Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

War of the Worlds (BBC)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

During the first episode was waiting to find out what the big secret was about the 2 of them, and then you find out it was that
    he'd left his wife for her and the wife won't sign the divorce papers
    . Which would have likely been a big thing back then but it's not an issue now that it make the whole thing ridiculous. They tried to modernise some thing and were blatant about it and then for this they did the opposite and it's still ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,560 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Varik wrote: »
    During the first episode was waiting to find out what the big secret was about the 2 of them, and then you find out it was that
    he'd left his wife for her and the wife won't sign the divorce papers

It was probably an effort to comment on the mores of the time. But it's handled so clumsily, it just comes across as somebody projecting modern principles upon characters from 100 years ago, which never works...ever.

In the end, it's just absolutely unnecessary. In the book, the narrator is married and has a brother, both of which he expresses concern for. Adding in
    a failed marriage and a - for the time - illicit affair
    serves no real purpose from teh point of view of the story.

There needs to be more people involved in these productions that just says "no, that's a bad idea", especially where adaptations of classic, well loved works are concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I don't think I can recall a tv show where the second episode takes such a dip in quality as this. It's so boring and dull and did anyone else get the feeling the showrunners used up 90% of the budget on episode one, as the second feels like it was shot on a shoestring budget.

Is there another episode to come or have we got them all as I saw a few posts online about the Aussie network dropping the show in 2 90 minute parts instead of 3 hour-long episodes?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

One episode left as far as I'm aware V.

I'd echo the earlier idea that the buyers of this mess had hoped to run it in a more high profile slot, like christmas. It feels like a big budget Christmas series kind of thing. Then they must have watched it and realised what a mess it was and downgraded it fast and rushed it out before the other War of the Worlds TV series with Gabriel Byrne set in the present day, hoping that the first version of a song you hear tends to be the more memorable. I suspect that unless the Gabriel Byrne version is an unalloyed howler it'll be the better TV series and story.

It looks good enough, the CGI is workmanlike(though the martians looked clunky and more like Dr Who circa 2007 CGI), the actors are good and the lead actress is both good and not exactly hard to look at. The concept and script are truly dire though. The pacing which comes out of that is all over the place. As Thargor notes the second ep could have easily been cut down to 40 minutes and 20 minutes would have worked too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Yeah. second episode not great. Yer man George is such a dweeb as well. The first episode kept my normally hyperactive eight year old transfixed for 90 minutes (a feat in itself), but he broke out the Beano pretty soon into episode two...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,401 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Any word on when this is actually getting screened on BBC? (I assume everyone is downloading it at the mo?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Only watched the first episode still, so to decide if I'll bother with more does
    Robert Carlyle
    show up again after the first episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Varik wrote: »
    does
    Robert Carlyle
    show up again after the first episode.

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Any word on when this is actually getting screened on BBC? (I assume everyone is downloading it at the mo?)

IIRC its filling the 9pm slot on a Sunday when world on fire finishes.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,677 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Dear god that was a dreadful episode and I was happy with the first episode, as pointed out cheap Sci-Fi channel CGI and a meandering story going nowhere. Also said earlier be interesting to see where the flash forwards went - apparently went nowhere, totally pointless
    Not what I expected at all, I hope the other show is better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Melodeon

The Canal+ version (War of the Worlds - no 'The' at the beginning), appears to be making its way into the wild now.
    I'm seeing episodes 6, 7, and 8 at the moment.

edited to add:
    Hmmm... hold off on grabbing this unless your French is up to it.
    It's in French and English as is to be expected with the range of actors and production companies involved, but the 'English Language' audio track option doesn't appear to make any difference to the languages used.
    French subtitles only too.

edit 2:
    Actually, the 'English language' option track DOES work, in that it plays the English speaking actors in English, but all the French speakers are still in French too.
    The 'French language' option renders everyone into French :D

Ohhh I thought there was another episode - not, this was a totally pointless mini-series that started ok and went absolutely no where. Who green lit this???

• Registered Users Posts: 31 squonkie

fritzelly wrote: »
    Ohhh I thought there was another episode - not, this was a totally pointless mini-series that started ok and went absolutely no where. Who green lit this???

Im fairly sure there is another one ok. Just does not seem to have been uploaded anywhere.

squonkie wrote: »
    Im fairly sure there is another one ok. Just does not seem to have been uploaded anywhere.

Three episodes but they combined them into 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wait what? There was only 2 episodes of the BBC version?

• Advertisement

Really?? Wow that ending is just crap!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Melodeon

DOH!
    I too am just copping this now :rolleyes:

It appears that the series was originally produced as 3 x 1 hour episodes, but it was repackaged into 2 x 1.5 hour episodes for broadcast recently in New Zealand.
    These were the 2 episodes I (and many others) viewed.

I will NOT be seeking out the 3 x 1 hour episodes to compare and contrast!

Melodeon wrote: »
    DOH!
    I too am just copping this now :rolleyes:

It appears that the series was originally produced as 3 x 1 hour episodes, but it was repackaged into 2 x 1.5 hour episodes for broadcast recently in New Zealand.
    These were the 2 episodes I (and many others) viewed.

I will NOT be seeking out the 3 x 1 hour episodes to compare and contrast!

Of course!! I will echo your DOH!!

squonkie wrote: »
    Really?? Wow that ending is just crap!!!

An ending so boring and dull you completely miss the show is finished :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wow pretty pathetic ending if thats all there is, what was the point of even flashing forward to the future like that? What a pointless project. It had so much potential aswell, the British destroyers in the channel firing on the tripods on the shore was a very powerful scene, the rest was mush though. What was the point in bringing Robert Carlyle in for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Having watched the 2 episodes I get the impression this was a production that had its funding cut half way through or suchlike and had to wrap things up quicker than originally intended. I really got the impression a grander production was planned but was never given the full funding.
    A real shame as there were moments where you could see someones grander vision shining through.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,568 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mickeroo wrote: »

Sunday November 17th at 9pm on BBC 1

The first two episodes of the Canal+ current day version of War of the Worlds, has turned up in the usual online places. Now about a third of it is in French with the rest being in English but its easy to grasp what's going on in the French bits and while it suffers a tad from people doing stupid crap for the sake of it, overall it's a much better and far more interesting show than the BBC version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Saw this on the BBC last night and thought it was pretty meh. I liked Eleanor Tomlinson, but didn't care for anyone else. Thought the aliens could have been a lot more menacing too. The Tom Cruise film version did the introduction bit more effectively and not just because it had a much bigger budget. Later on, the chap standing there in open space for seemingly an eternity, and screaming at the woman to leave him, and then not being zapped just made me conclude the main characters weren't in real peril.

I think it also could have done with the introduction of some child characters like the film had to give the audience some characters to invest in. I'm afraid I wasn't gripped about the dog and the maid's sister being in jeopardy. Not sure if they revealed if the dog even made it?

All felt very Doctor Who-like, and as someone who's not a Doctor Who fan that that might explain why it didn't connect with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Part Two just about to end

It's really poor

An incredible science fiction classic has been reduced to a virtual love story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The coastal scene was well done, but the lack of money shows through time and again, plus yes a soap opera level personal drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It's not great tbh. But it's not terrible either.

All I wanted was a nice retelling of the classic novel. Do not see the need for the future/past thing. I dont mind the love story, part of the original book was the main author trying to find his partner in the midst of the Martian extermination of man.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

It's not great tbh. But it's not terrible either.

All I wanted was a nice retelling of the classic novel. Do not see the need for the future/past thing. I dont mind the love story, part of the original book was the main author trying to find his partner in the midst of the Martian extermination of man.

The flash forwards bits seem odd to me too. First, it eliminates any suspense as to who does or doesn't survive the war in the present. And second, it seems unlikely they'll wrap up the future problems in just one more episode. Maybe if they were starting a long-form continuing series and needed to expand the story, but why pad out the original tale with so much superfluous story with just 3 episodes to play around with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Very drippy, hippie ending.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Missed opportunity all around. Very good cast, good production design, well shot, all the elements were there, let down by a bloody awful storyline. Someone, somewhere during script development should have asked WTF? and loudly.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Just binge watched the French War of the Worlds - enjoyable enough and intriguing ending but it's not War of the Worlds according to the book.
    Probably a bad idea to stick that title on it as is it would only ever draw comparisons

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

fritzelly wrote: »
    Just binge watched the French War of the Worlds - enjoyable enough and intriguing ending but it's not War of the Worlds according to the book.
    Probably a bad idea to stick that title on it as is it would only ever draw comparisons

Better than the BBC one though I take it?

Better than the BBC one though I take it?

Different story - only similarity is the title, and just pretend its not called WOTW
    If you like euro shows then you will probably like it - there's tension (good sound/music I thought), more drama than sci-fi and some irritating aspects
    Second season has started production

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭Homelander

Just got around to watching this. I'd heard it was bad, but this was beyond abysmal. First episode was sorta OK, but rather than improve it took a major nose dive beyond words....I struggled badly with the second and third episode, they were perfectly awful.

Overall a complete waste of time. Struggle to understand how these things are made so badly. The BBC did the thing to Dracula recently.....destroyed a perfectly good classic story.

Advertisement