Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Placing a git repo into docker on a Windows 10 laptop

Options
  • 12-09-2019 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭

Ive completed my coding of a Java app and wish to put it into Docker as it uses mysql etc.

I have a github repo and know how to do my git pull etc normally. How do i make it do this within a Docker container though? Im playing around with it on Docker Quickstart Terminal.

Ive taken a Dockerfile sample but it references Ubuntu which im not using so id guess it needs changes. The git clone command is thein but im not sure if this is the right spot for it.

# Dockerfile

FROM  phusion/baseimage:0.9.17

MAINTAINER  Author Name <author@email.com>

RUN echo "deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu trusty main universe" > /etc/apt/sources.list

RUN apt-get -y update

RUN DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get install -y -q python-software-properties software-properties-common

ENV JAVA_VER 8
    ENV JAVA_HOME /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle

RUN echo 'deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu trusty main' >> /etc/apt/sources.list && \
        echo 'deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu trusty main' >> /etc/apt/sources.list && \
        apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys C2518248EEA14886 && \
        apt-get update && \
        echo oracle-java${JAVA_VER}-installer shared/accepted-oracle-license-v1-1 select true | sudo /usr/bin/debconf-set-selections && \
        apt-get install -y --force-yes --no-install-recommends oracle-java${JAVA_VER}-installer oracle-java${JAVA_VER}-set-default && \
        apt-get clean && \
        rm -rf /var/cache/oracle-jdk${JAVA_VER}-installer
        git clone https://github.com/rappsApps/shortcuts.git

RUN update-java-alternatives -s java-8-oracle

RUN echo "export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle" >> ~/.bashrc

RUN apt-get clean && rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/* /tmp/* /var/tmp/*

CMD ["/sbin/my_init"]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Go to windows store and search for ubuntu :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

The Dockerfile references Ubuntu because I'd imagine the base image is derived from Ubuntu. All it's doing is installing some Java stuff.

Going to the Windows store and searching for Ubuntu won't help here.

Do you have Docker for Windows installed? If so, you need to use that to build a container from the Dockerfile with additional commands that clone your git repo in it. You then need to specify the entry point you want to run that will start your Java application

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

The Dockerfile references Ubuntu because I'd imagine the base image is derived from Ubuntu. All it's doing is installing some Java stuff.

Going to the Windows store and searching for Ubuntu won't help here.

Do you have Docker for Windows installed? If so, you need to use that to build a container from the Dockerfile with additional commands that clone your git repo in it. You then need to specify the entry point you want to run that will start your Java application

Using Docker Quickstart Terminal.

Can you recommend any guides or videos on this for i'm farily new to Docker. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

What have you tried so far? There's docs on the Docker site to get you up and running, but at this point, you'll need to have a bit of Linux knowledge. I can't think of any videos, I just used the docs.

For Java apps, I'd probably checkout and build my code locally as always, then copy the files to the container via a COPY command in the dockerfile, then set up an entry point for the app.

If you want to use mysql from another docker container then you'd need to have a look at docker compose to build a cluster of containers with shared networking all doing little bits of your app.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

What the Colnel said. If your app is running mysql and some other services then they should ideally be located in separate containers for local development.

Are you using maven as a build tool? If so I'd use it to build your jar file and reference that using your Dockerfile

Could be something as simple as:
    FROM openjdk:11

COPY ./<my-project-name>/target/*-exec.jar app.jar

COPY ./scripts/startup.sh /
    RUN chmod +x startup.sh;

ENTRYPOINT ["sh", "-c", "/startup.sh" ]

ARG SERVER_PORT=8080
    EXPOSE ${SERVER_PORT}

In this case, there's a startup.sh script that basically calls "java -jar app.jar"

• Advertisement
Advertisement