Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catch a thief

Options
  • 22-09-2015 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭

The Gardai are promoting an new initiative to "keep the light on for burglars" so they can see better while breaking in to deter them

Homeowners asked to keep the lights on as Garda hope 'bright idea' will deter burglaries
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/homeowners-asked-to-keep-the-lights-on-as-garda-hope-bright-idea-will-deter-burglaries-31547709.html

the peruvians on the other hand have taken a different approach
    http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-34224196

When she later discovered the man had been freed, Cecilia decided to take action. "From that day onwards, we decided to spread the message in the community - that next time we catch a criminal, we won't call the police but we will punish them ourselves," she says.

Two different approaches to what is essentially the same problem. Who has the right idea?

Which approach is correct? 8 votes

Gardai, help the burglar
    0% 0 votes
    peruvian, "community policing"
    100% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Who has the right idea?

Neither. People taking the law into their own hands isn't an answer, it's a symptom of what happens when the police don't do what they're supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Calling the police is a waste of time. They do nothing about it and by the time they get to your house the burglars are long gone.

There was a number of burglaries where I live recently. There was at least 1 or 2 houses done every week, sometimes more, over a period of about 3 months. The garda were always called but they got nowhere.
    My friends mothers house was done at 11am and the police were called. It was 9pm by the time they arrived. That's no use to anyone.

This same crew of burglars broke into another house a few days later and we're caught in the act by the owner and his friends. They were given a severe beating and told to never step foot in the area again. There hasn't been one house robbed since.
    Speaks for itself really.

I know there'll be bleeding hearts on here saying how wrong it is to take the law into your own hands blah blah blah...
    But if it's the only effective way to protect your area then I'm all for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Dr.Internet

Links234 wrote: »
    Neither. People taking the law into their own hands isn't an answer, it's a symptom of what happens when the police don't do what they're supposed to.

There are some people who believe neither the police nor the justice system is doing what it should. This number is rising and with garda stations closing etc, in parts of the country many people feel vulnerable , travelling gangs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

lol at poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Links234 wrote: »
    It's a symptom of what happens when the police don't do what they're supposed to.

The fault lies in the courts system, the police are probably as fed up as everybody else at the lack of proper sentences.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭custard gannet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Dr.Internet

the new promotional video for the campaign

the gardai pr crowd can send me on the check

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

The fault lies in the courts system, the police are probably as fed up as everybody else at the lack of proper sentences.

They catch, the courts give leniency, then the revolving door starts to move...

A "3 strikes" approach would work, and a massive sentence should be handed for repeat offenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Yeah, because it's an either/or there.

Keeping a light on to indicate that someone's home is hardly a new idea. It's very often used, especially when people are going on holidays. And it seems sensible enough to make the outside light point onto the driveway/light the garden, although most people have it on a movement sensor.

It's hardly a case of "Either I should have a light or VIGILANTE JUSTICE!!"

>.>

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I leave the radio on as well so they have something to listen to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

TBH neither of these is the correct response....vigilante justice is not the way to go at all.

All it does is turn people into thugs and put everyone at risk of being seriously injured or worse for even the most minor of wrongs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

If Enda really wants to get elected next spring then he should be announcing a load of new gardai and a new prison.
    Less tolerance for law breaking in this country -help everyone feel that bit safer.
    Bound to be worth a few votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The problem with taking the matter into your own hands and doling out punishment beatings is that it doesn't take much for some poor lad to get his head kicked in because he's the same height and hair colour as the bloke someone saw robbing a house last week, or for people to use it to settle old scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

All it does is turn people into thugs and put everyone at risk of being seriously injured or worse for even the most minor of wrongs.

I wouldn't class choosing to break in to someone's house to take what they can the most minor of wrongs. The homeowner should be able to take any necessary actions to repel them, without repercussions from the police or courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Leave the lights on so burglars can see when they're breaking in... how kind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Call the cops and say you shot the bastard, guarantee they'll be there in less than ten minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

kylith wrote: »
    The problem with taking the matter into your own hands and doling out punishment beatings is that it doesn't take much for some poor lad to get his head kicked in because he's the same height and hair colour as the bloke someone saw robbing a house last week, or for people to use it to settle old scores.

There's a village nearby that was plagued by Dublin gangs robbing left right and centre.
    This is decades ago but a group of locals started patrolling the area at night,walkie talkies,"personal protection"and a keen eye.
    Individuals were "spoken"to apparently and told it might not be in their best interests to return . Certainly put a stop to it,but generally speaking it's a bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

kneemos wrote: »
    There's a village nearby that was plagued by Dublin gangs robbing left right and centre.
    This is decades ago but a group of locals started patrolling the area at night,walkie talkies,"personal protection"and a keen eye.
    Individuals were "spoken"to apparently and told it might not be in their best interests to return . Certainly put a stop to it,but generally speaking it's a bad idea.

We had one of them vigilante groups too a few years ago, well-meaning and all but a bigger fcuking nuisance than the burglars tbh. You couldn't go out to look at your sheep at lambing time without being harrassed by the amateur A-Team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭circadian

Me da used to get stopped by our local vigilante group in balaclavas, he'd just respond with "I know it's you micky, feck off stopping me"

Advertisement