attacked GZ.

Wouldn't running to his father's girlfriends house have been running away?

MonaPizza wrote: »
    Would y'ever feck off defending this bollocks. He's a scumbag who beat the rap. You have no problem in judging people to be scumbags no matter the facts so you should criticise other for what you yourself are guilty of.

Where did I do that?

edit: This will help.
    http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=17006&sort=best&date_to=&date_from=&query=scumbag&page=2

MonaPizza wrote: »

You thoroughly embarrassed yourself on the Peru 2 thread, and it seems you have decided to continue that theme here.

You, like many others on this thread, display a shocking inability to grasp the facts of the case.

What's it like to make things up as you go along?

How do you justify ignoring what actually took place?

Resisting arrest shows a clear lack of respect for the rule of law. Hence why Zimmerman ignored instructions in the phonecall to 911 and shot a young teenager. His ex fiance taking out a restraining order against him shows he was clearly violent or threatening. Unsurprising then that the victim felt so threatened by Zimmerman that he ran away in fear. We wont get into the allegations of domestic abuse, racism and child abuse by his relatives because they are after all allegations.

So Zimmerman's past may be relevant for those reasons. But why were you bringing up the victims past in defense of Zimmerman? The insinuation from you seemed to be "Look he smokes pot!! He gets into fights he deserved to be shot!" when in reality this kid was doing nothing wrong and if Zimmerman hadn't aggressively pursued him then nothing would have happened.

You cannot deny that Zimmerman went looking for trouble and he was 100% trigger happy. In the phone call to 911 he almost sounds excited about the whole thing.

This post is so ridiculous it actually made me laugh.

1. "Resisting arrest shows a clear lack of respect for the rule of law".

No, that incident was explained in court. The police were undercover , it was in a bar, they took his friend outside and Zimmerman tried to defend his friend, but didn't realize they were police. The charges were dropped to reflect that.
    And as we all know, Zimmerman likes law enforcement so much he applied to be a policeman, but his credit score blocked his application from progressing.

2. "Unsurprising then that the victim felt so threatened by Zimmerman that he ran away in fear. "

Oh dear, you just cannot deal in facts. Had Martin run home, run away as you claim, he'd most likely be alive today. In only he HAD "run away". Instead, he laid in wait for Zimmerman and attacked him.

3. LOL@ "allegations of racism". That has to be the most laughable charge of them all. Zimmerman went to boot for a Black homeless man, Sherman Wares, and had to take on the Police to do it as the assailant was the Chief's son, if I recall correctly.
    http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/07/zimmerman-initiated-a-justice-for-sherman-ware-campaign/

Zimmerman tutored lots of Blacks kids , had business with Blacks and has Black friends. Plus, he has Blacks in his own family line, great grandfather I think.

Do get a clue, won't you? The rest is too tedious to troll through, so filled with errors it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

It's a pity for Trayvon Martin that some of the posters on this forum weren't part of the prosecution team, because judging from their posts they must have some additional information that the police and courts don't.

Just because you don't like someone or something that they did, does not mean there are grounds for a guilty verdict. There is a much stronger arguement against GZ in terms of whether he was acting in self defence or not, I get that, but the vitriol that is being espoused on this thread on the basis of GZ previous actions is not grounds for a guilty verdict. It's also ironic that those who mention GZ past also cry foul when TM past is mentioned.

GZ was found not guilty by a Jury of his peers based on the evidence and information that was presented to the Jury. If anyone on this thread has additional information please tell us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Resisting arrest shows a clear lack of respect for the rule of law. Hence why Zimmerman ignored instructions in the phonecall to 911 ..

*clap*

*clap*

*clap*

now leave this thread for the good of all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Here is my take on things.

George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin both contributed to the confrontation and ultimately to Trayvon's death.

Zimmerman was involved in the Neighbourhood Watch scheme so he would most likely have his eyes open for strange or suspicious people in the neighbourhood. Nothing wrong with that, in fact it is what Neighbourhood Watch people should do.

He saw TM walking down the street and didn't know him. He followed him to see what he was up to. Again, not the best manners but totally legal.

The fact that people say that GZ profiled him because he was black is total boll0cks. Does that mean that you can't watch someone if they are a different colour from you? If I see a black man doing something suspicious and report it, does that mean that I am a racist......... fcuk off. If you think somebody is acting suspiciously, then you are free to report it, no matter what colour they are.

Do I think GZ was wise to follow him, maybe not. But then again, there's nothing illegal there and nothing in that action that said that GZ wanted to shoot TM.

Now here is where I have the problem with TM. TM phoned his girlfriend and made a racist statement about GZ. I don't give a crap about his racist statement but why oh why didn't TM just run home. If he did that he would be alive today.

The fact that he didn't run away leads me to believe that TM did in fact start the confrontation. GZ was following, but following isn't confronting.

And another logical thing is that if I wanted to shoot somebody, I wouldn't wait til they were on top of me hopping my head off the concrete. I know bullets travel a long distance. I'd shoot them before they got near enough to me to do me harm. That's common sense.

As for GZ going to the gun factory............I don't think GM will be accused of being a MENSA member, not a clever thing to do.

GZ clearly isn't the cleverest man ever, but I honestly don't believe he set out to kill TM and I do honestly believe that it was a case of self defence.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Here is my take on things.

George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin both contributed to the confrontation and ultimately to Trayvon's death.

Zimmerman was involved in the Neighbourhood Watch scheme so he would most likely have his eyes open for strange or suspicious people in the neighbourhood. Nothing wrong with that, in fact it is what Neighbourhood Watch people should do.

He saw TM walking down the street and didn't know him. He followed him to see what he was up to. Again, not the best manners but totally legal.

The fact that people say that GZ profiled him because he was black is total boll0cks. Does that mean that you can't watch someone if they are a different colour from you? If I see a black man doing something suspicious and report it, does that mean that I am a racist......... fcuk off. If you think somebody is acting suspiciously, then you are free to report it, no matter what colour they are.

Do I think GZ was wise to follow him, maybe not. But then again, there's nothing illegal there and nothing in that action that said that GZ wanted to shoot TM.

Now here is where I have the problem with TM. TM phoned his girlfriend and made a racist statement about GZ. I don't give a crap about his racist statement but why oh why didn't TM just run home. If he did that he would be alive today.

The fact that he didn't run away leads me to believe that TM did in fact start the confrontation. GZ was following, but following isn't confronting.

And another logical thing is that if I wanted to shoot somebody, I wouldn't wait til they were on top of me hopping my head off the concrete. I know bullets travel a long distance. I'd shoot them before they got near enough to me to do me harm. That's common sense.

As for GZ going to the gun factory............I don't think GM will be accused of being a MENSA member, not a clever thing to do.

GZ clearly isn't the cleverest man ever, but I honestly don't believe he set out to kill TM and I do honestly believe that it was a case of self defence.

Good post.

"As for GZ going to the gun factory............I don't think GM will be accused of being a MENSA member, not a clever thing to do."

If they made stupidity illegal....

• Advertisement

Hello all! It's been too long...

Zimmerman at it again, again.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/19/george-zimmerman-arrested-in-florida-after-disturbance-call/?intcmp=latestnews
    A judge in Florida has ordered a $9,000 bond for George Zimmerman on charges of assault and battery for allegedly threatening his girlfriend with a shotgun, amid fresh claims from a prosecutor that Zimmerman choked his girlfriend in an unreported incident.
    Zimmerman's 27-year-old girlfriend, Samantha Scheibe, accused him in a 911 call of pointing a gun at her, smashing a coffee table and then pushing her outside. Zimmerman also called dispatchers, flatly denying pointing a gun at her and blaming her for the broken table.

And this isn't his wife (now estranged for obvious reasons - discussed at length here), it's his new girlfriend.

I suggested laying low.... ;)

MadSL in 3, 2, 1...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/19/george-zimmerman-arrested-in-florida-after-disturbance-call/?intcmp=latestnews

And this isn't his wife (now estranged for obvious reasons - discussed at length here), it's his new girlfriend.

I suggested laying low.... ;)

MadSL in 3, 2, 1...

I actually just heard this on the radio...one sec, lemme read up.

All he said/she said.

Meh.

He doesn't look well in that photo though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,141 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I suggested laying low....

MadSL in 3, 2, 1...
    oh dear, time to lock up this bit of trash now

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I wonder will his cheerleaders be able to keep up their fervent defence?

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    no, but they won't stop trying

Mardy Bum wrote: »

Defense of what? He was found not guilty in the Martin case (and rightly so).

Now the man has had a fight with his girlfriend, you and I weren't there to see what happened, were we? Or maybe you have secret powers I am unaware of?

What charge do you have in mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Defense of what? He was found not guilty in the Martin case (and rightly so).

Now the man has had a fight with his girlfriend, you and I weren't there to see what happened, were we? Or maybe you have secret powers I am unaware of?

He has an astounding propensity for fighting and threatening with perceived loved ones.

• Advertisement

Defense of what?
    someone who is obviously a nasty nasty piece of work
    He was found not guilty in the Martin case
    he got lucky, a bunch of sympathetic people found him not guilty.
    and rightly so.
    why so?
    but this isn't the first time is it, and most people don't point guns at people in an "argument" its mostly criminals or trash like zimmerman who do

why so?

but this isn't the first time is it, and most people don't point guns at people in an "argument" its mostly criminals or trash like zimmerman who do

I think if you claim GZ pointed a gun at you, then you are likely to get a good bit of attention.

Oddly, like the last argument with his wife, the accusation that he did something with a gun hits the headlines.

Tell me, what was he charged with after his wife accusing him of waving a gun around? Oh, that's right, despite the headlines, he turned out not to have one.

And you didn't answer my question. What should he be charged with? Bad luck in relationships?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

why so?

You do not "Get lucky" in a court of law.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭valknut

You do not "Get lucky" in a court of law.
    no, if its a court of law in murika and your not black you will get off, if your black expect life in prison or the death penalty in the states that have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

valknut wrote: »

I think my brain started melting so I couldn't finish that. Was that a parody? Or were they actually trying to convince us that 'Skittles' is a drug made with skittles, tea and syrup?

• Advertisement

no, if its a court of law in murika and your not black you will get off, if your black expect life in prison or the death penalty in the states that have it.

Again, absolute horse****, and provable false bluster from you, once again.

Jezek wrote: »
    I think my brain started melting so I couldn't finish that. Was that a parody? Or were they actually trying to convince us that 'Skittles' is a drug made with skittles, tea and syrup?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebu6Yvzs4Ls

Sigh, I have no idea what you found so difficult to grasp.

But anyways:

Skittles/candy/ice tea are known ingredients in a homemade intoxicant known as "DRANK".

Trayvon texts confirmed he was a known user of it.

Also, his autopsy confirmed liver problems, a possible consequence of his drug usage.

I have no idea where to begin with this nonsense.

Are you annoyed that he was found guilty or because he isn't white?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebu6Yvzs4Ls

Sigh, I have no idea what you found so difficult to grasp.

But anyways:

Skittles/candy/ice tea are known ingredients in a homemade intoxicant known as "DRANK".

Trayvon texts confirmed he was a known user of it.

Also, his autopsy confirmed liver problems, a possible consequence of his drug usage.

I know what lean is. It's made with sprite and jolly ranchers. Conceivably you could use ice tea or whatever, but they are not the 'known' ingredients, so it just becomes more and more of a stretch.

And as far as I can tell (and find in textbooks/internet) , this kind of codeine use does not cause liver damage. I might be wrong and will have a read through studies etc if you have them. And lean's most common side-effects is aggression and paranoia ? well, no

Jezek wrote: »
    I know what lean is. It's made with sprite and jolly ranchers. Conceivably you could use ice tea or whatever, but they are not the 'known' ingredients, so it just becomes more and more of a stretch.

And as far as I can tell (and find in textbooks/internet) , this kind of codeine use does not cause liver damage. I might be wrong and will have a read through studies etc if you have them. And lean's most common side-effects is aggression and paranoia ? well, no

So you are a "Lean/Drank" user yourself? You sure that Arizona Ice Tea and Skittles are not used to make this wonderful potion in all areas of the USA?
    How about in Florida? Do tell.

This "kind of codeine" you say---what other "kinds" are there and how does the damage vary?

Why do you claim aggression and paranoia are not side effects?
    Even marijuana is know to produce psychosis in some. Oh and Trayvon had that in his system too, according to the autopsy results. Not a lot, but it was there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement