Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seriously Agressive Taxi Driver

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AhInFairness

The problem is some taxies dont do their job alright. BUT, when this happens...............the disgruntled passengers ALSO dont do their job in REPORTING it. Your like most the Irish and the whole political arena we live in, you dont get up off your ars.es and protest, you jump online to moan and look for sympathetic ears. That toe-rag (driver) will treat the next short fare for DA the same BECAUSE he got away with it.

Sweet Jesus.

I reported it this morning, just like I said I was going to in the other thread. So why don't you climb down off your high horse. Nowhere on this thread did I say I WASN'T going to report it.

I responded to a thread about the same issue. Is that not allowed?? Oh and I'm most certainly not looking for sympathetic ears. I couldn't give a crap if people sympathise with what happened. I merely posted to show that the OP isn't alone in his experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Ive actually made my mind up about you repsol. Your posts show you to be small minded and unable to comprehend that just because a small number of taxi drivers behave in a certain way it doesn't mean that they all do. This lack of comprehension may be indicative of an underlying lack of intelligence.

Your name says it all,Furious !If you can't make a decent living driving a taxi ,and it is clearly annoying you,do something else.But wait ,you can't,because you are I suspect an uneducated person with no skills other than a PSV licence which anyone can easily get.If you don't and the rest of the taxi drivers are going to start crying every time something negative is said about taxis,I suggest you stick to your own forums where you can happily communicate with other like minded neanderthals.And by the way George, whats the story with sending me pm messages to my email?Am I supposed to feel intimidated or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Sweet Jesus.

I reported it this morning, just like I said I was going to in the other thread. So why don't you climb down off your high horse. Nowhere on this thread did I say I WASN'T going to report it.

I responded to a thread about the same issue. Is that not allowed?? Oh and I'm most certainly not looking for sympathetic ears. I couldn't give a crap if people sympathise with what happened. I merely posted to show that the OP isn't alone in his experience.

And thankyou for taking the trouble to report it, now just as an aside to the general thread here, given your OP
    Happened to me yesterday morning.

Arrived in Dublin Airport from JFK after having our original flight cancelled. We were absolutely shattered after a pretty tiring few days of hurricane Sandy and then the overnight flight which means no sleep whatsoever. So we go out to the rank, driver is all smiles and puts the bags in the boot and then says "where to?" The conversation went as follows...

Me: Applewood in Swords please.
    Him: Well it's lovely to see yis (majorly sarcastic) Why do yis do it to us?
    Me: Do what?
    Him: Applewood in Swords? I've been here for 3 hours.
    Me: If you have a problem with the fare we'll go with someone else.
    Him: I'm only joking.
    Me: No you're not joking. Its always the same at this rank. If you don't want my money then let me out and I'll give it to someone else. We've been stuck in New York because of a hurricane and not in the humour for sarky comments.
    Him: I've been waiting here for 3 hours because of the hurricane.
    Me: Not my problem. If you don't want the fare bring us back to the rank and we'll get out.
    Him: ...silence...

He attempted ridiculous small talk a few minutes into the trip but got nowhere. I was so angry because I knew it was going to happen. It always does at the airport. What was expecting? Someone to come out and say "Cork please!"

I don't owe anyone a living and I don't have any sympathy for taxi drivers that treat paying customers like crap because they don't feel that they're getting enough out of them.

on a scale of 1-10 where would you rate him on
    a Aggression
    b Abusiveness
    c Area knowledge
    d Driving Abilities

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Not particularly effective though...

If it was a case of you were avoiding an ethnic minority because of a bad service issue you'd be guilty of racism, similarly you are avoiding a complete service industry based on the same premise of bad service from a few drivers.... see the similarity

Ehhh No I don't see the similarity

A taxi driver isn't in the same position to report on another taxi driver simply because we aren't in the vehicle, you the passenger are. Now unless the NTA suddenly decide to employ a couple of hundred more enforcement agents ( ain't gonna happen ) unless the customers report the incidents to the relevant office then nothings going to get done

How many times have you seen an incident at a rank? How often have you reported it.

As I posted earlier, at the Burlington one of the taxi drivers standing around in a group (smoking, blocking the footpath) that shouted at the black driver going by. None of the others pulled him up on it. I have seen the drivers at the airport again in a big circle smoking giving customers hassle about short trips. Any of the group could have reported it or ostracised him but chose not to. As I already said Taxi drivers should be looking out for their own industry.

Also I found this thread on the taxi forum site. Have a read of it and in particular pay attention to what the poster rat catcher says and how many people agree/disagree with what he says

http://irishtaxi.org/forum/index.php/topic,21295.0.html

It genuinely scares me that people like the posters there are allowed to pick up members of the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Ehhh No I don't see the similarity.

Maybe re read it

How many times have you seen an incident at a rank? How often have you reported it..

You are not always on a rank so you don't know .you see ONE incident and tar all
    As I posted earlier, at the Burlington one of the taxi drivers standing around in a group (smoking, blocking the footpath)..

I wasn't aware smoking outdoors on a footpath or even "blocking " a footpath was against the law.

that shouted at the black driver going by. ..

Were you there long enough to find out what exactly had happened ,for all anyone knows something may have happened between both drivers
    ,before you arrived on the scene ,You put 2 and 2 together and got a million.

I have seen the drivers at the airport again in a big circle smoking giving customers hassle about short trips.

Nothing wrong with smoking outdoors .
    It's highly unlikely any driver will or does give "customers hassle " in full view of the green caps who are there or otehr drivers .An individual driver may give out to a passenger (wrongly in my opinion) about short journey as they are driving there ,but he/she will not do so in front of the green caps as the will/could lose their permit ,,,,FACT
    As I already said Taxi drivers should be looking out for their own industry. .

They are .Three years ago they held numerous protests looking for MORE regulation and MORE ENFORCERS.At present there are NINE enforcers for the whole of the country .
    Taxi drivers are fully aware of illegal activity and tried many many times to get Dempsey(FF) to do something but he ignored it ,
    The Primetime programme a year or so ago wasn't news to any driver out there ,they know/knew full well what was going on ,told relevant authories and again it was ignored .
    Alas it took a Primetime programme for the new minister/government to do something which they are apparently ,albeit way to slow .It is up to passengers as well to look out for illegal or any wrong doing in the taxi business.
    Coming onto forums and saying this that and the other and calling all drivers names ,is futile and childish .These people would be far better off making an offical complaint to the relevant bodies.
    Also I found this thread on the taxi forum site. Have a read of it and in particular pay attention to what the poster rat catcher says and how many people agree/disagree with what he says

http://irishtaxi.org/forum/index.php/topic,21295.0.html

It genuinely scares me that people like the posters there are allowed to pick up members of the public.

Going onto a taxi thread made up of half a dozen posters and saying it is the norm within the taxi business is just silly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

oisindoyle wrote: »
    Maybe re read it

Re read it. Still don't see the similarity. If I choose to ride a motor bike am I discriminating against everyone in the car manufacture and distribution industry?
    You are not always on a rank so you don't know .you see ONE incident and tar all
    Correct I am not always on the rank. Why would I be? There seems to be ample experiences here though and coupled with my own paint a grim picture of the drivers in question.
    I wasn't aware smoking outdoors on a footpath or even "blocking " a footpath was against the law.

I never said it was, that is why I had it in brackets as an aside to my actual point.
    Were you there long enough to find out what exactly had happened ,for all anyone knows something may have happened between both drivers
    ,before you arrived on the scene ,You put 2 and 2 together and got a million.
    Don't care what happened. The language was disgusting and (which I subsequently found out) illegal.
    It's highly unlikely any driver will or does give "customers hassle " in full view of the green caps who are there or otehr drivers .An individual driver may give out to a passenger (wrongly in my opinion) about short journey as they are driving there ,but he/she will not do so in front of the green caps as the will/could lose their permit ,,,,FACT
    I have witnessed this personally FACT. BTW just because you say FACT does not make it so.
    They are .Three years ago they held numerous protests looking for MORE regulation and MORE ENFORCERS.At present there are NINE enforcers for the whole of the country .
    Taxi drivers are fully aware of illegal activity and tried many many times to get Dempsey(FF) to do something but he ignored it ,

Good to hear. Hopefully they keep it up. I don't think anyone is arguing for the high standards that the FF governments had.
    Coming onto forums and saying this that and the other and calling all drivers names ,is futile and childish .These people would be far better off making an offical complaint to the relevant bodies.
    I never called anyone names and I have made 'official complaints' before and f**k all is done about it. A warning or a slap on the wrist is all they get.
    Going onto a taxi thread made up of half a dozen posters and saying it is the norm within the taxi business is just silly
    The fact that you cannot even condemn those comments speaks volumes Oisin. Seriously you are a good contributor here but those comments are disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Furious_George

repsol wrote: »
    Your name says it all,Furious !If you can't make a decent living driving a taxi ,and it is clearly annoying you,do something else.But wait ,you can't,because you are I suspect an uneducated person with no skills other than a PSV licence which anyone can easily get.If you don't and the rest of the taxi drivers are going to start crying every time something negative is said about taxis,I suggest you stick to your own forums where you can happily communicate with other like minded neanderthals.And by the way George, whats the story with sending me pm messages to my email?Am I supposed to feel intimidated or something?

I am reporting this post for your claim that I sent a pm to your email, this is an outright lie and I'm sure the mods/admins can tell this.

I am not a taxi driver, I have a degree, a masters and work in economic research. Your claims that I am uneducated are therefore without foundation. I used to work in pubs to pay my way through 6 years of college and came in contact with many taxi drivers; as I said most of these were gents who provided a great service.

Jesus Oisin.Surely even you must think the comments made by that wannabe KKK asshole "rat catcher" were disgraceful! That forum should be closed down.Some of what is on it would make John Terry blush.That girl came on looking for help to settle her fathers' estate and is met with some gob****e asking "pazzed wha?" (obviously a new dialect) followed by a questionnaire to ascertain if her deceased dad was a racist bigot.All this crap about a few posters doesn't stand up.How many people read that thread without posting?You have not addressed the issue of certain ranks being "no go" areas for black drivers and even Irish drivers not in the "clique".Are you of the opinion that all ranks in Dublin are open to ALL drivers?(obvious exception being the Airport which requires a permit) Yes or No

Well George,if you are not a taxi driver,what are you getting so bent out of shape for.Your degree must be in moaning.If you want to report me ,go ahead,I'm not bothered.

Correct I am not always on the rank. Why would I be? There seems to be ample experiences here though and coupled with my own paint a grim picture of the drivers in question..

Experiences "here" and reality on a rank are two completely different things .There are loads of "myths" about this rank and that rank all of which are exactly that,.......... "myths "

Don't care what happened. The language was disgusting and (which I subsequently found out) illegal..

But you don't know what happened between these individuals,You were there for a moment or two ,for all anyone knows ,something could have happened earlier which caused this outburst .
    If swearing is illegal ,then I think our prisons would be bursting at the seam ,even more so!

I have witnessed this personally FACT. BTW just because you say FACT does not make it so...

No driver has ever or will say anything to a potential passenger in front of the green caps ,or other drivers.
    !)He/she could lose their permit
    2)If first driver refuses to take anyone on short journey ,it will be reported and no driver next in line will take anothers job ,if first driver is acting up ....FACT

I never called anyone names and I have made 'official complaints' before and f**k all is done about it. A warning or a slap on the wrist is all they get....

I never said YOU called anyone names ,re read the post.
    If you have made an offical complaint and are not happy with how things are being run ,write /phone the Ministers Office and tell them .Then everyone is happy

The fact that you cannot even condemn those comments speaks volumes Oisin. Seriously you are a good contributor here but those comments are disgusting.

It speaks volumes in the sense of ,why on earth would I want to look at a "taxi forum" that is not representative of the taxi business?....Jeez!
    If you feel someones comments are disgusting ,get onto the forum adminstrators /operators.Make a complaint do something !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

2)If first driver refuses to take anyone on short journey ,it will be reported and no driver next in line will take anothers job ,if first driver is acting up ....FACT

Is a passenger not free to choose any taxi in a rank and not just the first?

• Advertisement

Myths that people here are passing off a their own personal experiences then?

Swearing is not illegal but shouting a racial slur across Sussex Road is illegal. Racism is a crime.

You seem to think that everybody needs to get together to sort out the Taxi industry. There are plenty things I am more worried about than what Taxi drivers do. Do you think I have the time to petition government on your behalf or get onto admins of a website that seems predominantly for Taxi drivers? I have enough to do to keep a job going and try to pass exams than worry about the Taxi industry. This is why I have repeatedly said that the drivers should be disciplining themselves. I don't know how else i can phrase this to make you understand.
    I don't use taxis anymore because of my experiences with them. That is not my loss. That is the taxi industries loss. The fact that you are here doubting every bit of feedback given here shows a reluctance on the part of the drivers to face upto the truth.

Re the airport queue. I arrived at the airport and their was a group of drunk guys in front of me in the tax queue. There was about 10 drivers stading in a big circle (late enough think there was a plane coming in from the US). All of the Taxi drivers refused to take the drunk guys. I quote 'we are here to pick up passengers, not pissheads'. Fair enough the guys may have said something to them so may have been justified in refusing them.
    I then went to get a taxi and when I told them I wanted to goto Donaghmede (where I was living at the time) I was told to 'F**k off' as I was being abusive. I explained that me and the gf were not with the previous group they still refused to take us.
    I attempted to take the details of the driver who was first in the queue and was told 'If you lay a f**kin hand on my car I will kill you stone dead'.

But Oisin you will claim this is a myth too but this is what happened. FACT. As Jules says in Pulp Fiction "Look, do you wanna play blindman? Go walk with the shepherd. But me, my eyes are wide f**king open."

Stheno wrote: »

Relating to the airport only!

That's if the passenger chooses to, not if the driver tries to pass a short journey to another driver, if a driver tries to pass a fare over it'll usually bring up a conflict between the drivers up there

Well this came from the then Taxi Regulator KD about 3 yrs ago , much to the incredulity of many a taxi driver.
    It has caused so much trouble on ranks and has and is leading to passengers passing numerous cars on a rank for no other reason than the first car may be driven by a black person.
    Obviously this has undercurrents of people being racist .....which is wrong
    It is only fair that first car on rank is the first car a passenger takes,IMO

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That's if the passenger chooses to, not if the driver tries to pass a short journey to another driver, if a driver tries to pass a fare over it'll usually bring up a conflict between the drivers up there

I'm a bit confused, my understanding was that at any rank if you didn't like the driver/car that was first in the queue you could choose another?

is it different at the airport in that it's first in the queue has inalienable rights?

Apparently they now have a system at the airport where if you are back within 20 minutes your space in the rank is not affected i.e. you don't go to the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭everyday taxi

Not particularly effective though...

If it was a case of you were avoiding an ethnic minority because of a bad service issue you'd be guilty of racism, similarly you are avoiding a complete service industry based on the same premise of bad service from a few drivers.... see the similarity

Anyway back to the other bit of your argument

A taxi driver isn't in the same position to report on another taxi driver simply because we aren't in the vehicle, you the passenger are. Now unless the NTA suddenly decide to employ a couple of hundred more enforcement agents ( ain't gonna happen ) unless the customers report the incidents to the relevant office then nothings going to get done

zactly.

Myths that people here are passing off a their own personal experiences then?

Swearing is not illegal but shouting a racial slur across Sussex Road is illegal. Racism is a crime.

You seem to think that everybody needs to get together to sort out the Taxi industry. There are plenty things I am more worried about than what Taxi drivers do. Do you think I have the time to petition government on your behalf or get onto admins of a website that seems predominantly for Taxi drivers? I have enough to do to keep a job going and try to pass exams than worry about the Taxi industry. This is why I have repeatedly said that the drivers should be disciplining themselves. I don't know how else i can phrase this to make you understand.
    I don't use taxis anymore because of my experiences with them. That is not my loss. That is the taxi industries loss. The fact that you are here doubting every bit of feedback given here shows a reluctance on the part of the drivers to face upto the truth.

Re the airport queue. I arrived at the airport and their was a group of drunk guys in front of me in the tax queue. There was about 10 drivers stading in a big circle (late enough think there was a plane coming in from the US). All of the Taxi drivers refused to take the drunk guys. I quote 'we are here to pick up passengers, not pissheads'. Fair enough the guys may have said something to them so may have been justified in refusing them.
    I then went to get a taxi and when I told them I wanted to goto Donaghmede (where I was living at the time) I was told to 'F**k off' as I was being abusive. I explained that me and the gf were not with the previous group they still refused to take us.
    I attempted to take the details of the driver who was first in the queue and was told 'If you lay a f**kin hand on my car I will kill you stone dead'.

But Oisin you will claim this is a myth too but this is what happened. FACT. As Jules says in Pulp Fiction "Look, do you wanna play blindman? Go walk with the shepherd. But me, my eyes are wide f**king open."

Did you report a crime....No, so how heinous does a crime have to be before you report it
    I don't use taxis anymore because of my experiences with them. That is not my loss. That is the taxi industries loss.

Not really, because you can't see the fact that tarring ALL taxi drivers with the same brush is basically the same as tarring all Africans with the same brush, you'd let the good ones suffer because you'd sooner avoid the problem.

So, lets get this right, you had someone threaten you with GBH within earshot of the greencaps ( I assume ) and you let them away with it, but you'd expect someone to report them on your behalf as self regulating the industry

Just out of interest why would you be laying hands on his car though anyway?

Added Edit
    <snipped>

As I posted earlier, at the Burlington one of the taxi drivers standing around in a group (smoking, blocking the footpath) that shouted at the black driver going by. None of the others pulled him up on it. I have seen the drivers at the airport again in a big circle smoking giving customers hassle about short trips. Any of the group could have reported it or ostracised him but chose not to. As I already said Taxi drivers should be looking out for their own industry.

<snipped>.

How come it changes from
    I have seen the drivers at the airport again in a big circle smoking giving customers hassle about short trips.
    to

I'm a bit confused, my understanding was that at any rank if you didn't like the driver/car that was first in the queue you could choose another?

is it different at the airport in that it's first in the queue has inalienable rights?

Apparently they now have a system at the airport where if you are back within 20 minutes your space in the rank is not affected i.e. you don't go to the end of it.

Never having done so, there is ( as far as I'm aware ) nothing preventing you from seeking to take whichever vehicle is at one of the 6? stands by the door, however, you may well have to know and be ready to assert your rights.

Swearing is not illegal but shouting a racial slur across Sussex Road is illegal. Racism is a crime.."
    True ,but you see now you are expanding on your "experience " which is different than you earlier post.
    You seem to think that everybody needs to get together to sort out the Taxi industry

No I'm not .what I did say was ,it is pointless people coming onto a forum and giving out about a taxi driver and then not doing anything about it .If more people complained about a driver who they had a bad experience with ,then everyone would be happy ,,drivers and passengers alike .
    Unfortunately ,people prefer to moan on forums instead of making an offical complaint to relevant body.

Do you think I have the time to petition government on your behalf or get onto admins of a website that seems predominantly for Taxi drivers?

Well why complain about it then ,why not just get on with your life and ignore it ,instead of complaining about it !

I don't use taxis anymore because of my experiences with them.?
    Good for you

The fact that you are here doubting every bit of feedback given here shows a reluctance on the part of the drivers to face upto the truth.

I'm not doubting anything .I will though pass comment when posters make wild inaccurate false and over exaggerated comments .
    Re the airport queue. I arrived at the airport and their was a group of drunk guys in front of me in the tax queue. There was about 10 drivers stading in a big circle (late enough think there was a plane coming in from the US). All of the Taxi drivers refused to take the drunk guys. I quote 'we are here to pick up passengers, not pissheads'..

The driver/drivers are well within their right to refuse people who have excess alcohol taken

I attempted to take the details of the driver who was first in the queue and was told 'If you lay a f**kin hand on my car I will kill you stone dead'...

You shouldnt have been spoken to like that ,agreed ,Perhaps the driver thought you were part of the group who were drunk.Regardless you shouldnt have been spoken to like that .
    But you see this story is diffferent to your earlier "airport" story in tha you were clearer about events .

I'm claiming nothing ,but as I said ,you expanded on your story and eaplined it in more detail than first time you mentioned the airport .
    Just to add not all drivers behave oin this manner ,in the same way as not all passengers behave lbadly

Never having done so, there is ( as far as I'm aware ) nothing preventing you from seeking to take whichever vehicle is at one of the 6? stands by the door, however, you may well have to know and be ready to assert your rights.

I've done it at College Green frequently and it's been fine, even if the first guy starts blustering, just telling him that I am aware that I as the customer can choose usually shuts them up, while taking out the camera phone and pointing it at their plate number.

I work abroad a lot, and use taxis a huge amount, the difference in service in the Uk, other Eu countries and Ireland is unbelievable.

• Advertisement

I've done it at College Green frequently and it's been fine, even if the first guy starts blustering, just telling him that I am aware that I as the customer can choose usually shuts them up, while taking out the camera phone and pointing it at their plate number.

I work abroad a lot, and use taxis a huge amount, the difference in service in the Uk, other Eu countries and Ireland is unbelievable.

yeah as I say I've never bothered trying it at the airport, usually traveling with way too many hard shell cases to fit a saloon boot so usually in the first MPV that's big enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

If a passenger chooses the second or any taxi apart from the one at the head of the Q there is nothing the drivers can do except put themselves off hire and leave the rank immediately!
    So taxi drivers would not be prepared to protect or assert the rights of their customers?

And thankyou for taking the trouble to report it, now just as an aside to the general thread here, given your OP

on a scale of 1-10 where would you rate him on
    a Aggression
    b Abusiveness
    c Area knowledge
    d Driving Abilities

I'm confused as to the relevance of this. What does it matter where he is rated on a scale of 1 to 10? His attitude from the minute he found out where we wanted to go was out of order and shouldn't have happened. End of story.
    zactly.

Care to respond to my post, everyday taxi? No? Didn't think so. :rolleyes:

I'm confused as to the relevance of this. What does it matter where he is rated on a scale of 1 to 10? His attitude from the minute he found out where we wanted to go was out of order and shouldn't have happened. End of story.

Care to respond to my post, everyday taxi? No? Didn't think so. :rolleyes:

Because I'm just trying to put some context to it. You'd arrived in after a delay, you were miffed, he was miffed, just trying to gauge how aggressive.abusive etc. he was

Because I'm just trying to put some context to it. You'd arrived in after a delay, you were miffed, he was miffed, just trying to gauge how aggressive.abusive etc. he was

I have relayed the conversation as it happened.

I was not "miffed" until he started with the attitude over the short fare. I was extremely happy to getting into a taxi and going home to my bed.

It doesn't matter that he didn't shout or swear at me. He had a disgraceful attitude that I have seen far too many times at that rank.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If a passenger chooses the second or any taxi apart from the one at the head of the Q there is nothing the drivers can do except put themselves off hire and leave the rank immediately!

So taxi drivers would not be prepared to protect or assert the rights of their customers?

Usually depends on what rights they are trying to assert and as in most business's which right will provide the better benefit.

I'm not in business to cost myself money.

An example, girl got into my cab at a NS venue, says yer man at the front won't take me because it's only local, so I take her and wind the window down at the front when passing him and call him a few choice expletives, knowing full well that I'm probably going to get a better tip from the girl for standing up for her rights. I also know that I'll be back for the rush in about 10 mins. It's all to do with the bottom line at the end of the day

• Advertisement

Did you report a crime....No, so how heinous does a crime have to be before you report it
    No as I explained in my previous post.

I didn't tar all taxi drivers with the same brush and if you think making a generalisation about 12,000 or so Irish taxi drivers in the same as making generalisations about half a billion Africans from many diverse etnicities and cultures, then you need some perspective. I do note that you posted on the thread in question and were actually defended by the rat catcher guy. Friend of yours? I also note in fairness to yourself that you did not post after that comment was made.
    So, lets get this right, you had someone threaten you with GBH within earshot of the greencaps
    No idea what a greencap is. But yes and it was reported to the carriage office. I can give you the name of the Guard that dealt with it (ie told the taxi driver off/slap on wrist)
    Just out of interest why would you be laying hands on his car though anyway?
    Couldn't see his ID as it was dark. Was not sure if reg would be enough so wanted his number.
    How come it changes from
    I could give you many more incidents like when I was in Killiney and wanted to goto Glenageary but the driver refused us saying he wanted to go back to city centre or when the taxi driver during an icey spell decided to impress the young lads (me and my friends many years ago) by skidding his car into a 360 on a main road or when the taxi driver decided that the price he quoted when I got in wasn't enough and left me stranded in Leixlip on my way to Maynooth etc etc. I am not here to give my life story and mostly people here take what is said at face value without having to go into all the details.
    what I did say was ,it is pointless people coming onto a forum and giving out about a taxi driver and then not doing anything about it
    It isn't. It raises awareness and lets others know what to look out for an what their rights are.

So Spook do you think that forum represents views of taxi drivers contrary to what Oisin has said?

I have relayed the conversation as it happened.

I was not "miffed" until he started with the attitude over the short fare. I was extremely happy to getting into a taxi and going home to my bed.

It doesn't matter that he didn't shout or swear at me. He had a disgraceful attitude that I have seen far too many times at that rank.

So stop fudging and give me a rating from 1-10 on his aggression and abusiveness, bearing in mind that
    he didn't shout or swear at me

So stop fudging and give me a rating from 1-10 on his aggression and abusiveness, bearing in mind that .

Excuse me? I didn't realise I had to answer to you.

So because he didn't shout or swear at me he did nothing wrong? Being hostile and giving out about the short fare was ok because he didn't shout? Unreal.

<snipped>

So Spook do you think that forum represents views of taxi drivers contrary to what Oisin has said?

I don't see what the forum has to do with the topic under discussion, unless you're using it to try and score points.

The forum allows people to express many views, some are obnoxious, some aren't, most are controversial at some time or another, some develop an "on line persona" that is totally different to themselves in real life, "keyboard warriors" if you like, such as FDS/Gerry etc.

Others aren't even taxi drivers, they just pop on now and again to stir things up, there is one trouble though, quite a few of the guys just don't realize you shouldn't feed the trolls but hey that's what makes the world tick, you even get trolls in taxis trying to wind you up under the guise of "just having a bit of banter"

Excuse me? I didn't realise I had to answer to you.

So because he didn't shout or swear at me he did nothing wrong? Being hostile and giving out about the short fare was ok because he didn't shout? Unreal.

No you don't have to answer me at all, you can fudge around a direct question as much as you like, just means I have no context in which to view your post as compared to the thread title of "Seriously Aggressive Taxi Driver"

• Advertisement

No you don't have to answer me at all, you can fudge around a direct question as much as you like, just means I have no context in which to view your post as compared to the thread title of "Seriously Aggressive Taxi Driver"

The main topic of the thread concerns the issue of some taxi driver's having a problem with a short fare from the airport. I was, very obviously, responding to that aspect of the thread.

Do me a favour Spook_ie, do not attempt to twist what I'm saying. I didn't say he was aggressive (as it happens he was extremely hostile, there is a difference) I said that I had the same problem with a driver at the airport having a problem with the location to which I wanted to go.

Your question is ridiculous. I have said what happened and I have explained the driver's attitude towards me and my partner which was based solely on us wanting to go what he deemed to be too short a distance.

Your question is simply an attempt to paint the driver as innocent (afterall he didn't shout or swear) and me as overreactionary. Well I'm not biting, thanks all the same.

I didn't tar all taxi drivers with the same brush and if you think making a generalisation about 12,000 or so Irish taxi drivers?

Well given that you no longer get taxis at all ,it is quite obvious that you are tarring ALL drivers with the same brush and saying they are all one and the same

No idea what a greencap is.

A green cap is one of the DAA's people who stand at the airport taxi rank and direct people to taxis ,They are also there to oversee that things "run smoothly "

But yes and it was reported to the carriage office. I can give you the name of the Guard that dealt with it (ie told the taxi driver off/slap on wrist

So the driver in question got a talking to ,what more do you want ?
    Couldn't see his ID as it was dark. Was not sure if reg would be enough so wanted his number.

Whilst his attitude to you did leave a lot to be desired ,you putting your hand on his car also left a lot to be desired.it could be argued.

I could give you many more incidents like when I was in Killiney and wanted to goto Glenageary but the driver refused us saying he wanted to go back to the city .?

I presumed you reported him and the driver who did 360 spin ?
    It isn't. It raises awareness and lets others know what to look out for an what their rights are.

Well it is actually ,as I said it is totally pointless ranting and raving about this taxi driver and that taxi driver if you are not willing to report him/her to the relevant body
    The "taxi website forum" you keep alludeing to is not representative of the taxi business.How can it be ? There are 23000-24000 taxis in Ireland .So why you even look at it and get so animated about it ,is silly.

Just finished watching a programme called "too broke to retire" on RTE.Featured a lot of different people,including a of taxi man.I think the guy was in a bad situation to be fair but I feel he fell into the trap of over exaggerating how bad things were and therefore lost all credibility.He says he works a 12 hour day but his average takings were 200 euros a WEEK.Pull the other one mate!It gave a good insight into the workings of "the Kesh" .The guy in the clip was nearly 3 hours waiting but there was no mention of the fare amount.General view of the programme was that there are loads of people in the country who are ****£d,most through no fault of their own:(

I didn't tar all taxi drivers with the same brush and if you think making a generalisation about 12,000 or so Irish taxi drivers in the same as making generalisations about half a billion Africans from many diverse etnicities and cultures, then you need some perspective. I do note that you posted on the thread in question and were actually defended by the rat catcher guy. Friend of yours? I also note in fairness to yourself that you did not post after that comment was made.

No idea what a greencap is. But yes and it was reported to the carriage office. I can give you the name of the Guard that dealt with it (ie told the taxi driver off/slap on wrist)

I could give you many more incidents like when I was in Killiney and wanted to goto Glenageary but the driver refused us saying he wanted to go back to city centre or when the taxi driver during an icey spell decided to impress the young lads (me and my friends many years ago) by skidding his car into a 360 on a main road or when the taxi driver decided that the price he quoted when I got in wasn't enough and left me stranded in Leixlip on my way to Maynooth etc etc. I am not here to give my life story and mostly people here take what is said at face value without having to go into all the details.

I didn't tar all taxi drivers with the same brush and if you think making a generalisation about 12,000 or so Irish taxi drivers in the same as making generalisations about half a billion Africans from many diverse etnicities and cultures, then you need some perspective.

There's not half a billion Africans in Ireland you know where and what I'm alluding to, you have 12000+ taxi drivers that you are prepared to tar with the same brush based on your limited interaction with some taxi drivers, if you were to treat the Africans in Ireland with the same disdain you show towards ALL taxi drivers you would be classed as a racist.
    I do note that you posted on the thread in question and were actually defended by the rat catcher guy. Friend of yours? I also note in fairness to yourself that you did not post after that comment was made.

The relevance of this is lost on me, I post on boards people (sometimes) thank and defend my posts, am I friends with them?

Good for you, at least you were man enough that time to report it, however all you should have needed was his plate number as even if it was a rented vehicle then the owner should have been able to ID the driver at the time, however, the Greencaps are the guys EMPLOYED by DAA to ensure the smooth running of the rank and your first port of call in the event of a dispute

So flesh then out a bit, considering you say that you don't give your custom anymore, how long ago are we talking, somewhere around pre deregulation I'd say if Leixlip/Mynooth was a negotiated fare. You wanna hear how many times Young Lads try to egg me on into doing handbrakers etc., you sure you didn't egg him on even just a bit? Not that it really excuses him, because I don't allow them to actually egg me on but then I'm a more mature sensible kind of driver. Must admit though you do seen to have had more than your fair share of numbskulls, wonder why that is? it's certainly not because ALL 12000+ taxi drivers are picking on you

I take nothing at face value that's typed by a keyboard warrior unless it can be backed up by a link to some factual news reports/legislation link/official website etc.

It gave a good insight into the workings of "the Kesh". The guy in the clip was nearly 3 hours waiting but there was no mention of the fare amount.

Most fares from the Airport will be very high so wait 3 hours for a hundred euro fare than get back into the city centre for the pubs tipping out and the nightclubs after that........there is lots to be made but like with the poor auld farmers the general public will never be told how much a taxi driver makes!

The main topic of the thread concerns the issue of some taxi driver's having a problem with a short fare from the airport. I was, very obviously, responding to that aspect of the thread.

Do me a favour Spook_ie, do not attempt to twist what I'm saying. I didn't say he was aggressive (as it happens he was extremely hostile, there is a difference) I said that I had the same problem with a driver at the airport having a problem with the location to which I wanted to go.

Your question is ridiculous. I have said what happened and I have explained the driver's attitude towards me and my partner which was based solely on us wanting to go what he deemed to be too short a distance.

Your question is simply an attempt to paint the driver as innocent (afterall he didn't shout or swear) and me as overreactionary. Well I'm not biting, thanks all the same.

No I'm sure that to some degree he was hostile but y'see there I read it again
    As it happens he was extremely hostile
    again I'm just trying to put it into a context. I'm bloody sure I wouldn't be taking an "extremely hostile" attitude by even letting him past the airport exit, but you fudge as much as you like, it matters not to me as I don't actually work the airport, however I do have a genuine concern for how people view taxi drivers in general

Most fares from the Airport will be very high so wait 3 hours for a hundred euro fare than get back into the city centre for the pubs tipping out and the nightclubs after that........there is lots to be made but like with the poor auld farmers the general public will never be told how much a taxi driver makes!

Oh come on, on a plane of say 340 people just how many do you think are going to be going a hundred euros fare? Fact the majority of business travelers would be going to Dublin about €40 if they were going south side. If a plane was diverted then maybe you'd get a rash of longer jobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Less of the personal abuse please.

And by the way George, whats the story with sending me pm messages to my email?Am I supposed to feel intimidated or something?
    Please use the "Report Private Message" button. Do not bring private disputes into threads.

Thats what I would have thought Foggy Lad. I just didn't think working a full week in a taxi and taking 200 euros was in any way believable.

Thats what I would have thought Foggy Lad. I just didn't think working a full week in a taxi and taking 200 euros was in any way believable.

sure you'd be better off on the dole and wouldn't have to worry about keeping a car on the road. You'd even get fuel allowance after 15 months.

• Advertisement

You work the airport Foggy do you ?
    How do you work out that "most of the fares will be very high " then ??.
    Your comments regarding taxis and the taxi business are always complete nonsense.
    You think you know it all about the taxi business but alas you havent a clue .

You work the airport Foggy do you ?
    How do you work out that "most of the fares will be very high " then ??.
    Your comments regarding taxis and the taxi business are always complete nonsense.
    You think you know it all about the taxi business but alas you havent a clue .

What is the average fare Oisin? Not fair to slag off Foggy unless you are going to correct what he says.O, and before you say there is no such thing as an average,divide your total takings for a week by the number of fares and hey presto!

What is the average fare Oisin? Not fair to slag off Foggy unless you are going to correct what he says.O, and before you say there is no such thing as an average,divide your total takings for a week by the number of fares and hey presto!

Absolutely NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS

You wouldn't actually be able to do that unless you worked solely up the airport.

Be like me saying all the fare in Swords are such n such, but that would mean not stopping for a hand in Malahide etc.

Absolutely NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS

That's not going to ensure clarity to the issue but also people saying that €100 fares are the norm isn't either

Actually if €100 fares were the norm then logically people wouldn't be complaining about getting short fares, go figure

You wouldn't actually be able to do that unless you worked solely up the airport.

Be like me saying all the fare in Swords are such n such, but that would mean not stopping for a hand in Malahide etc.
    Count the fares from all your airport runs than divide by the number of airport runs will give an average.

Count the fares from all your airport runs than divide by the number of airport runs will give an average.

So what days do you work the airport foggy ?

That's not going to ensure clarity to the issue but also people saying that €100 fares are the norm isn't either

Actually if €100 fares were the norm then logically people wouldn't be complaining about getting short fares, go figure

Sure nothing is clarity ,just look at the Op post and see how mad this whole thread has gone ,its waaaay off topic !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Strumms wrote: »
    the 'sunshine' bit was just me being a little smart back to him
    Wasn't a comment on his sunny disposition then?

:D

• Advertisement

Well the guy on the TV said he ONLY worked the Airport to save juice and avoid dangerous punters(fair enough).If you do 15 Airport jobs a week and make 300 quid ,the average is 20 quid etc.The reason I asked was we had Oisin say Foggy was completely wrong with his figures,yet he failed to offer his opinion of the average fare.

Advertisement