Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insured driver getting stopped no tax

• 25-01-2020 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

As the insurer of a motar viechle with a named driver under it, do I have a right to know all details of when the person was stopped with no tax, no license on them. I forget to tax it for some weeks and the driver was stopped however they said the guard who stopped them didn't do tgem for no tax. They where stopped a few times in that year but they can't remember where and when and what the outcome was because theyve been so busy that year.

As the insurer of the car, I would like to know all details of the stops incase it effets my renewal insurance costs when renewing soon but do I have a legal right to know or do I just have to go on face value with what I'm being told.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Surely to God you have a reasonably good relationship with someone insured to drive your vehicle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭mikeecho

It's actually the registered owner obligation to know who was driving the car at any given time.

It's not up to the Gardai /RSA etc to inform the owner.

It 8s however the obligation of the registered owner to inform the Gardai

It's a one way street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

Truckermal wrote: »
    Surely to God you have a reasonably good relationship with someone insured to drive your vehicle?

Of course, but people do lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

mikeecho wrote: »
    It's actually the registered owner obligation to know who was driving the car at any given time.

It's a one way street

Who was driving is not in question. What I want to know, if the driver was stopped and no tax was on the car, do I have a legal right to ask for these details if I was to look for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

This will not affect your insurance renewal if that's what you are asking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,430 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have a look at the paper motor tax disc on the car which shows when the tax is valid for, when driving on the road without it being valid there's a risk of being fined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Does it matter? The car was untaxed, unless it was subject to SORN then surely the owner of the vehicle is responsible?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would suggest taking the keys off someone you can't trust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Does it matter? The car was untaxed, unless it was subject to SORN then surely the owner of the vehicle is responsible?

Since when do we use SORN in Ireland?

aaakev wrote: »
    Since when do we use SORN in Ireland?

Since to prevent being liable for motortax you fill out a form and declare the vehicle as being off road.

Pedants do as pedants do

Statutory Off Road Notification ( SORN ) or Non-Use of Motor Vehicles Act 2013 Declaration ( NUMVA(2013)D )

you decide which is easier to type!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

To be honest I tried looking up appropriate legislations good few times, and never came across such requirement.

I honestly don't believe that knowing who was driving my car at what time/date is my legal obligation.

Obviously I'm open to being proven wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

kingbhome wrote: »
    Who was driving is not in question. What I want to know, if the driver was stopped and no tax was on the car, do I have a legal right to ask for these details if I was to look for them.

Owner and user are equally liable. If you own an untaxed car and someone else driving it is prosecuted for having no tax, you as owner would be prosecuted too.

CiniO wrote: »
    To be honest I tried looking up appropriate legislations good few times, and never came across such requirement.

I honestly don't believe that knowing who was driving my car at what time/date is my legal obligation.

I've no intention of looking it up at this time of night, but , if you ever receive an FCPN , it'll state that you (the registered owner) are obliged to name who was in charge of the vehicle at the time of the offence.

If the car is caught speeding the summons/FCPN is sent to the registered owner, it's up to them to notify who was driving at the time or take it the penalties them selves

Just as a curiosity about this, are we talking about a taxi seeing as you don't seem to know the driver personally?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/24/section/107/enacted/en/html

Road Traffic Act, 1961

107.—(1) Where a member of the Garda Síochána alleges to a person using a mechanically propelled vehicle that the member suspects that such person has committed a specified offence under this Act, the member may demand of such person his name and address and may, if such person refuses or fails to give his name and address or gives a name or address which the member has reasonable grounds for believing to be false or misleading, arrest such person without warrant.

(2) Where a member of the Garda Síochána has reasonable grounds for believing that an offence under this Act has been committed and that the vehicle in relation to which the offence was committed does not carry its identification mark under the Roads Act, 1920 , or any other enactment, the member may arrest without warrant the person whom he has reasonable grounds for believing was using the vehicle when the offence was so believed to have been committed.

(3) Where a person, when his name and address is demanded of him under this section, refuses or fails to give his name and address or gives a name or address which is false or misleading, such person shall be guilty of an offence.

(4) Where a member of the Garda Síochána has reasonable grounds for believing that there has been an offence under this Act involving the use of a mechanically propelled vehicle—

(a) the owner of the vehicle shall, if required by the member state whether he was or was not actually using the vehicle at the material time and, if he fails to do so, shall be guilty of an offence,

(b) if the owner of the vehicle states that he was not actually using it at the material time, he shall give such information as he may be required by the member to give as to the identity of the person who was actually using it at that time and, if he fails to do so, shall be guilty of an offence unless he shows to the satisfaction of the court that he did not know and could not with reasonable diligence have ascertained who that person was,

Basically.. the owner is responsible for any ticket / offence unless he can prove to a judge that he was not in charge of the vehicle, or that it is not possible for him to know who was in charge of the vehicle at the time (ie. The vehicle was stolen at the time) , because either the driver had your permission to drive the vehicle or not .

If the driver had your permission, you have to state who it was, if you don't know who was driving it.. did that person have your permission . If not it was a stolen car.

kingbhome wrote: »
    Who was driving is not in question. What I want to know, if the driver was stopped and no tax was on the car, do I have a legal right to ask for these details if I was to look for them

No you don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I remember getting pulled for no tax in a company van , (I hadn't even realised the tax was out ),
    Fine came to me , garda told me it was my responsibility as driver to ensure the van was taxed ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    I remember getting pulled for no tax in a company van , (I hadn't even realised the tax was out ),
    Fine came to me , garda told me it was my responsibility as driver to ensure the van was taxed ...

Thats correct.

The driver is responsible for the vehicle.

If the tyres were bald you'd also be responsible.
    That's why employers state that you need to do a vehicle safety check .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Markcheese wrote: »

Same with me as a db driver.

All buses are taxed but sometimes disc is missing or never fitted.

Technical of course and we would be fined but job will pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kevinc565

It's a one way street

Clearly that's not the case as if someone stole your car you would be in breach of the law.

What the law says is that you can only give permission for someone to use the car if you believe they can lawfully do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Twoc

kevinc565 wrote: »
    Clearly that's not the case as if someone stole your car you would be in breach of the law.

What the law says is that you can only give permission for someone to use the car if you believe they can lawfully do so.

Please take the time to read my subsequent post

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kevinc565

Please take the time to read my subsequent post

I’ve already read it. I read the posts in chronological order.

Advertisement