Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭cletus

Weepsie wrote: »
    That all in? Sandblast and powder? I've a steel frame i think I'd like something done to, but unsure if route to go

That's all. I did all the prep, though, including making caps for the bottom bracket and head tube, along with sacrificial bolts in all threaded holes.

The guy has a large walk in sandblasting unit, he puts the frame in, turns it on, and the shot is blasted at it from all angles, so he's not standing there with a gun

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Interesting. I've an old sacrificial bottom bracket I could use, and any number of bolts. How to get it to athy now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Weepsie wrote: »
    Interesting. I've an old sacrificial bottom bracket I could use, and any number of bolts. How to get it to athy now

There'll be a coatings place near to wherever you are they're not specific to Athy :D although that was cheap. No need for sacrificial anything most of these places will do a good job at taping off any areas that you don't want powder coat.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    There'll be a coatings place near to wherever you are they're not specific to Athy :D although that was cheap. No need for sacrificial anything most of these places will do a good job at taping off any areas that you don't want powder coat.

Of course. There's powder coating places all over. At least two others just a short drive from the place I used.

At least part of the reason why I got the price I did was because I was willing to do the prep work

I needed a new tube in my front wheel so replaced it this evening. My partner was sat outside reading her book and was horrified by the fact I partially inflate the tube by blowing into it rather than using the pump. We all do that right????

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

weepsie, there's a panel beater in blanch i've used (not for bicycle related stuff though) whose number i can pass on, i've always thought that if i did have a project i must ask him might he be interested.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I partially inflate the tube by blowing into it rather than using the pump. We all do that right????
    depends on how close the pump is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

weepsie, there's a panel beater in blanch i've used (not for bicycle related stuff though) whose number i can pass on, i've always thought that if i did have a project i must ask him might he be interested.

Yeah, might look into that. There's a guy near St. Margarets road too that is very decent and fair with car repairs too. He does that sort of thing, so might see if he can.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I needed a new tube in my front wheel so replaced it this evening. My partner was sat outside reading her book and was horrified by the fact I partially inflate the tube by blowing into it rather than using the pump. We all do that right????

I can see a potentially nasty accident happening should you go tubeless :pac:

Swapped out the slicks on my CX bike for 38c Shwalbe G-One tyres over the week and also swapped my slightly knackered PD-m434 pedals for Nukeproof Evos to make the bike handier for some light off-road. Probably should have looked for a slightly wider tyre as it is still a bit of a bumpy ride over tree roots descending but fingers crossed I'll get used to them. Eldest's boyfriend who's currently living with us has my usual MTB hack, hence the need the re-think.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭rcklap

... and they glow in the dark!

• Advertisement

BB installed. Thanks to all who helped on the other thread

515137.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭David6330

I did a 'ghetto' tubeless coversion on my touring bike yesterday using non-tubeless rims and tubeless ready tyres.

Applied gorilla tape, fitted stans tubeless valves, stans tyre sealant and 38c Schwalbe G-One alround TLE tyres. Pumped straight up using the track pump. No air leakage overnight, very happy so far.

David6330 wrote: »
    I did a 'ghetto' tubeless coversion on my touring bike yesterday using non-tubeless rims and tubeless ready tyres.

Applied gorilla tape, fitted stans tubeless valves, stans tyre sealant and 38c Schwalbe G-One alround TLE tyres. Pumped straight up using the track pump. No air leakage overnight, very happy so far.

Nice. Very "Spindatt"

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

cletus wrote: »
    BB installed. Thanks to all who helped on the other thread

515137.jpg

Are you going to go 1x or single speed?

Tony04 wrote: »
    Are you going to go 1x or single speed?

Strongly thinking single speed, but will make that decision once I get the parts from saccades

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Hello to all.does anyone know where I could get tyres and tubes for an old racer bike.
    The only markings I can get off the old wheels are 28 x 1 5/8 x 1 1/8
    And 28-622 700 x 280.
    Can these be got and what price for tyres and tubes for them please.
    It’s an old racer I’m fixing up but it doesn’t need to be expensive stuff.
    Many thanks

standard tyre size, by the sound of it. should be readily available in any bike shop. online, you could maybe expect to pay €30 all in for cheap tyres and tubes, if in a B&M shop expect to pay more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Swapped in a new set of the L03a pads to replace a set of metal pads, I think they’re a winner, feel and power is very very good, they should wear decently too!

Think thats the bike finally finished. Going to take it for one more spin at the weekend to check I’m happy then it’s getting some bar tape!

Not perfect, but better

515221.jpg

515222.jpg

• Advertisement

how did you get that finish? wire brush?

You'll probably need to reseal it with something, what I'm not sure I've to seal a whole feckin frame :D

how did you get that finish? wire brush?
    I bought a polishing kit for my bench grinder. The issue is that the pitting is too deep to sand out completely, so the finish is not as uniform as I would like, but its useable. I'll post a picture of some of the brightwok properly polished with no pitting. There's actually a better shine to it than the picture suggests
    You'll probably need to reseal it with something, what I'm not sure I've to seal a whole feckin frame :D
    Once its buffed with the final wheel, polishing paste should be ok once I look after it. Small area, and the bike will likely be stored indoors

Fork, head set bearings and stem all installed

515255.jpg

I bought a polishing kit for my bench grinder.

Which polishing kit did you buy?

That's cheap and it comes with the extenders also. I may order one, is it any use? the bright work looks well polished on the headset.

I've found it very good so far, but obviously, as in my pictures above, the shine is dependent on the finish of the piece before you start on the sisal wheel.

The other limiting factor, for me, is the power of my bench grinder. I can't really lean the piece into the sisal wheel, or I stall the motor

I've found it very good so far, but obviously, as in my pictures above, the shine is dependent on the finish of the piece before you start on the sisal wheel.

The other limiting factor, for me, is the power of my bench grinder. I can't really lean the piece into the sisal wheel, or I stall the motor

Yeah I saw it had a recommend 200w motor for those 6" discs I think my own is only 150w so I oredered the 3" discs.

• Advertisement

Yeah I saw it had a recommend 200w motor for those 6" discs I think my own is only 150w so I oredered the 3" discs.

I saw that too, but I still went for the 6" because bigger :D

Advertisement