Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heavy Rain - Munster & Leinster - Thu 19 October

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

I was out about near Five Mile Bridge / road to Kinsale / west behind Airport about an hour ago. Trying to go to Carrigaline. All the roads to Carrigaline eg Forrest road were so badly flooded all cars had to turn back. I ended up going back through the city to go via the link and carrs hill to get to carrigaline. Lots of surface water. Havent seen it that bad in a long while.

Its still raining now but not as torrential. Hour ago, that was some amount of water ..

As an aside out around Five Mile Bridge / road to Belgooly, Kinsale, fair amount of ESB Crews and lines down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Escaped the worst so far in East Galway
    Nice drop but nothing major

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭pauldry

Parts of Cork have now exceeded 50mm of rain and there seems to be a final jet forming on the radar that could add another 10mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

7.8mm at Roche's Point in the last hour alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭pad199207

pauldry wrote: »
    Parts of Cork have now exceeded 50mm of rain and there seems to be a final jet forming on the radar that could add another 10mm

The weather gods must have something in for Cork lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,229 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Rain has stopped here in West Clare, 25.0mm total from event, max rate of 7.0mm/h at 15:19. Lots of surface water but no real flooding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

25.4mm near Roscrea and still raining

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Lots of roads closed due to flooding here in Cork...some photos on the corksafetyalerts page on facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

MJohnston wrote:
    Also, there will be heavy rain over the Dublin mountains, and I guess that would be enough to trigger a warning for the whole “countyâ€

I've been watching the rainfall radar today and it's almost as if there is largely an umbrella hole over the city for most of the day. Very odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

22 mm accumulation in the last 6 hours.

Heavy rainfall and flooding now widespread on local roads.

Large field pond is full and has overflowed - never seen it at that level before. Drains and shores now backing up as nowhere for water to flow.

Have just moved some livestock to higher ground.

Hope there is not too much more rainfall tbh as there will be widespread serious flooding in this area

East Limerick / Cork Border

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

23mm so far here north east of Kilkenny City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I've been watching the rainfall radar today and it's almost as if there is largely an umbrella hole over the city for most of the day. Very odd.
    Wet enough with dense fine rain in the SE of the county, but it does indeed look drier elsewhere. I've often thought I've seen a similar pattern on the radar before - wonder if it's at least partly a rain-shadow effect from the Dublin+Wicklow hills when the wind has a southerly component?

Been in the shadow of the Dublin/Wicklow Mountains all day. Only 1mm recorded

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Loads of roads closed in South Tipp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

pad199207 wrote: »
    The weather gods must have something in for Cork lately

They tried to stop Cork City winning the league with a hurricane.
    That didn't work.
    Now they're working petty vengeance with rain.
    The joke is on them: my socks are all dry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

22.8mm here near Tralee. Raining most of the day until it brightened up around 16.00,. Much windier now with a few passing showers.

Rain has now reached here and it’s bucketing down in Kildare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Danno wrote: »
    Just 3.1mm (AWS gauge - which can sometimes over-record a little) in South Laois as of 11am - it's been raining since around 7am.

Unless we see a few downpours gather and move in over us, we'll probably escape with around 10mm -> 15mm

Well, they surely have - unusual rainfall here in south Laois, heavy drizzle and normal rain together giving quite a drenching. This reminds me of the type of rain they get in southern England at times.

AWS now reporting 30.5mm

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

29mm so far here in north east Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Have 4.0mm now, most of that in the last hour when it was heavy at times. It's 12.7C now so not a great change in temperature over the day; the high was 14.3C, the low was 11.9C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Strong persistent rain in laois now the last hour,heavy flooding on local roads and hazardous driving conditions.Ive just wrecked my new shoes from penny's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Ive just wrecked my new shoes from penny's.

The suffering continues....

Drove through Cork city earlier, river very high and patches of flooding in locality. Centerpark Rd flooded. Ok for a jeep for now but wouldn't risk it with regular car.

The suffering continues....

Drove through Cork city earlier, river very high and patches of flooding in locality. Centerpark Rd flooded. Ok for a jeep for now but wouldn't risk it with regular car.

Is that the road where the trees came down one by one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Yeah that's the road. It's near Pairc Ui Caoimh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Yup that's the one. Not sure if they cleared them yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

A pretty non-descript event in Dublin. A bit of rain this evening, and not even that heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Friend of mine texted there from Mitchelstown. Said it's crazy out there with debris flying and wind nearly as bad as Monday. She's not one given to drama...doesn't seem to be in forecast tho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Windy enough in the south alright. 8pm reports. Cork Airport gusting 40 knots and Roaches point 43 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Windy enough in the south alright. 8pm reports. Cork Airport gusting 40 knots and Roaches point 43 knots

Probably lots of loose stuff from Monday too flying around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Trebor176 wrote: »
    A pretty non-descript event in Dublin. A bit of rain this evening, and not even that heavy.
    Dublin gets a notable event once every 100 years. Come down to Munster if ye want some proper weather :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Friend of mine texted there from Mitchelstown. Said it's crazy out there with debris flying and wind nearly as bad as Monday. She's not one given to drama...doesn't seem to be in forecast tho...

I'm the other side of Mitchelstown towards east Limerick and yes the wind is gusting atm. Rainfall has been very heavy all day. Not looking forward to tmrw / Saturday and storm Brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Burts Bee wrote:

Windy /inclement enough to knock out the electricity in Mountmellick again.
    Thankfully belly full and house warm. A lot of rain falling all day here.

EDIT Caused by a local man crashing into a pole. Thankfully in hospital but ok now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Rain bucketing down in Tullamore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Wet evening in meath, the field beside house is flooded, now its in on the driveway heading for the house, p*ss off rain

Brief burst of heavy rain herein Kildare, total 6mm now, getting much windier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Really strong gusts in Cork (WIlton area). Rain seems to have died off, just a slight mist every now and then but I am guessing it will be back again soon with Brian. The gusts seem strong enough to knock out power again, my lights flickered with the last few!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Very strong w/sw gusts alongside the waterofrdncoast over the past couple of hours. Wasn't expecting it to be so rough. Trees are being blown in the opposite direction as Ophelia.

Tomorrow night should be interesting!

The rain total here for the day was only 5.2mm and the wind was very light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Timistry

Some day of rain. It poured all day here in Clonmel. Big flood in the Suir tonight and the road are flooded

• Advertisement

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    The rain total here for the day was only 5.2mm and the wind was very light.

The wind picked up around midnight for a few hours. Light again now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lads the rain is really bad in Cork - floods everywhere, got out of work early

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

leahyl wrote: »
    Lads the rain is really bad in Cork - floods everywhere, got out of work early

In the city or county?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The city, but pretty sure the county is bad too. Drove from UCC through Ballyphehane and onto the link road and along the Lower Road - a LOT of surface flooding. Conditions are atrocious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

leahyl wrote: »
    The city, but pretty sure the county is bad too. Drove from UCC through Ballyphehane and onto the link road and along the Lower Road - a LOT of surface flooding. Conditions are atrocious.
    Loads of reports coming in from cork kerry etc https://twitter.com/aaroadwatch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

High daily rainfalls from 19 October 2017

Gurteen - 45.8mm
    Cork Airport - 44.1mm
    Moore Park - 41.4mm
    Roches Point - 41.2mm
    Sherkin Island - 41.1mm
    Valentia Observatory - 31.4mm
    Finner Camp - 26.0mm
    Mullingar - 25.2mm
    Mt Dillon - 24.8mm
    Oak Park - 22.0mm
    Markree - 20.2mm
    Shannon Airport - 19.4mm
    Belmullet - 18.6mm
    Mace Head - 18.2mm
    Ballyhaise - 17.9mm
    Athenry - 15.9mm
    Knock Airport - 14.1mm
    Newport - 13.6mm
    Malin Head - 13.5mm
    Claremorris - 12.7mm

http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

sryanbruen wrote: »
    High daily rainfalls from 19 October 2017

Gurteen - 45.8mm
    Cork Airport - 44.1mm
    Moore Park - 41.4mm
    Roches Point - 41.2mm
    Sherkin Island - 41.1mm
    Valentia Observatory - 31.4mm
    Finner Camp - 26.0mm
    Mullingar - 25.2mm
    Mt Dillon - 24.8mm
    Oak Park - 22.0mm
    Markree - 20.2mm
    Shannon Airport - 19.4mm
    Belmullet - 18.6mm
    Mace Head - 18.2mm
    Ballyhaise - 17.9mm
    Athenry - 15.9mm
    Knock Airport - 14.1mm
    Newport - 13.6mm
    Malin Head - 13.5mm
    Claremorris - 12.7mm

http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

The above are 00z-24z totals... We got 38.4mm in South Laois, but it isn't comparable to the above because we record it 09z to 09z so anything after midnight last night is not added to the above table whereas the total for here does. On the flip side, 00z to 09z is included in the table above whereas the total for here excludes it. But I think there was more rain after midnight last night than on midnight Wednesday night into Thursday morning (2.5mm approx for here) IIRC we only got 0.3mm approx after midnight last night into this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Windy /inclement enough to knock out the electricity in Mountmellick again.
    Thankfully belly full and house warm. A lot of rain falling all day here.

EDIT Caused by a local man crashing into a pole. Thankfully in hospital but ok now.

EDIT: -To correct the record. Lineman electrocuted while helping restore power. Would be very unfair to leave that mistruth of mine there.

Advertisement