Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

99.9 Cent diesel and petrol - Amien St - E Fuel

Options
  • 28-11-2020 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Old Stafford's garage is now an E Fuel
    Currently has 99.9cent diesel and petrol for the weekend, or whilst stocks last

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Def_IRL

Picture of fuel board at Amiens St

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

Had assumed that place was being demolished for apartments or a hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Fantastic deal OP on the way up from Cork now to fill up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Is E Fuel even a brand ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Charlie wrote: »
    Had assumed that place was being demolished for apartments or a hotel

It has planning for a hotel and while plenty of people are nuts enough to still build hotels now, presumably the owner there is not.

However, I wouldn't touch this with a bargepole. Unbranded station selling suspiciously cheap in a location that doesn't need promotion due to tens of thousands of vehicles a day driving past.

It closed previously during the Tiger and was reopened after many years empty; but with a proper branded setup (Top)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

They've been trying to put something else in their for years, theres an issue with the underground tanks I think that means it's not a straightforward job.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They've been trying to put something else in their for years, theres an issue with the underground tanks I think that means it's not a straightforward job.

Its an expensive decontamination job but the previous proposal died due to the economy and the current plan is likely dead due to COVID. The tanks problem can be overcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

L1011 wrote: »

However, I wouldn't touch this with a bargepole. Unbranded station selling suspiciously cheap in a location that doesn't need promotion due to tens of thousands of vehicles a day driving past.

I'm surprised a mod would defame a business the way you have in your post based on absolutely nothing.

If anything, doing such a promotion attracts interest and would mean such a business would have to take extra care because some people would make stupid assumptions.

Darc19 wrote: »
    I'm surprised a mod would defame a business the way you have in your post based on absolutely nothing.

If anything, doing such a promotion attracts interest and would mean such a business would have to take extra care because some people would make stupid assumptions.

I'm not a mod on this forum.

• Site Banned Posts: 47 Saralace

I will drive up from wexford it's only 2 hours away

• Advertisement

I'm not a mod on this forum.

Still a mod and for any mod of any forum to make such a defamous statement is appalling.

BTW, a few seconds of search would tell you that the site is owned by John Sweeneys hotel group and he's also head of Sweeney oil

https://www.sweeneyoil.ie/

So he's getting the site to pay its way.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Christ, virtue signalling for a filling station now.

Still a mod and for any mod of any forum to make such a defamous statement is appalling.

Saying that I wouldn't buy something is not even vaguely defamatory. You may want to learn what that concept is.

And it is irrelevant that I moderate any forum when posting on one that I don't.

Saying that I wouldn't buy something is not even vaguely defamatory. You may want to learn what that concept is.

And it is irrelevant that I moderate any forum when posting on one that I don't.

I suggest you read your post again.

would be wary of these no-brand fuel outlets tho

did use one that was cheap years ago a few times as it was on a route that I travelled but stopped when I noticed car was labouring to start at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

99c must be below cost selling, it's not unreasonable to question the legitimacy of this.

The last time I remember anyone openly selling clearly below cost as that dodgy-af place on the Blessington Road.

That one was clearly organised crime, border bandit washed diesel no doubt, and got shut down after a few weeks followed by utterly predictable spike in the numbers of punters complaining of destroyed engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

Vic_08 wrote: »
    99c must be below cost selling, it's not unreasonable to question the legitimacy of this.

Not unreasonable at all. https://www.theaa.ie/aa/motoring-advice/petrol-prices.aspx#
    | Petrol| Diesel
    Pump price| 126.4c| 118.5c
    Price before taxes are added| 39.689c| 44.028c
    Breakdown of taxes x 3:
    1. Excise (including carbon)*| 62.771c| 51.902c
    2. Nora**| 2c| 2c
    3. VAT (Temporarily reduced to 21%)| 21.94c| 20.57c
    Total taxes| 86.711c| 74.472c
    Estimated retailer margin| 4c| 4c
    Estimated wholesaler margin| 8c| 8c
    Average price of a barrel of oil (accurate as of 23 Oct)| $41.77| $41.77
    Currency exchange rate - US$1 to Euro (accurate as of 23 Oct.)| €0.84| €0.84
    Tax as %| 68.60%| 62.85%

Sweeneys are oil distributors and own the site and plan to build the hotel there. As I said a very quick Google search will give you the information.

Do people question supermarkets when selling below cost booze?

Simple marketing ploy to get people in and hopefully revisit regularly.

Btw, my DCI price for diesel last week was 93.2c + vat. They probably have a small profit there, the distributor also has a profit from that. So 99.9c is probably about 4c below cost for a distributor.

Easily sustainable as a short term promotion for a weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 81,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is this place open on a regular basis with fresh fuel going through it or is it possible they are trying to offload sludge at the bottom of the tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

hurikane wrote: »

What does it identify as? A petrol station? A diesel station? A vehicle-fluid station? forecourt? A garage? So many questions and opportunities to be offended!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

hurikane wrote: »

Oh please, let's not start this $hit on boards. I'm not taking a position on either of the previous comments. However, using this particular put down should be left (behind) with Trump's America.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

What's the problem with them selling fuel at 99c other fuel companies often have promotional price cuts, supermarkets are forever doing it. Why does selling at a low price for one weekend mean the product is substandard?
    As for the name, I remember thinking, "Who the fcuk are they?" the first time I saw the Applegreen brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Def_IRL

Yes, they seem to have a station in Barndarrig, Wicklow too.
    The fuel receipt says Easy Fuels Ltd, seem to be registered on CRO.ie as a Ltd and have a vat reg number.
    They have FB page
    M.facebook.com/easyfuels20/

Advertisement