Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red light jumping

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

What's your thoughts on the Amber light if your going a speed not safe enough to stop? Red lights are changed to green too fast I think also with traffic lights, there's no margain for error if someone mashes a mistake and doesn't or can't stop in time.

Amber means stop unless it is not safe to do so. A lot of Irish drivers think it means "speed up as you approach to catch the lights and sure we might as well sneak through on the red aswell, just tailgate the car in front". What's ironic is there is an entire thread somewhere of people giving out about drivers who are too slow to take off at lights (slow apparently being defined as more than 1 second or something) yet if we were all waiting to take off in a hurry the second the light goes green, chances are we'd collide with the inevitable 2 or 3 cars that have flown through from the other side. You see it all the time while waiting for the green man too. There will always be 1 or 2 flying through the pedestrian crossing after the green man shows up, even though there is a generous amount of time between one going red and the other going green (this I suspect, is actually part of the problem i.e. drivers know this)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭lorcand1990

cdaly_ wrote: »

Would you not be stopping 'cos that's what you are required to do by law?

Yes, probably just my phrasing that confused you. By 'preparing to stop' I mean slowing down to a stop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

This sounds like an excuse.
    If you are approaching a light that has been green for a while, you should be expecting it to turn to amber soon. Therefore you should be driving at a speed which will allow you to safely stop.
    If you are travelling at a speed 'not safe to stop' when the light turns amber, it seems like you have deliberately accelerated to 'catch the green'.

I stop for amber lights. I've never had a rear-end crash or 'whiplash' in such circumstances.
    Also, you do not 'cause a crash' by stopping. The driver behind you who fails to stop 'causes the crash' by not driving at a speed where they can safely stop in the distance they can see to be clear.
    Incidentally, 'whiplash' doesn't seem to exist as a medical condition in jurisdictions where there is no insurance payout to be had...

• If you are approaching a light that has been green for a while, you should be expecting it to turn to amber soon

Would you not be stopping 'cos that's what you are required to do by law?

• If you are approaching a light that has been green for a while, you should be expecting it to turn to amber soon

Agreed.
    Yea it is an excuse, that's why I said I'd share my experiences to see do ppl do similar plus that link was from the NY Times not relevant to Ireland. I think alot of ppl speed up for the green light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I think alot of ppl speed up for the green light.

Some speed up for red and amber too.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

I suspect it could also have a lot to do with the chronic traffic congestion in Dublin. I mean... sometimes you’re sitting there for 6+ traffic light changes and still aren’t getting through. Having waited that long, you would go through an amber light because that slow Yaris in front of you took five years to gain momentum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

that link was from the NY Times not relevant to Ireland.
    The link from the NY Times shows how 'whiplash' does not exist in a country (Lithuania) where there is no financial compensation to be had and demonstrates that 'whiplash' is a financial condition, not a medical one. This is certainly relevant to Ireland as it contributes to your high motor insurance premium...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Tomrota wrote: »
    I suspect it could also have a lot to do with the chronic traffic congestion in Dublin. I mean... sometimes you’re sitting there for 6+ traffic light changes and still aren’t getting through. Having waited that long, you would go through an amber light because that slow Yaris in front of you took five years to gain momentum.

You do know that red light running contributes to congestion rather than easing it? Every traffic light in Dublin now has dead time between phases to account for red light running. Therefore there is less time with a green light for the Yaris to get going.

There's chronic traffic congestion in various cities around the UK. There isn't chronic red light jumping there though as you get caught and fined. It's pure selfishness here, no question, no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Stark

that link was from the NY Times not relevant to Ireland.

The link from the NY Times shows how 'whiplash' does not exist in a country (Lithuania) where there is no financial compensation to be had and demonstrates that 'whiplash' is a financial condition, not a medical one. This is certainly relevant to Ireland as it contributes to your high motor insurance premium...

This came up in the Irish media a while back as well

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/neurosurgeons-report-finds-90-of-whiplash-patients-stop-treatment-after-legal-action-ends-955410.html

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Coming to work this morning, I was turning right at a junction and as the lights turned green for me and I went to execute the turn, there were 3 yes 3 cars coming towards me from the opposite side, who had presumably all hopped a red light. Two of them shot past me and only the third had the decency to stop. Such was the delay that only my car and the one behind got through before the lights changed again. Morons of the highest order. You see head on collisions and wonder how the hell they happened. That is how.

There is a black spot down near Smithfield where the Luas is constantly being smashed into by cars who have run the red and crossed the tracks. People are idiots and financial penalties are the only way to curb their idiotic behaviour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Tomrota wrote: »
    I suspect it could also have a lot to do with the chronic traffic congestion in Dublin. I mean... sometimes you’re sitting there for 6+ traffic light changes and still aren’t getting through.
    it's nothing to do with this. i left the house at 6:30am and traffic was lighter than usual, even for that time - and at the majority of junctions where there was an opportunity for a car to run a red, they did so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement