Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best kebab in dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Pretty sure Zaytoon deliver....I'm sure I saw that in the window

Ah damn it got my hopes up, went and checked there website im just a tad bit outside there delivery areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hobert187

Went into iskanders on dame st after plenty beers seeking the famed "best kebab in Dublin" talked about here. I asked for chicken shish and was given an excuse they had none or wer too busy so I got shwarma. I thought it was rotten, no sauce just bland chicken. Everyone I was with was equally unimpressed with their various choices. Zaytoon on parliament st is way better and kebabish clanbrassil st is easily still the best kebab in Dublin for me and my mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 larryolaoi

I've eaten in all the best kebab places, Iskenders, Zaytoon etc but I have to say the best kebab in Ireland is Passion 4 Food on clanbrassil st, best quality and cheaper than zaytoon and Iskanders. I only count a proper kebab place if it makes its own kebabs. Down the country there is a good place in Urlingford..wishing well, doesn't make its own lamb kebab but the sauces and quantity make up for it..does make its own chicken kebab though and you would want to be hungry before eating a full one. Babylon kebab in Irishtown Clonmel do a good kebab too great sauces, again they don't make their own lamb kebab though which is a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Looking back, I can't believe I've been going to Iskanders for 13 years now when ever out in Dublin. You either like it or you don't. Zaytoon is just different and never was a comparision to Iskanders in my taste buds. They are infamous for a Kebab on the way home after a night out. a Chicken Shish is actually healthy (on points) if you count that sort of thing as its BBQ'd.

yum yum, long live the Iskanders Kebab :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I've gone off Zaytoon lately. Iskanders or Mezza for me these days

• Advertisement

Mezza is shut :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

larryolaoi wrote: »
    Mezza is shut :(

For a while too it seems.

Its permanently shut! fish shop in place. Pity

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Awful shame, I always passed zaytoon for mezza. Myself and 3 friends went into mezza one weeknight, and were the only people in there and they brought us down free sides etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was mezza the place 2 doors up from Zaytoon on Parliament St?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Yup.

Hadnt been in a while, thought it was better than zaytoon myself too.

Was in the takeaway (chili something?) on kevin st next to boojum a few weeks back and thought it was decent, was spicy as hell though.

Disclaimer: i was intoxicated at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Resurrecting this thread.

Went to Passion 4 Food on Clonbrassil Street this evening. Really excellent food - bread cooked fresh in front of you, salad freshly prepared, homemade sauces and hummus, the meat which was cooked over charcoals was superb. The staff were dead sound and the place is spotless. It was doing a hopping trade - even had a few members of the Gardai Armed Response Unit in on their break.

I didn't have any of the kebabs, going for the charcoal chicken instead, but did have a taste of my dining companion's lamb shish and it was phenomenal. Easily some of the best ethnic food I've eaten in Dublin.

Here's what I had:

415956.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

^i can confirm the lamb kebab there is also excellent...spilled it all over myself 2 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Indian place in rathfarnham village does a Naan with a curry-esque filling. Its sacrilegious against the donner while also being the tastiest take away one can find. Worth a punt for all southsiders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Another vote for Passion 4 Food. Definitely the best I've had, puts Zaytoon to shame. Pasha on Dorst St is great as well. There's a great facebook page called dublinkebabclub that has a top 10 list on it that'd be worth a look if you're passionate about the kebab.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Marsellas chipper in Ballygall do a pretty good kebab!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Zaytoon for proper Kebabs , end of ... in terms of chipper Kebabs, Romayos have the best.

Zaytoon for proper Kebabs , end of ... in terms of chipper Kebabs, Romayos have the best.

You need to take a trip to Passion 4 Food tbh. Zaytoon's time has passed.

You need to take a trip to Passion 4 Food tbh. Zaytoon's time has passed.

Hand't heard of it before this thread but will defo be giving it a go.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I see Habibi on George's St has closed and it doesn't look like reopening. That always got my vote for best kebab.
    They had a good middle eastern/asian customer base but struggled to attract European clientele for some reason.
    Pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 purplemonkey79

Never knew what the big fuss about zaytoon is ,the food is nothing to write home about

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Never knew what the big fuss about zaytoon is ,the food is nothing to write home about

When they opened 1st in Temple Bar about 15 years ago(?) there wasn't much of a selection outside of dingy, pokey kebab shops or Abrakebabra. Zaytoon had a nice big room, opened late and the kebabs were miles ahead on quality.
    That was a long time ago and since then there's more and better competition and not just kebabs but affordable half decent takeaway/sit in options.

I found that I got too familiar with the taste of Zaytoon's too quickly and went off them and I thought the service to be often gruff and dismissive.

humberklog wrote: »
    When they opened 1st in Temple Bar about 15 years ago(?) there wasn't much of a selection outside of dingy, pokey kebab shops or Abrakebabra. Zaytoon had a nice big room, opened late and the kebabs were miles ahead on quality.
    That was a long time ago and since then there's more and better competition and not just kebabs but affordable half decent takeaway/sit in options.

I found that I got too familiar with the taste of Zaytoon's too quickly and went off them and I thought the service to be often gruff and dismissive.

Even when they were first opened I never seen the big deal , I think too many people have a drunken memory of the place and thought they had decent grub :D:D

Even when they were first opened I never seen the big deal , I think too many people have a drunken memory of the place and thought they had decent grub :D:D

In fairness the garlic sauce is garlicy enough to shock you back into sobriety even at 4am :D

I've actually never had it drunk , cant stomach food at all after a few ... all ways thought it was quality stuff and do love a good kebab tbh

I've actually never had it drunk , cant stomach food at all after a few ... all ways thought it was quality stuff and do love a good kebab tbh

It's a step up from abrakebabra anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Passion 4 food is leagues ahead of the rest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Anyone eat in any of the Turkish places in Dalston or Green Lanes in London where you can buy massive platters of various meats and rice and bulgur wheat etc? This whole thread is a waste of time if you've had what they serve over there, an absolute feast. If you ever get a chance go here

gokyuzurestaurant.co.uk

Or one of the restaurants surrounding it, mind blowing!

I wish they opened something similar here, dirt cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Finding it hard to look past zaytoon as my favourite kebab. Anyone any recommendations in where to try next?

By the way, the temple bar branch is closed as it's being done up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

I just noticed yesterday that the one on Parliment St. was closed so checked out this thread to see what was happening to it. It's definitely opening up again?

I haven't been in a good while but I've a hankering for one now, might go to Camden St branch at the weekend.

My go to drunken kebab was Mezze on Parliment St which was a few doors up from Zaytoon. Think it's shut a few years now though.

Advertisement