Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow - Saturday December 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Carnacalla wrote: »
    That's not the reason though.

Due to the weather fronts, theres a warm front over the southern half of the country and a cold front over then northern half. I appear to be in the middle in clare, temp over the past few hours has gone between 3.8c and 11.2c.

It could partly explain it. I 'm no weather expert in the slightest, but you will often see different weather at the Airport compared to Charlestown in terms of weather like snow or fog/mist coverage.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

In terms of Fog, yes Knock is a fog prone airport due to it being up a hill, similarly to Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Rain in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

Rain in Dublin

Take it that you just woke up !it's been bucketing for hours

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Yes woke up with it earlier. Nice to see snow sticking in some parts of the country

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

It's turned to rain in cavan,so should be every where else except on the or near to the highest ground up north

Well its snowing all morning in north Cavan. But in the last half hour it has really pick up in intensity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Swiftly

It's turned to rain in cavan,so should be every where else except on the or near to the highest ground up north

Nope. Still snowing on low ground across large swathes of Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Some chance that rain will turn to snow behind the cold front as the low pulls out to the east. If you have a cold rain, northeast winds and temps 3-4 C now, watch out for snow in an hour or two before the precip ends.

Wave is currently approaching Dublin, from radar I estimate the location to be just west of Casement. The rain to snow transition is most likely in Westmeath, Offaly and parts of Meath. I don't think it will reach Dublin although it might show up later on higher ground to south.

Temp here currently 3.7c in west Clare, should I expect anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

It was raining in south Cavan but has turned to snow in the last half hour. Fairly heavy falls too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    Well its snowing all morning in north Cavan. But in the last half hour it has really pick up in intensity.

South cavan
    Expect rain soon then

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Lying snow at 11 am:

Knock Airport: 7 cm
    Lough Fea: 4 cm
    Glennane: 2 cm

South cavan
    Expect rain soon then

And back to very wet rain and snow again,a sloppy mess

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Just seen the Glenshane Pass in Derry is closed!

No more snow in Sligo Town since this morning, but still very cold. Surrounding mountains looking great with their snow caps though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

South cavan
    Expect rain soon then

No. The system as passed. No rain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just rain here all night with a temp of 7C as expected. Still very heavy rain here at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

The sister stuck this up on Facebook a couple of hours ago. At Murrisk, near Westport.

371493.jpg

Temp here in West Clare just reached its painful min since midnight, currently 3.5c and very light sleet, snizzle.

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    No. The system as passed. No rain.

Ok ok, system,the exact same system will return to you tomorrow, then rain,have no fear the warm southern troops will regroup :p
    Enjoy it(if you've more than the sloppy slushy 2cms I've seen in S cavan)for tomorrow the rain and perhaps tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Current DPs. Quite a marked variation North to South.

pointrosee_uk_xdj8.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Drum Maigh Eo

Ended up with a covering of close to 60 mm at my location. Stopped at approximately 08:30. Thawing out steadily now, temp 2 deg C.
    Kids had a great morning anyway.

Loc. 6 miles east of Castlebar, 400 ft asl.

Ended up with a covering of close to 60 mm at my location. Stopped at approximately 08:30. Thawing out steadily now, temp 2 deg C.

Any Pictures?

60mm? Thats 3 foot

Edit you mean 6 cms
    My eyes are so cold now(damn ulster) I thought you said 60 cms :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

From Cavan County Council facebook page:

12369160_10153366661967711_9094398794466451360_n.jpg?oh=589c4c480b16130ae9c291ff26acd4a2&oe=56DAB551

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Lots of reports of snow in cavan/monaghan area. Lucky people :, (

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

60mm? Thats 3 foot

Edit you mean 6 cms
    My eyes are so cold now(damn ulster) I thought you said 60 cms :p

60cm is 2 foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Looks like significant snow on the western hills. 12 Pins, Maamturks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

TheBody wrote: »
    From Cavan County Council facebook page:

12369160_10153366661967711_9094398794466451360_n.jpg?oh=589c4c480b16130ae9c291ff26acd4a2&oe=56DAB551

Show off :(:mad:. Just joking :rolleyes:

Grange has reported no snow, not even a snowflake despite the chilly nature of 4.8c only reached

What temps does it usually begin to Snow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

My view from the front door today, currently 1.1C. (S.E. Sligo)

Advertisement