Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milking machine wash routine

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

whelan2 wrote: »
    i assume its the same as mine, its a full wash programme after everry collection, rinse, cold wash, hot wash, cold rinse, takes about an hour. It is also programmed to to descale every 4th wash and normal detergent on other washes
    My tank rinses with hot water, surely it should be rinsing with cold water? It takes 20 minutes for complete cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

whelan2 wrote: »
    When we are on every day collection I only wash it every other day

Does that work well for ya whelan? Milk truck coming late these days having to wait to start milking in the evening was thinking of rinsing with hose every second day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Sam Kade wrote: »
    My tank rinses with hot water, surely it should be rinsing with cold water? It takes 20 minutes for complete cycle.

I've our tanks set to rinse with hot water Pre wash and final rinse is cold. Speeds up operation. I gets heat into the SS so wash cycle is really hot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

If it's a pre rinse then its aim is to warm the steel before circulation and keep the temp up on your solution. My second stage pre is warm water.
    Lorry man here reckons first rinse should always be cold cos hot will stick a heavy milk residue onto the tank.

I've our tanks set to rinse with hot water Pre wash and final rinse is cold. Speeds up operation. I gets heat into the SS so wash cycle is really hot
    If it's a pre rinse then its aim is to warm the steel before circulation and keep the temp up on your solution. My second stage pre is warm water.
    Lorry man here reckons first rinse should always be cold cos hot will stick a heavy milk residue onto the tank.
    It's the final rinse that's hot, I'd say it doesn't seem to be taking in any cold water. There's always steam coming out of the tank after washing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Does that work well for ya whelan? Milk truck coming late these days having to wait to start milking in the evening was thinking of rinsing with hose every second day
    grand so far, was using too much electricity / detergent washing it every day

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

ye final rinse here is cold,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Hot wash here every 5 or 6 days, same detergent used until the nxt hot wash, only ever rinse with clean water for evening milking. Tbc normally between 7 and 17, last one was 10. Anything under 50 is good enough for me! Hot water costs a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,072 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Timmaay wrote: »
    Fairly sure mine had no temp sensor. Some else with a darakool might confirm this? Did I mention the tank was cheap ha.

Darikool tank here from crs and water for tank and feeding calves is from heat exchanger which heats water when compressors are cooking milk.water temp on tank for wash is 36/38 degrees.average tbc last year 7 k .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Darikool tank here from crs and water for tank and feeding calves is from heat exchanger which heats water when compressors are cooking milk.water temp on tank for wash is 36/38 degrees.average tbc last year 7 k .

Are those heat exchangers any good?.concept sounds good. Uncle says there a waste of money.
    Haven't got heater on timer yet will sort it out next week but water in heater was still hot this morning and tsnk was washed 24 hrs before that. That's effiecent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

mahoney_j wrote: »

I thought he was talking about some sort of inlet hot water temp sensor, tank washes here in the middle of the night so I don't have a clue what temp it hits. I was thinking of feeding the plate cooler water to the water heater, but very limey water here, and I ain't putting afew thousand litres of water through the water treatment system we have when only 300L needed to be treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Are those heat exchangers any good?.concept sounds good. Uncle says there a waste of money.
    Haven't got heater on timer yet will sort it out next week but water in heater was still hot this morning and tsnk was washed 24 hrs before that. That's effiecent

I thought he meant a plate cooler. If its a bulk tank compressor to water heat exchanger then with a plate cooler its a total waste of time because the plater cooler will have sucked most the heat out of the milk before it hits the tank. A plater cooler exit water to hot water heat exchanger would make sense though.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭johnny122

Depends on the type of heat recovery system some only take a low % of the heat out others take it all, these ones work very well even with plate coolers

Hot wash here every 5 or 6 days, same detergent used until the nxt hot wash, only ever rinse with clean water for evening milking. Tbc normally between 7 and 17, last one was 10. Anything under 50 is good enough for me! Hot water costs a lot of money.

You don't rinse detergent out for the morning milking, never heard of that before.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Decided to bump this up with outlook for moving to chlorine free washing theres mixed results out there.anybody gone chlorine free and what routine is working and what.products

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I was talking to the milk tank service man yesterday and he was saying it's going to be hot washes every day. Kerry are recommending detergent lines be changed when changing over to prevent contamination but he reckons a simple wash will do.

Buying detergents last week and the store guy says they haven't done much about changing over yet. He was saying hot washes every days as well and we might have to add a third pump to the tank for peracetic acid rises at the end of the wash.

Lots of different stories out there atm.

We don't have to change over until September or October so I'll be watching what's working or not for other lads until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

K.G. wrote: »
    Decided to bump this up with outlook for moving to chlorine free washing theres mixed results out there.anybody gone chlorine free and what routine is working and what.products

Chlorine free here the last few years.
    the coop have been very anti chlorine for years.
    We use osean in the tank its a one for all, both pipes lifting detergent are in the same drum. Its dear but works well. Always hot wash tank.
    Use autosan blue in the machine, hot wash every morning, and descale twice a week. Percreatic acid at 2% in final rinse.
    Tbc 10-15 last year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Chlorine free here with a year or so.
    Hot wash every night.
    Acid on monday, Wednesday and friday nights
    Detergent on Tuesday, thursday, saturday and sunday
    Cold wash every morning with paracitic in final wash

Tbc av 11 last year

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

They seem to be recommending a routine of 2 hot then acid wash every 3 rd milking but in reality its easier to do hot every morning and acid in the evening as you d be always wondering which night is it and ill see if that works.tbc have always been messy here and chlorine was alwayd the get of jail card when using caustic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

K.G. wrote: »
    They seem to be recommending a routine of 2 hot then acid wash every 3 rd milking but in reality its easier to do hot every morning and acid in the evening as you d be always wondering which night is it and ill see if that works.tbc have always been messy here and chlorine was alwayd the get of jail card when using caustic

We always do an acid wash once a week, either Monday or Tuesday, depending on what day the collection is. Always follow an acid wash with a hot caustic wash here and hot caustic every 3 days. If the TBC rises at any stage, we would do a double hot acid, hot caustic for 3 days and back to every 3rd day then. Looks like that will change this year.

TBC 7-15 for most of last year but water heater leaked into the insulation last November so TBC rose for the final month.

The acid wash in the milk tank is now supposed to be every second wash instead of every third that we have atm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement