Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best kebab in dublin

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Southdubin6

My point is zaytoon lunch special is far and away superior to iskanders

If your buying specials you can't really judge. Buy a proper feed mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

If your buying specials you can't really judge. Buy a proper feed mate

The zaytoon lunch special for 10 is a proper feed

The iskanders for 10 is not.

Just my two cents mate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Southdubin6

The zaytoon lunch special for 10 is a proper feed

The iskanders for 10 is not.

Just my two cents mate

Ah right sure a tenner doesn't even get ya a kebab in zaytoon 10.50 for large donor kebab. I recommend a kofta or Shish in iskander if ya give it a try again

Ah right sure a tenner doesn't even get ya a kebab in zaytoon 10.50 for large donor kebab. I recommend a kofta or Shish in iskander if ya give it a try again

Will keep that in mind thanks :) iskanders used to be decent but I’ve had maybe 3 underwhelming meals there over the last year

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Zaytoon for the win. I’ve never had a disappointing feed in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,467 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Zaytoon by a mile.

Bread in zaytoons is too heavy I find

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Drunk kebabs list.
    1. ABRAKEBABRA( Anywhere)
    2. Rick's Burgers (Dame Street)
    3. Hot Spice (clanbrassil street)

The above are All ****e by the way.

Had a Ricks last week sober and it was grand. Didn't see any sign of kebabs though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Cienciano wrote: »
    I've been to ricks about 30 times, one of these days I'll try it sober.

I had their lunch special a couple of months ago, burger chips and small drink for 7.50 iirc. Burger was grand but the chips they use at lunch are different to whats used the rest of the day, the lunch time chips are very cheap and not great at all.
    I hope that they put some seating outside. The only times I pass is when I have the dog with me and I’m dying to try it.

If you've got good kebab handling skills then there is public seating at the end of Cows Lane and at the square on Dame St next door to City Hall. Though I don't think I would like to be eating a Zaytoon kebab with a dog watching and giving the begging eyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Has Zaytoons on parliament street reopened yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Has Zaytoons on parliament street reopened yet?

Yeah, passed it in the car on mon and it was opened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

I have to give a special mention to Iskanders for decency. I went in one night and ordered chicken shish, devastated when I got home and it was the wrong kebab.
    Went in a week or so later and told them and got my shish for free. Fair play, I could have been any stingy headbanger looking for a free meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Ventured into the newly refurbished Zaytoon on Parliament street and it looks swish. Nice upgrade that was badly needed to be fair. The kebabs haven't changed though, still a reliable bite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Passenger wrote: »
    Ventured into the newly refurbished Zaytoon on Parliament street and it looks swish. Nice upgrade that was badly needed to be fair. The kebabs haven't changed though, still a reliable bite.

I tried it on Paddy's Day for the first time since refurbishments Absolute disgusting. Worst kebab I had in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I tried it on Paddy's Day for the first time since refurbishments Absolute disgusting. Worst kebab I had in a long time.

What was so bad about it?

Muahahaha wrote: »

What was so bad about it?

It was tasteless. My girlfriend wasn't impressed neither. The chips tasted like they were thrown in the microwave.

It's usually our go to place.

It was on Paddy's Day and crowded but it shouldn't mean they should sell me sub par food.

It was tasteless. My girlfriend wasn't impressed neither. The chips tasted like they were thrown in the microwave.

It was on Paddy's Day and crowded but it shouldn't mean they should sell me sub par food.

Side issue but Their chips have never been great

Side issue but Their chips have never been great

Exactly. They're just low-grade frozen chips dumped in the fryer to compliment the kebab. That said, if they ever did hand-cut chips they would go down a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Cafe oasis in Smithfield , a seriously decent kebab and the best chips in a Kebab Shop in Dublin .

I don't think any restaurant could maintain their usual standards under the onslaught Zaytoons getson Paddys day.

We were in over the weekend and the food was their isual high standard.

Regarding the chips. I usually love the chips.

I'll certainly give it a go again soon.

Do you guys like the refurbishments? I think I preferred the dated look from before. It seems a little McDonaldsish now. It had more character with the dated tables etc before

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Yeah, it's just become another generic hipsterish looking place now-even McD's have got the same look. The only improvement for me is the better sound-less voices and plates and cutlery echoing.

sabat wrote: »
    Yeah, it's just become another generic hipsterish looking place now-even McD's have got the same look. The only improvement for me is the better sound-less voices and plates and cutlery echoing.

I liked going there and seeing old tables and middle Eastern families from Kris to grandmother's eating together. Made me feel like I'm in a proper restaurant. Now it looks too like a fast food joint.

I liked going there and seeing old tables and middle Eastern families from Kris to grandmother's eating together. Made me feel like I'm in a proper restaurant. Now it looks too like a fast food joint.

I walked past it the other day and I thought it looked really smart. I’d say it cost a fair few quid to fit out.

I really like the update.
    It's clearly much easier to keep clean and the layout is good, still lots of group size options. The new toilets alone sell it for me.

I'll miss sitting over the radiators im winter though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Chips in Zaytoon could do with an upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Zaytoons was very dark when I was in, looking forward to seeing the upgrade.
    Sort of gone off kebabs for the time being though. Want to throw some money at Wings on O'Connell street next time I'm in the city center. Admire them for holding their own there and have heard good things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Chips in Zaytoon could do with an upgrade

I think most foreign run places do not realise how much people value chips. There was a user a few years ago who worked in Chinese restaurants & takeaways and was open to questions.
    rubadub wrote: »
    Is there any reason the takeaways do not cut their own chips? This is a common complaint about them. I only knew of one that cut their own, Jumbo in stillorgan which is now changed to another name. The "chips" were like wedges and delicious, had a Chinese twist to them.
    RJohnG wrote: »
    @rubadub

Oh, as for the chips well, time and effort really. Frozen is best, straight in the deep fryer. Fresh you need to wash, peel then cut to size and par boil to remove the starch etc.

I have several Chinese takeaways around me to choose from, if one did decent chips I would be there probably 80% of the time. I often cook my own rice and get chips with the Chinese dish and eat them separately.

If I had a say in running a Chinese takeaway I would have both choices, and charge more for the freshly cut ones just like they do for fried rice. Some people do prefer frozen ones over "italian chipper" chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

rubadub wrote: »
    I think most foreign run places do not realise how much people value chips. There was a user a few years ago who worked in Chinese restaurants & takeaways and was open to questions.

I have several Chinese takeaways around me to choose from, if one did decent chips I would be there probably 80% of the time. I often cook my own rice and get chips with the Chinese dish and eat them separately.

If I had a say in running a Chinese takeaway I would have both choices, and charge more for the freshly cut ones just like they do for fried rice. Some people do prefer frozen ones over "italian chipper" chips.

What the **** do chips have to do with Chinese food? Or kebabs for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

A traditional Chinese 3 in 1 just isn't the same without them :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

oh sweet jesus, 2019 and this pure shite is still being trotted out...

been hearing it the last 25-30 years.

I never understand people feigning ignorance like this, do you think it makes you look smart or something?

Did somebody claim the ruler of China has ceremonial banquets of chicken curry, chips & onion rings?

What is the point of your post? its like those oddballs who butt in whenever professional wrestling is mentioning sharing their wisdom "you know that's not real right?"

But I will play along with your act of being laughably ignorant, maybe you really are - look up justeat and find 10 local chinese takeaways and 10 kebab houses. Now report back with % that serve chips, then it might dawn on you why people would be mentioning them in relation to those takeaways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Had my first Zaytoon after the upgrade and the chips were utter trash. Rock hard frozen dirt that were barely edible. Seems they have gone even cheaper on them (I always found them fine). They also put next to no sauce on the kebab so I had to go back up and ask for more as it tasted mostly of lettuce and diced cucumber. Heard the same report back from somebody else too. Maybe they've been told to cut down on the sauce for the good of our health :pac:

batman_oh wrote: »
    Had my first Zaytoon after the upgrade and the chips were utter trash. Rock hard frozen dirt that were barely edible. Seems they have gone even cheaper on them (I always found them fine). They also put next to no sauce on the kebab so I had to go back up and ask for more as it tasted mostly of lettuce and diced cucumber. Heard the same report back from somebody else too. Maybe they've been told to cut down on the sauce for the good of our health :pac:

I never get the chili sauce when there. Not a fan. The garlic is fine.

The chips have always been poor there I find. Frozen and mushy sort of.

I never get the chili sauce when there. Not a fan. The garlic is fine.

The chips have always been poor there I find. Frozen and mushy sort of.

I always stand with them as they're preparing the kebab as I like to customise it with more/less ingredients, usually more garlic sauce.

batman_oh wrote: »

Their chips before the refurbishment were tasty and freshm they're honestly hard to eat now and both times tasted like they were heated up in a microwave after laying there for hours.

We barely got any sauce too, which is why we had to buy extra garlic and chili sauce and both times we didn't get that long green chili like we used to.

Gone to the dogs in every aspect tbh.

had to buy extra garlic and chili sauce

You shouldn't have to actually buy extra sauce. Just ask them as they're preparing it to squirt on more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Passenger wrote: »
    You shouldn't have to actually buy extra sauce. Just ask them as they're preparing it to squirt on more.

I've been told twice over the years in Zaytoon that I'd have to pay extra for more sauce as it was measured per kebab. I'm not joking. Once I laughed it off and didn't pay and another time I told him to stick it up his hole and walked out.

It's a nice kebab but I've always found the service to be unpleasant and unnecessarily curt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Had a mixed doner in Zaytoon Parliament street last week. The kebab was nice, chips were awful. I have a feeling they are oven cooked and/or now have a strange coating to them. Similar to Burger King fries. All in all too dry and crunchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

1. Passion4food - by far the best in the city. I've only eaten in the clanbrassil Street one but imagine the Camden Street one is same quality.

2 Pasha - on Dorset Street. Nearly as good as p4f but staff less friendly.

3. Kebab House - in phibsboro. Top quality kebab. The place itself is a bit shabby looking compared to others though so eating there is not as good.

4. Zaytoon - very hit and miss. Can be great. Camden Street generally better than temple bar. Chips are oven cooked now though so are dirt.

5. Iskanders - only okay. They use real doner meat but the chips and drink that come with the meal are very poor. Staff are not friendly at all though.

Haven't eaten in falafel in temple bar but have heard good things.

Altoon in Dundrum used to be good but I think they've stopped using proper doner and are using that grey mass produced mystery meat that most places use now.

Zaytoon was never that good. Maybe ok for Dublin but that's not a standard to aspire to.

And the tasteless accompanying chips always let them down even further as others have said.

Had a mixed doner in Zaytoon Parliament street last week. The kebab was nice, chips were awful. I have a feeling they are oven cooked and/or now have a strange coating to them. Similar to Burger King fries. All in all too dry and crunchy.

Is it that they can’t be bothered having proper deep fried chips or what?

The chips they use are not a patch on ordinary fried chips.

The seasoning they dust over them should be optional as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Have always been a big fan of zaytoon but had a pretty mingling chicken sheesh last night.

Should have stuck with the lamb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

humberklog wrote: »
    I've been told twice over the years in Zaytoon that I'd have to pay extra for more sauce as it was measured per kebab. I'm not joking. Once I laughed it off and didn't pay and another time I told him to stick it up his hole and walked out.

It's a nice kebab but I've always found the service to be unpleasant and unnecessarily curt.

I couldn't agree with this more, I had the same thing with the sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Had a mixed grill from the Falafel place in Temple Bar the other week

Thought id died and gone to heaven

Delish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Zatoon my arse it's gone too sh#t new decor and new staff, guy at the till f$cked up our order wanted a lamb doner and a drink but ended up drinking a coke lookin at my friends eating their food .couldn't be arsed ordering again and have them looking a me eating and having to wait. you had one fu$king job you fu#king moron.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

glasso wrote: »
    Zaytoon was never that good. Maybe ok for Dublin but that's not a standard to aspire to.

And the tasteless accompanying chips always let them down even further as others have said.

What country/city would be known for doing better?

Just from the top of my head i've tried Belgium, Holland, Germany, Britain, France, Morocco, Jordan, Czech and probably a few I've left out and they're pretty much to the same (or less) in standard as Dublin. It's only cheap meat in bread after all. The freshness of the salad, the standard of bread and quality of the sauces are important to make it a good kebab imo
    2 exceptions would be Israel and The Leb but that's only going by a handful of exceptional outlets in those countries.

But that's just my experience.

humberklog wrote: »
    What country/city would be known for doing better?

Just from the top of my head i've tried Belgium, Holland, Germany, Britain, France, Morocco, Jordan, Czech and probably a few I've left out and they're pretty much to the same (or less) in standard as Dublin. It's only cheap meat in bread after all. The freshness of the salad, the standard of bread and quality of the sauces are important to make it a good kebab imo
    2 exceptions would be Israel and The Leb but that's only going by a handful of exceptional outlets in those countries.

But that's just my experience.

Absolutely but the pride someone takes in the quality of what they do can enhance the experience of the person eating as is in this situation the food being served . Iv had a kebab in the bogazichi in streatham hill that was unbelievable , it may not have been the best but the guy making it had such pride in his food/recipe/secret ingredients that it elevated the experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Is there anywhere in dublin that a german style doner kebap can be got? Something like this -

image.jpg

retalivity wrote: »
    Is there anywhere in dublin that a german style doner kebap can be got? Something like this -

image.jpg

Or a Berlin style falafel like you get in the kiosks

Someone recommended Falafel in temple bar so I gave it a go today.

It was delicious. Most enjoyable kebab I had in a long time. The chips were great too. I cannot wait to go back.

However..at €15 for a kebab meal, it's quite expensive. Hard to justify spending €15oj a kebab meal no matter how tasty it is considering there is loads of options that will satisfy me close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Someone recommended Falafel in temple bar so I gave it a go today.

It was delicious. Most enjoyable kebab I had in a long time. The chips were great too. I cannot wait to go back.

However..at €15 for a kebab meal, it's quite expensive. Hard to justify spending €15oj a kebab meal no matter how tasty it is considering there is loads of options that will satisfy me close by.

Was that for a doner or shish kebab? Cause I'd argue it isn't outrageously expensive for a shish, especially if the meat is good, the bread is out of the oven, and the salad fresh. Good chips are an added bonus. Like a Big Mac meal is nearly €9, and you're hungry again 2 hours later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement