Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Centra Rivervalley(Formerly C & T's) Closing Christmas Eve

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Has River Valley been Specially Selected?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭eggerb

So, looks like Aldi have finalised the site acquisition* and have decided to revisit store design. They have applied for planning permission to make alterations to the 2013 grant.

*There are no docs attached to the planning application but when they are uploaded, they should confirm if Aldi now own the site.

It’ll be interesting to watch what happens. It’ll probably be approved with conditions by FCC but I could see some third party objections.

Planning Reference: F18A/0594
    Date of Application: 24-Oct-2018
    Applicant: Aldi Stores (Ireland) Limited
    Location: River Valley Shopping Centre, River Valley Road, Swords, Co. Dublin.

Proposal Description:
    Alterations to a previously permitted retail development (Register Refer F13A/0306, PL06F.243093). The development will consist of: the amalgamation of the approved retail unit no. 8 into the approved supermarket (unit 9), extending the supermarket by 290 sq.m; extension of the retail floor space to the north east (18 sq.m.); extension of the retail floor space into the lobby (19 sq.m.); extension of the rear loading area (19 sq.m.); an enlarged plant storage enclosure to the rear (20 sq.m.); reconfigured trolley bay at the front of the store; associated elevational changes to unit 8 involving the omission of the entrance and windows on the north elevation; and the omission of the raised roof height and solar panels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

the omission of the raised roof height and solar panels.

Not happy with that, are Aldi now exempt from sustainable building design?

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see the new Aldi store, just wish they'd stop passing the buck on issues like green energy and sustainability

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Not happy with that, are Aldi now exempt from sustainable building design?

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see the new Aldi store, just wish they'd stop passing the buck on issues like green energy and sustainability

Agreed, the new school building being built for my daughter's school has just been delayed as they are being held to these new green energy standards and solar panels, which weren't in the original planning grant, building was delayed soo long they are now subject to them, and have to amend the planning to include. We can delay schools but not an Aldi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Inquitus wrote: »
    Agreed, the new school building being built for my daughter's school has just been delayed as they are being held to these new green energy standards and solar panels, which weren't in the original planning grant, building was delayed soo long they are now subject to them, and have to amend the planning to include. We can delay schools but not an Aldi!

To be fair, the nZEB standard has been around for years and planners and architects have known for some time what the cut off date is for new buildings. It's like the rush of building before the new standards came in in 2012

They should have designed the buildings properly in the first place to avoid that mess.

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

River Valley, Swords has been listed on https://www.aldirecruitment.ie - Opening October 2019. We've seen it listed before but reckon this could be credible enough.

eggerb wrote: »
    So, looks like Aldi have finalised the site acquisition* and have decided to revisit store design. They have applied for planning permission to make alterations to the 2013 grant.

*There are no docs attached to the planning application but when they are uploaded, they should confirm if Aldi now own the site.

It’ll be interesting to watch what happens. It’ll probably be approved with conditions by FCC but I could see some third party objections.

Planning docs there now. No decision yet but looks like there was no third party objections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

pinkypinky wrote:
    Just what Swords needs: a 10th large supermarket.

Plenty of room for another store.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

Peacocks(the pub) closing at 8 tomorrow so ESB can do some infrastructure work with regards to Aldi moving in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

TCM wrote: »
    Plenty of room for another store.

Agreed! Swords has a population of 40000 according to Census 2016 and has an additional large catchment area of Malahide, Donabate, Portrane, Kinsealy, Naul and other Fingal areas. Plenty of small towns with just 1000-2000 people have a Supervalu or Lidl so Swords can more than support 10 supermarkets.

Remember, corner shops are virtually disappearing everywhere also so apart from convenience stores located in petrol stations, supermarkets are fulfilling (if not taking over) the service those extinct corner shops used to provide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Great news, the queue's may not be as long now in Seatown.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭mickmmc

Aldi received an extension of planning until 31st December 2020 (per Fingal website). Planning was due to run out in August 2019.

In other news, there is a planning notice on the car park on Main Street (near Mc Grane's Laundry) for prefabs (Rivervalley ETB). That is a busy location for a primary school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sidcon

From Joe Newman on facebook
    I am reliably informed that Aldi have appointed a contractor for the new Aldi Shop in River Valley. Some pre-construction work is ongoing at present and it is expected that the contractor will be on site this coming Monday.
    While it is not before its time I am pleased that the work is now starting, I will be pushing hard to ensure the whole shopping centre is brought up to a standard befitting of our great community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Seen some diggers etc in the car park outside it while waiting for the bus earlier this morning, looks like work has begun.

Good to see works have started. It'll be a welcome addition to the community and the area, in general.

A commencement notice doesn't appear to have been served by the owners/builders so it might be only site preparatory works as opposed to full steam ahead build.

Both planning files below if anybody is concerned and/or affected by the actual construction works. Some relevant construction conditions include the following:

>The beam of construction lights (if any) shall be directed away from windows of existing houses.
    >During the construction phase of the development, best practicable means shall be employed to minimise air blown dust being emitted from the site. This shall include covering skips and slack-heaps, netting of scaffolding, daily washing down of pavements or other public areas, and any other precautions necessary to prevent dust nuisances.
    >Measures shall be taken to spillage or deposits on adjoining roads during construction. In the event, immediate steps shall be taken to rectify
    Damage to any roads shall be made good.

Full details of conditions in 'Final Grant Notice' documents in the following files:

http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayURL?theApnID=F13A/0306

http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayURL?theApnID=F18A/0594

• Advertisement

Waiting for the bus this morning and they were tearing up the surface of the car park. Wouldn't fancy having to listen to the noise of it at 7:30 in the morning!

When is this due to be completed? I believe its around March next year?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

March? I though it was originally to be Christmas :rolleyes:. It can't be easy for the people living in the houses backing onto it.

Hopefully they'll give the rest of the shops a facelift because they're looking really grim now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Shred

I was in Viva Style earlier and one of the girls said Aldi is supposed to be opening in February. I think someone mentioned before that the car park was to be redone along with a facelift of some sort for the shops as part of the plans too?

Looks like they are gearing up for the shop opening now, walked by there this morning, hoarding all down and the shop fit is well underway. I think I read on Facebook that Feb 20th is the opening date.

The work done so far has given the shopping centre a nice looking face lift. Can see all the other businesses look to be getting new signage also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It's looking really good, Aldi is nice and big and the rest of the shops will look so much better when they're finished :)

• Advertisement

Well according to whoever runs their Twitter account they haven't got a definite date for opening :mad:

Well according to whoever runs their Twitter account they haven't got a definite date for opening :mad:

Strange one! Shelves were stocked this morning (bar the fresh stuff). Sure will know soon enough if and when it opens...

Oh good! If they're stocking up then it's close to opening. Maybe the Twitter account just didn't know :)

On the day C+T opened there originally in the 80s there were hundreds of us outside - I'd imagine this will be much the same :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AleoN

Supposed to be opening this Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Yes, this Thursday (just saw an ad on Facebook).

Aldi.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Shred

Brill! It'll be interesting to see what impact it has on traffic in RV. Either way I'll be there, likely browsing the hardware section for things I don't really need as usual :pac:

Me too - and we won't have to be ashamed of the other shops any more now they've had a facelift :pac:

I'm happy to report that the new Aldi is fab. It's huge, and the aisles are nice and wide. The car park and the whole shopping area are hugely improved :)

Advertisement