Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW e-Golf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Pablo-El-Vagabu

That doesn't sound right?! Sounds like something mechanically wrong with the car.

There is D mode while driving and B Mode, which is the regen braking (where it tops up the battery from the energy created under braking).

When pressing the foot brake pedal in both cases, there should be no large noises whatsoever.

Really? We could defiantly hear the break system engage right as it fully stopped. Because the car is so quiet it probably brought attention to it, but it was a metallic clank of something engaging and the car would stop hard then. We thought it was us being not used to the breaks being hard on them. The stop was very sudden though.

Dealer didnt seem a chancer, took it for a spin himself around a car park and said he'd never really noticed it before but it was a normal type of sound for most cars, mentioning that the electrics were quieter and you'd hear the sound more. He said he was used to the brakes and could being it to a gentle stop, but me and the wife couldnt when we'd brought it on the test drive, it was fine gentle slow down until right at the end when we'd press the brake in all the way to come to a full stop - maybe you're not suppose to with these type of cars - to be honest there was a lot about driving it that was different from my very manual old Hyundai.

EDIT: We only tried D and R, and the sudden stop happened for both of us on both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I’d genuinely say that’s you being over sensitive due to lack of other noises: the brakes in the electric cars are weird anyway (in comparison)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Is it a parking brake auto-engaging?

That would happen just as the car comes to a stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Really? We could defiantly hear the break system engage right as it fully stopped. Because the car is so quiet it probably brought attention to it, but it was a metallic clank of something engaging and the car would stop hard then. We thought it was us being not used to the breaks being hard on them. The stop was very sudden though.

Dealer didnt seem a chancer, took it for a spin himself around a car park and said he'd never really noticed it before but it was a normal type of sound for most cars, mentioning that the electrics were quieter and you'd hear the sound more. He said he was used to the brakes and could being it to a gentle stop, but me and the wife couldnt when we'd brought it on the test drive, it was fine gentle slow down until right at the end when we'd press the brake in all the way to come to a full stop - maybe you're not suppose to with these type of cars - to be honest there was a lot about driving it that was different from my very manual old Hyundai.

EDIT: We only tried D and R, and the sudden stop happened for both of us on both.

My eGolf is a year old and I can confirm none of the noises you describe have ever occurred in my car since day 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Still doesn't sound good to me. Your best bet would be to test drive another eGolf. For the sake of comparison go to a VW dealer and ask for a test drive. You don't have to buy the car from them, but it will give you a good idea if the one that you are actually interested in is mechanically sound.

L-M wrote: »
    I’d genuinely say that’s you being over sensitive due to lack of other noises: the brakes in the electric cars are weird anyway (in comparison)

Very possible.
    KCross wrote: »
    Is it a parking brake auto-engaging?

That would happen just as the car comes to a stop.

It could be this. It was audible like a robotic sound and it happened right after the dead stop. I did see the parking brake flap and auto-hold, I dont think the auto hold was on all the time though, but cant be sure.
    My eGolf is a year old and I can confirm none of the noises you describe have ever occurred in my car since day 1
    Still doesn't sound good to me. Your best bet would be to test drive another eGolf. For the sake of comparison go to a VW dealer and ask for a test drive. You don't have to buy the car from them, but it will give you a good idea if the one that you are actually interested in is mechanically sound.

Concerning. Yeah I think we'll need to test drive another eGolf just to be sure. We're going to try a Leaf and Ioniq as well before we fully decide.

Thanks for all the feedback. There were a few other niggly issues with the interior - my wife is very sensitive to blue light - like the LEDs - and the dash and interior chrome finishes were causing her a few issues. It's funny the stuff you think is important isn't once you get into the car. She'd probably prefew one with the analogue speed/battery display.

EDIT:

This might be the issue I was hearing, as suggested:

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/electronic-parking-brake-sound-is-it-normal.6022106/

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Philippe14

I have a less than a year old e-Golf. I don't find the normal breaking noisy at all, but the automatic handbrake can be. So if the sound is after the complete stop, that's probably it.

As for one of the other issues, there is almost certainly a night mode. I don't like much bright displays myself and I got all of it display on black background and mostly dark colours. No problem seeing everything in day light either. I can't point you to where you change that setting though. If you make an image search for "egolf dashboard display" you can see how it looks.

Philippe14 wrote: »
    I have a less than a year old e-Golf. I don't find the normal breaking noisy at all, but the automatic handbrake can be. So if the sound is after the complete stop, that's probably it.

As for one of the other issues, there is almost certainly a night mode. I don't like much bright displays myself and I got all of it display on black background and mostly dark colours. No problem seeing everything in day light either. I can't point you to where you change that setting though. If you make an image search for "egolf dashboard display" you can see how it looks.

Good to know. We may try it again.

Do you find it easy to come to a gentile stop with the breaks? We couldnt do it, felt like I'd get whiplash. We slow it down low smoothly, just the last bit when we'd fully depress the break would feel very sudden and uncomfortable, maybe that's the parking break coming in early.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I have one for over a year now and definitely no clunk when you press the breaks or come to a stop. Even my auto handbrake doesn't make that much noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Philippe14

Do you find it easy to come to a gentile stop with the breaks? We couldnt do it, felt like I'd get whiplash. We slow it down low smoothly, just the last bit when we'd fully depress the break would feel very sudden and uncomfortable, maybe that's the parking break coming in early.
    I find it very easy to do gentile stop. To be honest, learn to use the regenerative breaking will force you to anticipate a bit more on your breaking so that you hardly have to break at all.

Other than that, I have changed car a few times and there is always a few times to adapt to how much you have to push the break pedal. But that comes quickly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

Yes, we've had an eGolf for 10 months and we use the regenerative braking in D3 around the town. It is definitely a more relaxed style of driving as you anticipate how far ahead you need to stop or drop to a crawling speed and you use the regenerative braking to do most of the work. It also means there is very little wear on the brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

I’ve mine for 12 months also, and also no ‘clunk’. By all means try another one to compare, but doesn’t sound right to me.

I drive mostly in D mode to get the benefit of coasting when I can (the local terrain means this is the best method of driving for me - others drive in B mode the whole time because that suits them - I like to lift my foot off the accelerator at times and not slow down right away - B mode means that you will begin to brake gently right away - just a personal preference).

I generally shift from D to B to slow down the car, say coming to a stop at a traffic lights. 300 yards out, I will drop to B mode and by the time you get to the traffic lights you will be slow enough and just have a short press of the brake pedal to come to a complete stop.

Dropping from D to B is kinda similar to gearing down in a manual car. It slows you down without using the brake pedal as such (plus you get some nice regen and free juice in the battery) :)

This is one of the nice things that I love about the eGolf - it has a standard automatic gear shift stick that allows you to do this easily. Most other EVs have the gear selector as a round dial or small selector near the steering wheel. When it comes time to move on from the eGolf to the next generation of EV, I will definitely miss this.

I drive mostly in D mode to get the benefit of coasting when I can (the local terrain means this is the best method of driving for me - others drive in B mode the whole time because that suits them - I like to lift my foot off the accelerator at times and not slow down right away - B mode means that you will begin to brake gently right away - just a personal preference).

I generally shift from D to B to slow down the car, say coming to a stop at a traffic lights. 300 yards out, I will drop to B mode and by the time you get to the traffic lights you will be slow enough and just have a short press of the brake pedal to come to a complete stop.

Dropping from D to B is kinda similar to gearing down in a manual car. It slows you down without using the brake pedal as such (plus you get some nice regen and free juice in the battery) :)

This is one of the nice things that I love about the eGolf - it has a standard automatic gear shift stick that allows you to do this easily. Most other EVs have the gear selector as a round dial or small selector near the steering wheel. When it comes time to move on from the eGolf to the next generation of EV, I will definitely miss this.

Have you driven the ID.3? I find its much better programmed than shifting from D to B or messing with paddles to change regen levels from 0-3..... the ID.3 has dynamic regen, which is way way better in my view. Much more comfortable driving experience.

So, if you lift off the pedal and there is nothing in front of you and no bend up ahead the car will coast... which is exactly what you would want it to do. If you take your foot off the pedal but there is a car in front of you or a bend just up ahead it will engage variable amounts of regen to slow the car down appropriately.... not a set amount determined by a paddle or D/B mode... variable based on speed, distance etc..... its a slick implementation in my view.... not yet perfect but it gets it right most of the time in my experience.

Have you driven the ID.3? I find its much better programmed than shifting from D to B or messing with paddles to change regen levels from 0-3..... the ID.3 has dynamic regen, which is way way better in my view. Much more comfortable driving experience.

So, if you lift off the pedal and there is nothing in front of you and no bend up ahead the car will coast... which is exactly what you would want it to do. If you take your foot off the pedal but there is a car in front of you or a bend just up ahead it will engage variable amounts of regen to slow the car down appropriately.... not a set amount determined by a paddle or D/B mode... variable based on speed, distance etc..... its a slick implementation in my view.... not yet perfect but it gets it right most of the time in my experience.

No, haven't done a test drive yet. I think the ID.4 might be on the cards though, so looking forward to getting a spin in that.

I like the 'manual' shifting as I did enjoy driving the manual gearbox ICE cars, so it kinda replicates that to some extent, but it's good that VW have thought about this aspect with the dynamic option in the ID range. The ID.3 looks class I have to say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Anyone have experience with a failed charging flap actuator?

Dealer says I've to break it open so I can charge it to bring it down for a repair of actuator & charging lid, €€€

Dempsey wrote: »
    Anyone have experience with a failed charging flap actuator?

Dealer says I've to break it open so I can charge it to bring it down for a repair of actuator & charging lid, €€€

Is there no manual release?

Other EV's usually have a cable that you pull from inside the boot space somewhere to release the lid if the actuator is broken. e-Golf not have that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Is there no manual release?

Other EV's usually have a cable that you pull from inside the boot space somewhere to release the lid if the actuator is broken. e-Golf not have that?

It did on mk5's etc but not for mk7's. Its now a self contained unit inside the housing apparently

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Old thread, but appropriate. Seen a 212 egolf today. Or a gte I think it was badged.

Why? Didn't they stop selling those a year ago. I can only assume it was one someone ordered and it only came in on late 2021. Why though!?

• Advertisement

GTE badge would suggest it’s the PHEV, not the eGolf

Ah ok. Thanks. Was charging at Lidl. Obviously not shopping at Lidl though, easygo unit said it had taken 11kWh when I arrived. Guessing a 3kW onboard charger so there a long long time

13kWh battery and 3.6kW charger so yea, there a long time alright.

Serious money for what it is.... €46k OTR! 🤑

Ouch! Buyers remorse if that was me. €46k gives you a whole lot of options, and those don't involve 4 hours of Public charging to save €2.50 to drive 40-60km. Seems like they don't realise the value of their time or money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

How do you know he does not value his time or money? If I need to buy a car that requires me to drive slow or divert to a charger, which may work or maybe be in use, I would consider that a waste of time and money. I see a person who bought a car, can park it up and charge it and can possibly do 100km or more in a day without spending any money on petrol. Maybe they like golfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭PaulRyan97

I have a 211 GTE. The charging speed is annoying alright, I rarely use public chargers, if I do it's because they happen to be where I'm going anyway and I plug in while I'm there. I can get maybe 15-20km range while shopping for example, not great but it's more range than I used to get there so it's pretty decent.

• Advertisement

Because for 46k they could of got a 4-500km Bev. Most likely far more distance than they're doing in the phev in 1 go. For most, a 46k EV means they don't need to public charge.

They're spending their time driving to, walking from, walking to and driving to the free charger to save €2.50 and drive 50km for free. To me, that's a waste of time.

They won't get anything near 100km on the battery alone.

You don't buy a phev to drive 300km+ without stopping. The battery is a waste of money if that's your driving scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

if the charger is free then its 5 euro saving, sure they would get 100 km or more with 2 charges, most likely scenario with your friend beside you, was that he was working nearby and got a full 50-60 km charge for going home. A waste of time would be to go a charger at a shop and not shop.

I drove 200 km last Tuesday week then stopped at a hospital and then went home 200 km, without stopping or diverting or praying for a charger to be working. All other trips are covered by my waste of money battery, suits me, suits others as well. I would prefer to pay for the convenience/petrol expense of a phev rather on hoping, wishing, slip streaming BEV.

The only people that drive or walk to a charger are those who want to or those who have to. When people have made enough fun of phevs here its back to complaining about Ecars or 3 cars waiting at a charger, these things I see regularly but I could not be arse'd rubbing your noses in it, 30 minute wait or enough capacity to get you to the next charger lol.

I see an ID3 losing 8 % capacity, something I considered when I bought my first phev, that if battery capacity dropped I would still have enough to suit daily needs. Its still not a proven tech, first leafs are crap, Hyundai battery recall, Tesla owners praying there battery gives up b4 warranty runs out, I for one cannot recommend a BEV, a safer bet would be a phev and maybe if I liked it a golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dk1989

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a used e golf possibly 2019 or so. I'm starting a new job which is less than 10k away and also already have a diesel Tucson for long journeys. Does anyone recommend the e golf that's had it? Any issues regarding battery etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Similar position to yourself (short commute, no regular long runs down the country), picked up a low miles 2019 eGolf Executive Edition with 96.5% battery health, lovely car but knew what I was buying into as had a petrol Highline before that. Much prefer the more tactile Golf controls versus the likes of ID3 haptic. Very happy with my decision.

Don’t do regular long trips and you won’t be disappointed. For irregular long trips, be prepared to plan ahead (or take the diesel!).

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

I had an e-golf for a couple of years and loved it. 1 car family so traded into an ID3 for the extra range.

e-golf is a nicer car in every other way though; feels more quality, no software issues, more efficient despite not being designed as an ev from the drawing board. mine had the heat pump so in fact winter range isn't that far off the ID3 anyway, especially if you're doing short hops like your commute and heating the cabin each time.

in your scenario it's a perfect 2nd car. the only caveat is that you'll enjoy it so much that you'll end up wishing it had more range so that you can ditch the Tucson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Stumper931

I have a 2019 and it’s a grand commuter car even longer journeys aren’t to bad. Mine doesn’t have heat pump and it’s definitely an option I wish it had but my daily round trip is about 50km so still good for a few days between charges. I’ve had no issues with the car at all so if the range works for you go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,640 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Be careful if anyone is considering this bargain e-Golf. It’s 2017 registered but it would appear it’s the earlier small battery version based on a reg check with Cartell/Motorcheck.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/36683425

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭positron

Thanks for that, I was reading thru that ad earlier today thinking this is decent - but I see the seller is being a bit economical with the truth there (hasn't mentioned battery range).

I was about to post it in the “Bargain Alerts” until I realised it was the older version with the smaller battery pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,640 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

A later eGolf is like eUp just vastly better equipped, more comfortable, bigger boot and takes 5 passengers at a pinch. If the eUp is a fantastic city car, then eGolf is a better one.

While the eGolf not ideal for longer journeys. You still get 150-200km and 40kw DC charging. Which is enough for many people.

If your doing long journeys on a regular basis then an ID3 is makes more sense.

Any recommendations for a reasonably priced e-Golf service (192 - 30k km's) in the Dublin area?

Can’t recommend a specific dealer as I don’t live in Dublin but I’d suggest sticking with a VW Dealer as the fixed price EV service is relatively cheap. It obviously includes very little but I’d rather have a full VWSH in the event of needing to call on the HV battery warranty. Price list here;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭dingdangdoo22

were you able to verify 96.5% battery health with the garage or did you do it yourself? just wondered if there is a best way to check as garage prob tell me anything…

Garage got an independent guy in to assess the battery, gave me the fairly formal looking report. If I was spending much more on a car or I had to rely on the range then I probably would have arranged it myself to be certain but I only needed to know that it wasn't totally ragged.

• Advertisement

did you request that yourself or did they say they would do it for you? how has the car been since you got it in general? mind me asking what you paid for it?

Yeah, I requested it and they agreed to cover the cost, said a guy comes around every couple of weeks to them anyway.

Had an older regular Golf previously and after changing our other car a few months prior, just realised it was a very nice place to sit compared to some of the newer EV models but I really wanted to go electric asap. It was a 192 Executive Edition with 29k km so had all of the bells and whistles I wanted (except a heat pump! 😥). I only commute 15 kms a day, plus home place isn't down the country so not worried about long drives. Paid 18k back in Feb which is a little high but that was the market at the time, I got a crazy 10k selling my 2014 1.2 highline to trade so effectively 8k to jump up 5 years in age which is okay with me.

Cost to change is what matters. Heatpumps are very rare on these. Make sure to check your tyres are inflated correctly. An e-Golf is a lot heavier than a regular Golf 7.5 and most tyre fitters and garages seem ignorant to the correct tyre pressure.

What do you have the correct tyre pressure at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭lau1247

Usually there is a sticker on the car door frame or the body adjacent to the door.. have a check there.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

I can’t remember exactly as I no longer have an eGolf but I think it was close to 40psi. This was on an Exec version with 17” wheels. As others have advised, therw should be a sticker on the driver’s door pillar. If you still have the factory fitted Dunlop Sportmaxz tyres, these are prone to cracking. Some owners got them replaced under warranty.

Cheers for that, for any of ye that still have the egolf what home charger are ya using? is Zappi best if planning to go solar power?

have a Wallbox pulsarplus. Zappi not worth the extra cost anymore with feed-in tariff, I get paid more to export than overnight charging costs me. Wallbox have an optional power meter that can be added later and if the balance changes in future and I want to charge from excess solar.

any recommendations for tires? Need to replace a couple on my car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭fafy

Very good point this, the much lauded- solar enabled feature on home ev chargers, is largely redundant for those charging on very low night rates.

Why would one use your Solar PV to charge an EV, when you can charge at night as low as around 6 cent, and the export, can give you up to 25 cent, depending on supplier.

I only used it once on my EV charger, to see if the solar pv to EV worked,for a few minutes, have never used it since and i never will.

Advertisement