Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veggie Love.

Options
  • 16-11-2007 6:06pm

What is your status?

Are you in a realtionship with a veggie/vegan?
    If so how did come about, did you fancy each other straight away or did you work at it because you shared ideals?
    Or are you in a relationship with a meat eater? Do you find you the difference has any effect on the realtionship? If you have children how do you agree to raise them?

If your single does your choice to be a veg*n affect your choice of partner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

ah, i love this kind of chat! i am a vegan, in a relationship with a veggie. works out very well :D hmmm, how did it begin? we were friends, and i had learnt he was veggie, and then we hung out one day (before i'd always hung out with him while i was in a relationship)... magic! it was a definite plus knowing he was veggie :) i suppose it's part of who you are.

shall we be hearing your comments on this moonbaby? ;)

You lucky thing!
    I think it is a lovely ideal to be in a relationship with a fellow veggie or vegan.
    When I was much younger, it was a criteria.
    That didn't work out so well for me, pickings were slim, and while it was a nice to share that common bond, I found the process a bit artifical.
    I think realtionships work better for me if they are based on an initial attraction.

I'm lucky in that it has never been a bone of contention with a meateater boyfriend. I have never had someone try to convert me, nor have I have.
    I'm wondering if someone is trying to convert chessplayer at the minute. ;)
    But I do think that wanting to raise veggie children would cause rows.
    Thats a non-negotiable for me.

Although I know veg*n couples who chose to raise their children as meateaters, until such time as they can chose for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

In a relationship with a fellow veggie. she inadvertantly converted me by the way. works very handily ;) no worrying about meal contents!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Although I know veg*n couples who chose to raise their children as meateaters, until such time as they can chose for themselves.
    How do you cook and buy meat products? I never could.

I was a veggie before I met the current Mrs Slap but after a while she started eating whatever I ate... and liked it. Shortly after she gave up the meat and is still a veggie.

Kids came along and we fed them on a vegetarian diet with the caveat that if there were any issues we would deal with that. There wasn't. They were the healthiest kids around and still are. My daughter, now 18, went over to "the dark side" in her teens (her phrase!) but my son who's 14 has not intention of ever eating meat.

I actually do buy and cook meat for someone that I care for, who isn't physically able to do so for themselves.
    I felt just like you before,Necessity meant I just had to get over it.
    I would never cook meat for an other half though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭great unwashed

Have several friends who are committed vegetarians (women) and they insist on feeding their children with whatever the children eat be it meat or not and let them decide themselves later. Whatcha think of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Interesting question...

My partner follows a mostly vegetarian diet, like me. She did, on and off, before we met, but more off than on since from what I can gather, her diet consisted mainly of chips during the meat-free phases. mShe had to get some nutrition from somewhere occasionally.

I do almost all the cooking, she likes what I serve up, and we're both deliriously happy :) But diet was nothing to do with the initial attraction, it was just a bonus to find out we both felt pretty much the same about eating dead things.

I wouldn't cook meat for anyone no matter how much I loved them. Nor let them use my pans to cook it for themselves. Kids not an issue either (fortunately!), but I'd be like you Slaphead - I wouldn't cook meat for them, they'd have to sort it out for themselves if they wanted it once they were old enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

they insist on feeding their children with whatever the children eat be it meat or not and let them decide themselves later. Whatcha think of that?

So they're teaching their kids a different set of values than they live by themselves? I don't get it. As a vegetarian I can't pretend that I believe eating meat is "normal" - should I show my kids how to be a hypocrite? (a useful skill in Ireland I'll admit!)

Diet is just one part of rearing children, as parents you influence them in many many ways. I may be agnostic but I'm not not going to teach my kids catholicism until they make up their own minds.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i am a vegetarian, in a relationship with a vegan. works out very well hmmm, how did it begin? We were friends, and I had learnt she was veggie, and then we hung out one day (before i'd always hung out with her while she was in a relationship and I ws in love with somebody else)... magic! It was a definite plus knowing she was vegan. I suppose it's part of who you are.
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Be very gentle with your vegan partner the first time. You don't want them to remember it as a bad experienc...whoops! Thought this was PI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

In relationship at the moment with a vegan. I am neither vegan or vegatarian. havent had any problems thou, is nice to be with someone different, if ya get me. When i tell people i meet shes vegan they all go, "What?!! But why?!!" lol!

I respect her lifestyle and choices and she respects mine. works out great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Hi,

I have been vegetarian 13 years. My boyfriend eats meat but will also eat veggie food. I will cook meat for him and my family I have no problems with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

my girlfriend's a veggie. we were friends before we started going out so i knew this going into the relationship. i don't mind eating veggie stuff, it makes me feel healthier :D

the only trouble is cooking with different pots/pans and cleaning the george forman VERY thoroughly after cooking meat on it.

though i don't mind the substitute meats. the beef generally sucks, but the chicken isn't so bad. hard to describe though. it's chicken, but not...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Try the meatballs, oh yeah, better than real ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭maniac101

I gave up eating animals years ago. I've since married a meat eater and have two meat-eating children. They're subjected to a lot of vegetarian dishes though, as I don't and won't cook meat for them. No problems up to recently. Lately however, my oldest little girl has started to ask why daddy's dinner is different to hers!

my girlfriend's a veggie. we were friends before we started going out so i knew this going into the relationship. i don't mind eating veggie stuff, it makes me feel healthier :D

the only trouble is cooking with different pots/pans and cleaning the george forman VERY thoroughly after cooking meat on it.

though i don't mind the substitute meats. the beef generally sucks, but the chicken isn't so bad. hard to describe though. it's chicken, but not...

What does your Gf cook on the George Foreman?

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    So they're teaching their kids a different set of values than they live by themselves? I don't get it. As a vegetarian I can't pretend that I believe eating meat is "normal" - should I show my kids how to be a hypocrite? (a useful skill in Ireland I'll admit!)

Diet is just one part of rearing children, as parents you influence them in many many ways. I may be agnostic but I'm not not going to teach my kids catholicism until they make up their own minds.

I pretty much agree with this. I don't understand your friends logic, but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Moonbaby wrote: »
    What does your Gf cook on the George Foreman?

uses it to heat up wraps, sandwiches and the like. handier then using the grill :D

then there's veggie burgers and so on

Advertisement