Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second home mortgage

Options
  • 11-10-2019 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hey just looking for some advice or the way forward,so I'm thinking of looking into buying a renovation project as second house (Should I say it's a buy to let or second home mortgage)we currently have a mortgage left of 80k or about 10 years ,would like to borrow maybe about another 80/90k.im a self employed carpenter and wife works in public sector and we have one child, I'm 36 and wife 31. We wouldn't have that much savings 6/7 k we spent a lot of money around the house this year but should b fit to save good bit more from now on. My question is what would be my steps forward, look to get top up on existing mortgage/get loan through my business or someway else ? Any one have any advice . thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭briaineo

I’d be thinking the handiest way to get the money would be to remortgage your existing property.

But there maybe some avoidable ramifications both for tax reasons and if things went sour by doing it a different way:

If you were to keep the mortgages separate you may need a 20% deposit as opposed to 10% like you currently have in savings.... very interested in the replies you get as may also do something similar down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 38 james 17

Forgot to mention the mortgage is in wifes name only(wernt married and I was unemployed at the time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

very hard to get a mortgage on a fixer upper.

So when you remortgage your house is the money just to be used for say extension or fixing up your existing house ,or can money be used elsewere ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

very hard to get a mortgage on a fixer upper.

Brother in law got one the other day, wasn't too much trouble. He just had to list off what work needed to be done. He's a plumber by trade so will be doing the bulk of the work himself and was able to accuratly cost out the works. Bank where happy with that. Other than that the process was no different from a normal mortgage...

Although I'm sure the deffenition of a fixer upper is fairly broad... This house had a roof n walls n you could technically live in it. If it's a derilict building missing half a roof and a tree growing out of it im sure it's a different story.

• Advertisement

unklerosco wrote: »
    Brother in law got one the other day, wasn't too much trouble. He just had to list off what work needed to be done. He's a plumber by trade so will be doing the bulk of the work himself and was able to accuratly cost out the works. Bank where happy with that. Other than that the process was no different from a normal mortgage...

Although I'm sure the deffenition of a fixer upper is fairly broad... This house had a roof n walls n you could technically live in it. If it's a derilict building missing half a roof and a tree growing out of it im sure it's a different story.

Do you know did he go remortgage route or seperate mortgage ?

james 17 wrote: »
    Do you know did he go remortgage route or seperate mortgage ?

New mortgage

Just hard to know what way to go about it to bank,new mortgage,remortgage or a business loan....does anyone know whether you can go to bank and ask them which way to go about it or should I get advice first from other source and then go to bank ?

A financial advisor, good mortgage broker should be able to help you there.

So got talking to bank yesterday and he emailed back today , saying they could release 75% (of house to buy and price to complete works) and that we would have put up 25% .it would take a lot of saving to get to that so will have to see if there any other options or forget about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement