Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tourism Free areas.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Yurt! wrote: »
    Last time I was in Dublin the volume of tourists on the footpath was really getting on my wick.

Part of that is the extremely poor public domain of Dublin, where it should be a world-class compact walking city instead of having to cross the road 59 times in about 100 meters. Part of it is high-volume / low-value tourism that adversely affects quality of life.

Italy is absolutely ridiculous in the summer. Particularly since the Chinese got a taste for the place.

Dublin does pedal a particularly cheap and nasty version of tourism with a well worn path between a certain brewery and crappy ballad sessions in the Temple Bar. The last time I was there I felt like a stranger in my own Country.

You're right also about Italy, I'm in Naples at the moment and while there are some tourists, were definitely in a very small minority, the city's reputation puts the masses off but they don't know what they're missing. We took a trip out to the Amalfi coast yesterday and while it is stunning, it's tourist central, particularly with Americans who drive me around the twist (my other half is American and he's even less tolerant of them) and Chinese both who seem to be on box ticking exercises, interested in only the big sights and never getting anything approaching a real experience, the Chinese never interacting with locals and the yanks spouting all the old well work clichés. We decided to give dinner out there's miss and instead stopped in Salerno which was blissfully tourist free before returning to the chaos but local chaos in Naples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

The thing with many places is pick your timing. May Sept for many places in Europe. Last time i was in Madrid was mid September and there was a noticable differnece in the crowds. Weather was fabulous too still high 20s.
    If you go to Iceland avoid the Blue Lagoon. It's crazy there are plenty of other natural hot springs to go to which are just a nice if not nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭chosen1

I love how some tourists see themselves as being different to the tourists around them.

Have a friend on Facebook who has put up several rants about tourists over running areas like Barcelona etc, posted from these said areas.

Will always justisy their own visit as being much more meaningful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

There are ways to control it.

In Tokyo, there's an area which is a series of alleys and has loads of tiny bars (seating max. Ten people) on it. However, every bar has cover charges for foreigners and some of the bars are 'members only'. Some even flat out say 'no foreigners'. I wasn't paying a tenner to go into that so it worked.in my case.

In Cinque Terre national park they are now controlling the number of tourists that enter it every year. Thank God 'cos when I went there it was bursting at the seams.

It's all down to the human need to do something different which ironically is doing the same as millions of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

chosen1 wrote: »
    I love how some tourists see themselves as being different to the tourists around them.

Have a friend on Facebook who has put up several rants about tourists over running areas like Barcelona etc, posted from these said areas.

I can safely say I don’t think of myself as different or special in this regard. I’m very aware that I’m part of the problem. I am fine with there being some restrictions on where I travel (like a tourist visa system or something). Like I said upthread, I feel less entitled since my Lisbon trip a few years ago.

But you’re right, some people do genuinely think they are a better class of tourist than everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I’m down in Galway for the weekend. The place is still overrun with tourists (and crusties, but that’s for another thread). It got me thinking - should we create tourist free zones in cities?

The Italian government have admitted that Rome, Venice, and Florence have reached bursting point due to mass tourism. Dublin is becoming a city of hotels, and we have had to implement controls on short term apartment lets. Galleries and public spaces are inundated with hoards of Asian tourists bumping into people as they follow a person waving a flag. The whole thing has become a bit of a rat race to be honest.

Would local only pubs, streets, areas be a good idea? I can see the merit to be honest.
    I'm fairly sure refusing someone from a pub based on nationality is illegal. We're not England in the 1950's

• Registered Users Posts: 13,432 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I'm fairly sure refusing someone from a pub based on nationality is illegal. We're not England in the 1950's

Tell McDonalds that . Seen mcd's in cork and Dublin refuse Spanish students because they don't buy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I’m a proud Galwegian, Mattie. As local as Warty Nora drinking buck fast down the Spanish Arch and fighting Knacker Dwarf in Supermacs afterwards.

So you're a tourist in Dublin? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Yes, thats the point. Vast swathes of the city centre should be pedestrianised and privileging cars should be done away with. You can't walk around Dublin at ease - that's also the point.

Privileging cars?
    Regardless of tourism, Dublin needs people who work and shop there and cars are a large part of that. There's plenty of people that aren't serviced adequately by a quality public transport system and pay extra to commute by car, or want to bring the car on saturday to shop.

It's easy to walk around Dublin, it's compact.
    The only thing you're missing is patience.
    Saunter around Dublin at leisure, take in the streets, don't worry about the traffic lights. The only change necessary is your state of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

??

Tourists usually only congregate in certain areas of a city. In Galway its mostly just the city centre and lower salthill, you won't find many tourists in Rahoon or Upper Newcastle. In NYC it's mostly lower Manhattan and you certainly won't find many in say long Island city even though its a stones throw from midtown Manhattan. in New Orleans its French Quarter, in shanghai its the bund and so on.

If you visit Rome, Venice etc in middle of summer expect it to be packed. Visit in January or February when weather is nicer than our summer and there are barely any tourists or queues for big sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Privileging cars?
    Regardless of tourism, Dublin needs people who work and shop there and cars are a large part of that. There's plenty of people that aren't serviced adequately by a quality public transport system and pay extra to commute by car, or want to bring the car on saturday to shop.

Saunter around Dublin at leisure, take in the streets, don't worry about the traffic lights. The only change necessary is your state of mind.

Newsflash, Dublin is one of the worst for city centre traffic congestion in THE WORLD. Not Europe, the world.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dublin-one-of-worst-cities-in-world-for-traffic-congestion-1.3791651?mode=amp

If you think Dublin is a pedestrian friendly city compared to cities like Utrecht or Copenhagen, well, you haven't left your postcode all that often and it's a bit difficult to take you seriously.

And in a city given over to the car, where to the denizens and Ryanair tourists have to go? On narrow footpaths waiting at pedestrian crossings every 20 meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Privileging cars?

Everywhere is well serviced in Dublin by bus, especially on saturdays it is completely viable as there isnt as much traffic.You can also cycle, or drive to a train or luas and park beside it. Really youre just trying to justify your own personal preference for driving in and everyone else having to suffer the presence of your enormous loud car dominating the city. if cars were banned from dublin city centre in the morning business and shopping would do just fine, in fact theyd probably flourish further.

Cars are a big problem in Dublin. Have you lived in any other mainland european cities? Dublins not the worst in that regard, thankfully city council are beginning to ban cars more and more from city centre streets, hopefully in a few years the entire city will be completely car free

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I do,nt think we are yet at the point where we are over run with tourist,s
    ,in some places in spain and italy local people are complaining,
    there,s so many tourists people can hardly go for a walk or go shopping .
    Air travel is cheaper than 10 years ago,
    china is booming, millions of chinese tourist,s want to travel to europe ,
    and they like to spend money.i cannot see car,s being banned from the city centre , the council need,s to collect business rates ,shops need customers .
    IF people with cars cannot drive to the city centre ,they,ll shop online
    or go to local shopping centre,s .
    Theres already dozens of empty shops in the city center.
    I think the long term plan is switch to electric car,s ,in 10 years time,
    petrol or diesel car,s may be banned .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

riclad wrote: »
    I do,nt think we are yet at the point where we are over run with tourist,s
    ,in some places in spain and italy local people are complaining,
    there,s so many tourists people can hardly go for a walk or go shopping .
    Air travel is cheaper than 10 years ago,
    china is booming, millions of chinese tourist,s want to travel to europe ,
    and they like to spend money.i cannot see car,s being banned from the city centre , the council need,s to collect business rates ,shops need customers .
    IF people with cars cannot drive to the city centre ,they,ll shop online
    or go to local shopping centre,s .
    Theres already dozens of empty shops in the city center.
    I think the long term plan is switch to electric car,s ,in 10 years time,
    petrol or diesel car,s may be banned .
    Where? Dublins retail economy is doing extraordinarily well and retail unit letting in the core commercial area is certainly very close to 100%.Even if you literally meant a dozen or so thats obviously a very tiny amount in a city the size of dublin. I guarantee you it would sustain if cars were banned completely and many cafes and bars and resttaurants would get much more service as their patrons could spill onto the streets. Maybe youd have a point in smaller towns, but dublin is a world of its own in this regard, not only does it not need cars, it would thrive without them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

I think North Korea have the right idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Seamai wrote: »
    We decided to give dinner out there's miss and instead stopped in Salerno which was blissfully tourist free before returning to the chaos but local chaos in Naples.

Salerno is a little gem and yes thankfully largely overlooked by tourists. Long may it stay that way.

Best pizzas in the world there too.

chosen1 wrote: »

"I'm not a tourist, I'm an adventurer/traveller".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

2 examples , on a side street near mountjoy sq, there,s 3 small shops ,boarded up.
    There,s a new apartment building 8 minutes walk from o,connell street
    ,at the ground floor theres a retail space for rent .
    It has a large sign ,retail space for rent, phone no, ,... etc
    Its been vacant for 12 months since the building was completed .
    I,m talking about small shop,s in minor side streets .
    i know grafton st, henry st is booming.
    i read article in a paper ,has dublin too many cafe,s , restaurants .
    it says many small shops are closing , they cannot compete with
    online stores or amazon.
    Why drive into the city centre to buy books or cd,s ,
    just click on a website ,order online.
    It says many streets have mostly restaurants, cafe,s , fast food outlets,

Small shops that sell book,s , cds are almost extinct in dublin.
    if i cycled around dublin i could find dozen,s of small shops
    that are boarded up.

Anyone who travels to a different country distant from their home is a tourist,
    unless they are paid to do so like a soldier or a journalist.

Answer where ?, parnell st, side streets near mountjoy sq ,
    many streets within a mile of the gpo,
    walk or cyle around and see what you find.
    An adventurer is a person who goe,s off the beaten track, to places or area,s where there are not 1000,s of tourist,s and doe,s not stay in 4 star hotels .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

the only tourist free spot now is your own land if you are lucky enough to own it you can walk the dogs listen to the birds pick blackberries sit in the field in the sun and no one will bother you but that is only for the privileged few........ like me and i live in the west so beautiful and fresh if you are gregarious and need to be around other folk you have to put up with the crowds and the bullsheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

If you think Dublin is a pedestrian friendly city compared to cities like Utrecht or Copenhagen, well, you haven't left your postcode all that often and it's a bit difficult to take you seriously

I'm well traveled and have been in Utrecht, a lovely university town with cafes along the sunken/recessed canal that goes through it.
    So your presumption of me is way off.
    I would've said Prague or Leuven were more pedestrianised.

But you're hardly comparing like for like. Comparing an old town with a capital city which also happens to be a major port and financial centre.

I've used public transport for 10 years, it sucks.
    Long queues, pushing and shoving to get on, delays, strikes, anti social behaviour.
    Then add to that if you have kids and a load of shopping in tow.

I didn't say Dublin was pedestrian friendly, but if you have an impatient state of mind it will feel worse.

Depends on where you go.
    Henry st and Grafton st are pedestrianised.

• Advertisement

the only tourist free spot now is your own land if you are lucky enough to own it you can walk the dogs listen to the birds pick blackberries sit in the field in the sun and no one will bother you but that is only for the privileged few........ like me and i live in the west so beautiful and fresh if you are gregarious and need to be around other folk you have to put up with the crowds and the bullsheet.

You're so lucky to live in the West. This is where I want to be in a few years time. Either the West or South West, haven't decided yet. A few acres, away from everyone, peace and quiet for the rest of my life with the other half and lots of farm animals and pets. Bliss.

Enjoy :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I have a small tourism business, I would like more tourists in order to have a large tourism business.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement