Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Irish Soup Kitchens"

Options
  • 26-09-2015 10:56am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I have noticed collectors for 'Irish Soup Kitchens' at the GPO and on O'Connell Street generally. They seem to give out freebies like biros, but don't seem to have the ID most other collectors have. No indication as to where these soup kitchens are located - anyone know anything about them?

Facebook page gives no address or registered charity number, just a mobile number for contact and the who,e operation is listed as 'Religious organisation'.
    All sounds a bit rum when there are many genuine charities in the area.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Are they the same guys who got shut down by the guards for not having the right permits?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Lux23 wrote: »
    Are they the same guys who got shut down by the guards for not having the right permits?

No think they are called March for the Homeless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

spurious wrote: »
    I have noticed collectors for 'Irish Soup Kitchens' at the GPO and on O'Connell Street generally. They seem to give out freebies like biros, but don't seem to have the ID most other collectors have. No indication as to where these soup kitchens are located - anyone know anything about them?

Facebook page gives no address or registered charity number, just a mobile number for contact and the who,e operation is listed as 'Religious organisation'.

Call the Gardai. Any one collecting for "charity" needs to get a permit from the Gardai. A lot of these people collecting for good causes are questionable.

The only proper soup I know of is Brother Kevins on Bow St. But they wouldnt collect like this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

spurious wrote: »

They're on Upper Baggot Street most days too - either at Donnybrook Fair or across the road at the Burger King.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Hagriderp

They are very legit, all you need to do if you're that curious is ask them to show you their legal documentation and they typically have their badge on them but maybe not always on show.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They are very wishy washy as to where their 'soup kitchens' are.

It appears they have a planned HQ in Drogheda and still only mobile numbers as contacts. Still no registered charity number.
    http://www.our.ie/county-louth/drogheda/health-and-medicine/irish-soup-kitchen-centres/soupkitchen/

Can't find the Facebook page any more.

I did ask to see documentation, but they are very shy about showing it.
    Anyway, I don't give to them. Far more open organisations around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Seems it was a bit of an issue for them
    Regional charity very worried by hoax collectors

A Drogheda-based organisation, which provides meals and food parcels to the most needy in society, has expressed worry at claims there were individuals attempting to collect money in their name in County Cavan over the weekend.

http://www.anglocelt.ie/news/roundup/articles/2014/10/21/4033294-regional-charity-very-worried-by-hoax-collectors/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭VG31

I've often wondered about these collectors as well, they don't look very genuine.

They are on Nassau Street between Easons and the Kilkenny shop a lot as well as Grafton Street near Compu b sometimes and in front of the GPO.

I think I've seen them elsewhere as well but I can't remember off hand.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

They are always outside the Dunnes Stores on North King St and the Tesco Express on Talbot St. Sometimes across the road from Tesco and/or outside Super Valu further down the street. I have also wondered about the validity of these collections. I just ignore them now... There's only so many times the same "charity" can ask for a donation every day before you become immune to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I saw them today on Henry St outside the ilac centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

They are always on Nassau Street with a little table which has taped to it a piece of A4 paper that says Irish Soup Kitchens. Doesn't look very legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Their FB hasn't been updated since 9/12/14......

Perhaps this might gain more traction in the Louth forum.

Is it a tad unusual that they're collecting in Dublin so regularly?

They say they're a religious organisation; this presumably exonerates them from being having to register with the Charities Regulator?

I'm smelling something here & it's quite fishy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Often see them at Stillorgan also outside the shopping centre.
    I noticed none of them ever actually say anything like 'please help the Irish Soup Kitchens' but just stand there... and most I've seen are on their phones at the time!

Most charities these days understand the need to get their 'brand' out and have spokespersons to spread the message of their charity, but I've never heard anything about these guys or what they do.
    (Just because they are called 'soup kitchens' doesn't mean that's what they do!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

They are always on Nassau Street with a little table which has taped to it a piece of A4 paper that says Irish Soup Kitchens. Doesn't look very legit.

Think it was them I saw today at the side of Brown Thomas, between the Centra and Cos, ropey looking table with printed off A4 signs, didn't seem very professional at all. Next time I see them I'll ask to see ID/permits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

They're not registered with Charity Regulator despite the chap who answered the phone saying to me that they were, that they'd submitted their forms etc. 2 years ago.

Charity Regulator says different; they only received forms in October 2015; someone's telling porkies.

Said their charitable status hasn't yet been determined so no charity number from the CR; the CR can remove this.

ISK did say they're opening a new soup kitchen to go with the one they have at 80 West St. in Drogheda (would love to know does it actually exist; Google throws up a number of businesses at that addresses incl. I think a Tattoo Parlour & a Butchers) at Nrs. 19/20 Ushers Island/Quay in Dublin at the end of July.

Given their FB page hasn't been updated since it was started in Dec. 14 I'd be loathe to hand over a cent based on what I've typed & what others've posted here too. Currently anyway......

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Don't take the soup! It will cost you your soul! :)

If you do though, get a load of bread - i.e. dough. Cash up front and all that.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Passed these today. There was an A4 page on the table with 'An Garda Siochana' printed and AGS logo on it. Now I didn't actually read it so don't know what it said but presuming they are legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

SteoL wrote: »
    Passed these today. There was an A4 page on the table with 'An Garda Siochana' printed and AGS logo on it. Now I didn't actually read it so don't know what it said but presuming they are legit.

I can put a Garda siochana logo on something, doesn't mean it's legit, did you read the post 2 posts above?

Fieldog wrote: »
    I can put a Garda siochana logo on something, doesn't mean it's legit, did you read the post 2 posts above?

Nope and that does seem suspect. I should have read the page to see what it said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    They're not registered with Charity Regulator despite the chap who answered the phone saying to me that they were, that they'd submitted their forms etc. 2 years ago.

Charity Regulator says different; they only received forms in October 2015; someone's telling porkies.

Said their charitable status hasn't yet been determined so no charity number from the CR; the CR can remove this.

ISK did say they're opening a new soup kitchen to go with the one they have at 80 West St. in Drogheda (would love to know does it actually exist; Google throws up a number of businesses at that addresses incl. I think a Tattoo Parlour & a Butchers) at Nrs. 19/20 Ushers Island/Quay in Dublin at the end of July.

Given their FB page hasn't been updated since it was started in Dec. 14 I'd be loathe to hand over a cent based on what I've typed & what others've posted here too. Currently anyway......

I'm from Drogheda. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, if anything they're a nuisance, because they did setup a soup kitchen right in the middle of a residential area, in between 2 schools. As far as I remember 80 West St was the original place planned for them to set up shop, but they decided not to as it's highly visible and might put off the service users. They do have a facility, in an area known as Sunday's Gate.

I'd be sceptical that it's a charity. All food is donated, there's supposed to be a cafe connected to the soup kitchen from which the profits of it are used to run the kitchen, but the whole idea has been dodgy as fcuk since day 1.

The guy running the show has a sh1t reputation in the town too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

I'm from Drogheda. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, if anything they're a nuisance, because they did setup a soup kitchen right in the middle of a residential area, in between 2 schools. As far as I remember 80 West St was the original place planned for them to set up shop, but they decided not to as it's highly visible and might put off the service users. They do have a facility, in an area known as Sunday's Gate.

I'd be sceptical that it's a charity. All food is donated, there's supposed to be a cafe connected to the soup kitchen from which the profits of it are used to run the kitchen, but the whole idea has been dodgy as fcuk since day 1. The guy running the show has a sh1t reputation in the town too.

Interesting. They were outside Drumcondra Tesco this week, tatty looking A4 sign with no branding or logo, etc. I was in a rush so didn't speak to the person collecting money. Weird that they are in Drogheda but collecting up and down the streets of Dublin??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

They've more than one soup kitchen, there's one in Dublin somewhere too AFAIK. As well as that, they're as popular as a fart in a lift in Drogheda, because of its location, lack of transparency and owner so collecting there would be a waste of everyone's time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

cactusgal wrote: »
    Interesting. They were outside Drumcondra Tesco this week, tatty looking A4 sign with no branding or logo, etc. I was in a rush so didn't speak to the person collecting money. Weird that they are in Drogheda but collecting up and down the streets of Dublin??

Dublin probably has more footfall than any other city, so more chance of donations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Danye

Similar setup outside the Swan Centre in Rathmines today. Without being judgemental, the two lads where rough looking and they gave off a mischievous vibe. If I see them again I'll ask a few questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Compas

I've relations living close to Drogheda. The Soup kitchen receive very little if any support from locals as there have been issues with transparency from day one. Not one cent would I give to this dodgy set up. Far more reputable actual charities struggling for funding out there.

Danye wrote: »
    Similar setup outside the Swan Centre in Rathmines today. Without being judgemental, the two lads where rough looking and they gave off a mischievous vibe. If I see them again I'll ask a few questions.

I should have mentioned where this bloke was standing - he was on Henry Street across from River Island. Next time I see him I will have a read of the page on the desk.

Has anybody ever seen anyone donate? I never have!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Has anybody ever seen anyone donate? I never have!

I've seen some American tourists give money. They're usually next to the Kilkenny shop on Nassau St which is full of tourists at this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

They can sometimes be found outside the Fresh in the IFSC, although they seem to divide their time there with the people who collect for apraxia sufferers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Has anyone reported them to the Gardai? I cant imagine the Gardai being thrilled with an illegal set up in the middle of Dublin 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Charitable

The airing Soup Kitchen Centers was set up in October 2013.Tge first soup kitchen was meant to open on 80 west street in Drogheda Co Louth but the charity found a better facility on dolans corner Sunday's gate drogheda co Louth they spent 110,000 euros renovating the building to health and safety standards they have fully fitted kitchen witch is serving 2300 hot meals per week to the needy. We also hand out 300 to 500 food parcels a week with are mobile delivery service. We in January this year took over two units number 19-20 ushers quay in Dublin witch we are presently renovating and we hope to provide approx 6500 hot meals per week and approx 1000 food hampers per week we are also looking at a venue in Co Meath at this present moment and hoping to sign up soon for any person that is doubt about the Irish soup kitchens please ask any of our volunteers for there licence there I.D and also the information letter stating what we have achieved since setting up in October 2013. Anyone who would like to check with the charity regulator will see for fact that our application was made in 2014
    The charity regulator was set up by our government to make sure that all funds received from the public are spent in a correct manner by the charity. Please also note that the Irish Soup Kitchen annual accounts for the past two years are on the charity regulator system and are fully certified by chartered accounts if any body requires any further information please PM

Advertisement