Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sega Megadrive mini

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This is the most holier than thou post I've ever seen. :o

I already have most of the games but doubt the console still works at this stage.

I'll keep stealing "stealing" by playing them online, thank you very much. :p

No need for the insults.

I wasn't insulting you.

And I was just stating facts.

There are plenty of people here that use emulation.

And there are plenty of people who own original hardware.

Also, there are plenty of reasons not to buy the Megadrive Mini.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And with my moderator hat on,
    You are welcome to use this forum and take part, but if you continue to only have negativity to say then please feel free not to post here at all.
    If it continues you may receive a warning, escalating to a forum ban.
    We all follow the rules here, this is part of the price of admission.
    If you can't, then don't post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I steal them the old fashioned way, downloading huge romsets, filling devices with them, and still end up just playing 1942, Track & Field, Mr do! or dig dug. (offline).

Have the retro flag megadrive pi case with the sega "frontend"* that was supposedly going on the mini but time ran out for it. It's pretty nifty but If this mini gets a bit cheaper I'll probably buy it.

*Blast16

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

All these games can be played for free online, so why would I fork out 75 precious euros for this?

Pffft, normies...

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭R.F.

All these games can be played for free online, so why would I fork out 75 precious euros for this?:confused:

I like the aesthetic of the mini consoles. I own all 4 now (SNES, NES and even PS1) I don't use them much but it is nice to have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

All these games can be played for free online, so why would I fork out 75 precious euros for this?:confused:

I know.
    But it's good to have something you can hook up to your tv and play on the sofa.
    A Pi could do the same. But it's just easier to get the mini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It does seem extremely disingenuous for someone to make a statement like that.

By that logic, why read books when you can just download them to a Kindle for free instead?

Why have arcade machines when MAME exists?

Why go on holiday when you can just wander around in Google Streetview?

Because they are different experiences, which I'm sure the person already knows.

I won't be buying a Megadrive mini, mainly because I've no use for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

o1s1n wrote: »
    I won't be buying a Megadrive mini, mainly because I've no use for one.

I'll be buying one for precisely this reason :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »
    Why have arcade machines when MAME exists?

MAME loves real arcade machines too ;) The bloody thing made me sell my pcb's when I see a pcb and MAME running side by side on two cabs...

But yeah, agreed. There's a whole spectrum of experience to gauge here, from playing games through an internet browser, to using real hardware on a crt...hardly the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,224 ✭✭✭✭briany

Inviere wrote: »
    MAME loves real arcade machines too ;) The bloody thing made me sell my pcb's when I see a pcb and MAME running side by side on two cabs...

But yeah, agreed. There's a whole spectrum of experience to gauge here, from playing games through an internet browser, to using real hardware on a crt...hardly the same thing.

I think a true retro experience is probably made up of a dozen different sensory inputs and cues. Tactile things like pushing in the cart or blowing on the contacts can't really be replicated. Also, I've always noticed that if you have instant access to a load of different games at once, it makes things feel cheaper and this greatly diminishes attention span, in my experience. If you have only a few in physical form, and you have to actually get up to change them, there's a bit of a commitment made there and makes it much easier to focus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Danick

Anyone know where I can get the 6 button version of the controller for the new mini? I know it was released in Japan but I'm hoping they released it to buy separately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭Inviere

briany wrote: »
    I think a true retro experience is probably made up of a dozen different sensory inputs and cues. Tactile things like pushing in the cart or blowing on the contacts can't really be replicated. Also, I've always noticed that if you have instant access to a load of different games at once, it makes things feel cheaper and this greatly diminishes attention span, in my experience. If you have only a few in physical form, and you have to actually get up to change them, there's a bit of a commitment made there and makes it much easier to focus.

Fully agree there. Most everyone here as at one point fel 'flash cart syndrome', where you have hundreds of files available, and end up playing nothing. You have to exercise discipline when using roms/emulation/flash carts, because exactly what you said WILL happen - you'll value nothing, and play nothing.

I think you'll have to import them, or have a look at the likes of Tomtop or AliExpress as I believe they have 3rd party pads that are compatible and six button.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I think you'll have to import them, or have a look at the likes of Tomtop or AliExpress as I believe they have 3rd party pads that are compatible and six button.

Thanks - I really want he officially licensed 6 button pads by SEGA

Master of the Universe

Fully agree there. Most everyone here as at one point fel 'flash cart syndrome', where you have hundreds of files available, and end up playing nothing. You have to exercise discipline when using roms/emulation/flash carts, because exactly what you said WILL happen - you'll value nothing, and play nothing.

It's actually one reason I tend not to get involved in doing that with modern consoles. My Switch games for example are all 100% legit.

Fairly sure if I'd had unlimited access to the full Switch library I wouldn't be playing half the things I am.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

With the proliferation of digital stores and cheap games I'm getting it with modern consoles. My Switch is awash with tonnes of great games I can play at the touch of a button so I have to be very disciplined or I'll end up playing nothing.

Then there is my Steam/GOG library… I won't even go into that.

The worst thing about modern games though is the feel you need to be playing the latest release as soon as it comes out. Lots of times I've been playing a stone cold classic old school game and then dropped it because some modern game comes out that I end up not enjoying nearly as much. I've kind of learned now that modern big budget games are just a heap of **** with a focus on skinner box games instead of gameplay, outside the likes of games from Nintendo, Platinum, From etc.

But then you've got a vast wealth of indie games that are really worth your time. Thank god for indie games as I really think gaming would be in a stinking quagmire without it.

Ah, the days of a full R4 and several cakes of PS/DC/Wii games, and played only ten minutes past the intro on most of them!

What do you guys think of the new Mini Megadrive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Danick wrote: »
    What do you guys think of the new Mini Megadrive?

I've not given mine a proper shake-down, but so far I've enjoyed it. I've not noticed the audio lag - yet - and have noticed that games run faster given they're emulated at the original 60Hz speed rather than the traditional PAL experience of 50Hz (or else I'm getting slower as I age :p ). The pads are - from what I recall - close to if not full size unlike the NES/SNES offerings which are minified so makes for a less cramped experience for those of us with bigger hands.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think you mean proper speed rather than faster.

This has been your daily announcement from the 60Hz proper order police.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Spotted this on the net: BrawlerGen pad
    brawlergen-mini-front-w-plug-700x700-2.png

$30, compatible with MD mini

What's the craic with this being hacked?
    Wanna play me some Skitchin' and Greatest Heavyweights which is the greatest boxing game of all time ;) :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,224 ✭✭✭✭briany

I've been emulating games for about 15 years now, and in that time I think I've finished approximately 6 of them. Those are,

Zelda Wind Waker
    Mario Galaxy 2
    Super Mario Land
    Super Mario Land 2
    Pilotwings
    Pilotwings 64

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

What's the craic with this being hacked?

Was about to ask the same. I haven't bought one yet, but I'm tempted
    Wanna play me some Skitchin' and Greatest Heavyweights which is the greatest boxing game of all time ;) :P

You are 100% correct. Greatest Heavyweights is the greatest boxing game of all time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

No news since 2 weeks back a group has hacked the system but are testing it before they release to the public.

• Advertisement

No news since 2 weeks back a group has hacked the system but are testing it before they release to the public.

YarHarHar! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

YarHarHar! :pac:

Not really considering I only play what I already own or obscure Japan only Translated games :P

Where's the best value to be had in these things?
    I can see that Argos have them for €69.99 but is it anywhere here, bricks and mortar, that's cheaper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

What's the consensus on the Megadrive Flashback that Lidl have in this week?
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/tech-gifts/sega-mega-drive-flashback/p32600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Pique wrote: »

Crap

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Woefull and you can buy the real deal for cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

It depends which version. I've seen a couple of reviews on Youtube where people talked about a 2nd version of the Flashback, the 2018 version, which featured a few revisions over the original release. Think it's got a working cart slot, takes original controllers as well as having wireless controllers and it should take an SD card if it's the 2018 version. That said they burned their bridges with most folks with the first attempt.

I don't think it's the 2018 version in the Lidl ad btw.

It doesn't matter which version of the AT Games be it the earlier version or the 2018 release - they all have sound issues - avoid and buy the official Sega Megadrive Mini instead.

has this been hacked yet? :p

Pretty insane Lidl are flogging the AT games Megadrive for pretty much the same price as the mini. Going to fool a lot of people as well which is unfortunately. The AT games machines are so bad they will actively put people off old games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

One of my FB friends was sharing LIDL's link and it was getting loads of likes & discussion, I chimed in on the convo and set them straight. Unfortunately I think many many people will fall into that trap. People will look at it like "It has twice as many games as the other one, plus wireless controllers"

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pretty insane Lidl are flogging the AT games Megadrive for pretty much the same price as the mini. Going to fool a lot of people as well which is unfortunately. The AT games machines are so bad they will actively put people off old games.

I don't know, the target audience is not, well, us.

It's the people who possibly play a lot of Fifa and remember fondly the Megadrive their dad probably had in the home.

Their memories of Sonic are lost in a pink haze of nostalgia.

And, let's face it, it'll be played on a 55" OLED in 16:9 with all the TV based processing on, so there'll be lag to boot, and they won't actually care, it'll just be Sonic to them.

The likes of us, cursed with insight, will just not buy them!

True but that kind of set up will put people off playing these games and dismiss them as terrible. I mean I've dismissed games before because of TV lag. What's it going to be like with TV lag, awful emulation, ear piercing sound and, my personal favourite, crappy controller syndrome.

True but that kind of set up will put people off playing these games and dismiss them as terrible. I mean I've dismissed games before because of TV lag. What's it going to be like with TV lag, awful emulation, ear piercing sound and, my personal favourite, crappy controller syndrome.

Sounds like an Arcade and Retro Beers in my house!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

ear piercing sound

Ever try to put Golden Axe on at a Ciderdude beers?

source.gif

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

The latest model of the ATgames Mega Drive(the one with a non functioning volume slider) actually isn't that bad at all once you update the firmware on it, certainly not as bad as people make it out to be anyway its a massive improvement on their older models, I think most people dismiss it straight away because it's from ATgames, it can play SMS/GG and Mega CD just fine as well all with artwork

mr.noobie wrote: »
    The latest model of the ATgames Mega Drive(the one with a non functioning volume slider) actually isn't that bad at all once you update the firmware on it, certainly not as bad as people make it out to be anyway its a massive improvement on their older models, I think most people dismiss it straight away because it's from ATgames, it can play SMS/GG and Mega CD just fine as well all with artwork

Any links to sites who have reviewed this sudden and unexpected uptick in quality from a company with a history of pretty dire clone consoles?

Don't all of the @tgames products amount to a system-on-a-chip solution that can't be firmware updated into decency?

Edit: just on a forum where they discuss it.
    Depends on the version.
    Atgames were told to stop making them, but the last iteration had an SD slot and this firmware update unlocks it for adding extra games as well as improvements to it's function.
    Still not as good as the Mini.
    https://atariage.com/forums/topic/286745-sega-flashback-2019-custom-firmware-available/

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Any links to sites who have reviewed this sudden and unexpected uptick in quality from a company with a history of pretty dire clone consoles?

Don't all of the @tgames products amount to a system-on-a-chip solution that can't be firmware updated into decency?

Edit: just on a forum where they discuss it.
    Depends on the version.
    Atgames were told to stop making them, but the last iteration had an SD slot and this firmware update unlocks it for adding extra games as well as improvements to it's function.
    Still not as good as the Mini.
    https://atariage.com/forums/topic/286745-sega-flashback-2019-custom-firmware-available/
    There's a custom firmware floating around somewhere for it too that allows for artwork and uses an updated version of the Gensis GX emulator or replaces it with Picodrive think it was from gbatemp, probably still not better than the mini but from what I understand its not far off it, I think it plays just fine with the controllers supplied too.

mr.noobie wrote: »
    There's a custom firmware floating around somewhere for it too that allows for artwork and uses an updated version of the Gensis GX emulator or replaces it with Picodrive think it was from gbatemp, probably still not better than the mini but from what I understand its not far off it, I think it plays just fine with the controllers supplied too.

Please don’t buy the ATgames version for a gamer!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I see that Lidl on their website are advertising the Flashback console and are using an image of the official Mini's box.

Appears hackers are working on finally getting this hacked. Something called "Project Lunar"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Appears hackers are working on finally getting this hacked. Something called "Project Lunar"

Yeah that looks the most promising. The machine is underclocked so I think they'll address that, and focus on being able to add new games to the stock UI. I think a lot of people just want to be able to add new games within the same interface, so the artwork fits in and everything. They don't necessarily want to run multiple emulators off it. I'd be happy just playing Sega games on it, maybe 32X or Sega CD perhaps as well, but mostly Mega Drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Yeah that looks the most promising. The machine is underclocked so I think they'll address that, and focus on being able to add new games to the stock UI. I think a lot of people just want to be able to add new games within the same interface, so the artwork fits in and everything. They don't necessarily want to run multiple emulators off it. I'd be happy just playing Sega games on it, maybe 32X or Sega CD perhaps as well, but mostly Mega Drive.

I'd be a very, very, very casual gamer at best, but the ability to add Mega Drive games to it is all I want for a hack. If that happens, I will probably pull the trigger on buying one

Advertisement