Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension - cold

Options
  • 14-10-2019 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi

The house i live in is older house with no insulation. The house isn't that cold but the ground floor extension(kitchen) built onto the house is very cold. Ive increased the size of the radiator in the kitchen/extension and this made 0 difference. The extension has a felted flat roof

As a quick win and to stick with in a small budget would screwing insulation boards onto the ceiling make a difference. Or am I wasting money. I don't want to have to remove all kitchen cupboards to screw insulation boards onto the walls of the kitchen.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

it wouldnt at all be unusual that a 60s/70s extension would feel a lot colder than an 1870s era stone house... its due to the thickness of the walls and the draftiness of the extension construction.

its very hard to offer advise until you let us know how the extension is constructed??
    hollow block wall with no internal insulation?
    single glazed timber windows? aluminium?
    large glazed openings?

a couple of photos would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭allycavs

double glazed pvc window. PVC back door double glazed. I know the main house cant be pumped with insulation. options are internal or external insulation. As for extension I dont know if its build with similar materials. Its pretty obvious there is no insulation in the extension as it very cold part of house. The extension was originally a garage which was converted and extended to be part of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Chances are there is no insulation in the flat roof - this was the case with our extension.so we went with rigid board insulation on top of the roof and re applied the felt. It has made a big difference.

Advertisement