Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing brand new Fridge-freezer in a new-build

Options
  • 26-09-2019 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi,

I just bought a new house and the kitchen appliances were included. I didn't look at them in detail before buying but now that I am moving in I have realized that the Freezer section of the built-in fridge-freezer is way smaller than I would like; it is less than half the size of the fridge section and there is a good 2 feet of empty space above the unit so it could easily fit a fridge freezer with a bigger freezer section. So, does anyone know if any of the standard appliance suppliers would entertain the idea of 'swapping' my existing unused unit for a more appropriate one. The unit itself looks to be good quality (NEFF brand), could I just pay the difference if models with a bigger freezer are more expensive. If standard electrical shops wouldn't entertain this is there any specific supplier that might. I do also still need to buy an washer and dryer, might they be more likely to swap my fridge-freezer if I was buying these additional items also ?

Thanks,

Zozo

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Is it definitely a built-in fridge freezer? As in, it has kitchen unit doors in front of it? If so you're kind of stuck with the 70:30 fridge that you seem to have.

As it's Neff, it was unlikely cheap, so would you not consider keeping it and getting a small upright or chest freezer to put in utility room or something as additional freezer space?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,675 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just an FYI.

You need ventilation above and behind the fridge freezer.

If you minimise it beyond manufacturers guidelines your fridge will be very short-lived. It will be called box with door.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ZoZoZo

byte wrote: »
    Is it definitely a built-in fridge freezer? As in, it has kitchen unit doors in front of it? If so you're kind of stuck with the 70:30 fridge that you seem to have.

As it's Neff, it was unlikely cheap, so would you not consider keeping it and getting a small upright or chest freezer to put in utility room or something as additional freezer space?

Yes, it is built-in with unit doors attached to the front to match the surrounding cupboards etc. I can't see how this would be a major problem though its just undoing a few screws and then sliding the unit out of the frame. It anyone was going to swap it for a different model I can't see why having to detetch the unit doors would be a deal breaker. I could do it myself in advance and let them come and pick it up.

Do you think if it wasn't already built-in I might get someone willing to swap it ?

As for a separate freezer I did think of that but I dont have a lot of space and the smaller standalone freezers I did find didn't look to have much capacity; it looks like the freezing machinery (pump, compressor etc.) occupies a significant portion of the unit volume, so by having two separate freezers I woudl really be doing badly on the ratio of unit size to usable freezer space.

Zozo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

It's not the detaching of the doors that's the issue, it's that the two separate doors match the sizes of the fridge and the freezer. We got a 50/50 split and had to confirm this with the kitchen manufacturers as if we got a 70/30 door split we wouldn't be able to open the freezer without also opening the fridge because the upper wooden door would block the freezer door. So if you change the appliance size you'd also have to get new doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ZoZoZo

It's not the detaching of the doors that's the issue, it's that the two separate doors match the sizes of the fridge and the freezer. We got a 50/50 split and had to confirm this with the kitchen manufacturers as if we got a 70/30 door split we wouldn't be able to open the freezer without also opening the fridge because the upper wooden door would block the freezer door. So if you change the appliance size you'd also have to get new doors.

I hadn't though of that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement