Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New applicances- over riding the beeping?

Options
  • 29-08-2019 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭

In the market for a few new applicances soon and it seems like a lot of modern stuff have bleepers in them which I would find infuriating. Fridges, dishwashers, microwaves washing machines, etc constantly bleep when their cycle is finished. I run the dishwasher and washing machine after midnight to take advantage of the half price electricity so last thing I want is them beeping downstairs at 2am.

My question - is the bleeping pretty much standard across all these modern applicances or is it only stuff at the middle to top end price ranges? And can the bleeping be bypassed or do you just have to put up with it? I think it would drive me mad so want to either bypass it or avoid such a product altogether.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If this is important to you and you have the time and inclination, you could track down the speaker which makes the sound and put a bit of blu-tak or something over it to dull down the sound.

If you plod through the manuals you might be able to figure out in advance which models make noises. It may be possible to mute the noises on some models.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah I would hope it is at least possible to mute it, especially the washing machine which I dont want beeping at 2am when its cycle finishes. Will ask in the appliance shops if there is typically a way to mute them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If this is really important to you I would say you will have to plod through the individual manuals yourself. I just don't think most sales people will have that level of detail at their fingertips.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I run the dishwasher and washing machine after midnight to take advantage of the half price electricity so last thing I want is them beeping downstairs at 2am.

Pretty much every modern mid-range+ dishwasher and washing machine will have start delay so you can time the cycle to finish towards the end of the cheap rate window.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

My last dishwasher beeped seven times when finished. SEVEN! What's wrong with one beep?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I feel you OP. Why the hell do the manufacturers think we want or need alarms on our appliances for when things are done? In many parts of the world laundry appliances are either in basements or not even in the house at all so what is the point you won't hear it.

And the worst is the microwave. Mine doesn't even have a digital one but it has that DING! when it gets to zero. I don't need the whole house knowing my fat arse is heating up a slice of pizza at 3 am. The heat turns off at the end so why the need to raise an alarm there is no danger of overcooking it. And it's not like anyone is going to go away and forget about it and let it go cold either, as I don't think I've ever gone more than a few yards away from a microwave when cooking something, I'm usually right next to the thing and the reason Im using a microwave is I'm hungry and want to eat something ASAP.

A little digital display that says done or just a light that lights up would be a better job.

If this is really important to you I would say you will have to plod through the individual manuals yourself. I just don't think most sales people will have that level of detail at their fingertips.

yeah was thinking the same myself, they might even tell you the beeping can be muted and then its delivered and you cant. At least the manuals should be online so I can go and scout there.

Must say I find it a bid mad that you can pay big bucks for kitchen appliances but in the shops you cant even see a working demo of them. Not expecting them to plumb washing machines & dishwashers or anything but at least have the ovens/microwaves wired up so people can turn them on, see the digital display and test the user interface, get a sense of how noisy they are, how quick they get to temperature etc. Instead you are expected to shell out hundreds and buy blind in the hope it works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I have a Bosch washing machine which beeped at the end of the cycle. Found instructions how to stop that on YouTube and now there is blessed silence.

I have a Bosch washing machine which beeped at the end of the cycle. Found instructions how to stop that on YouTube and now there is blessed silence.

Was it a software hack or did you open it up and deal with the offending beeper?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Our relatively new Bosch washing machine has a beep, but you can just turn down the volume on it, all the way to zero if required. No hacks required, it's in the instruction book.

• Advertisement

Thats good to hear its easy to turn off. I wouldnt mind if they just beeped the once but many beep every few minutes till you open the door

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Was it a software hack or did you open it up and deal with the offending beeper?

As far as I remember you had to press one or two buttons and then turn the programme selection wheel. No big deal!

The beeping was obnoxious and persistent and drove the dogs crazy. I could have lived with one beep.

Nice one Cheshire, will definitely take a look at Bosch so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Must research this, our fridge drives me insane! Also washing machine does a whole song at the end of the cycle which goes on for two minutes...

I'd imagine the only reason a fridge would beep is if you accidentally left the door open and the temperature rose above a safe level, which is something you'd actually want to be warned about?

Yeah I think fridges beeping is only if the door has been left open. I have seen one though that beeped after 60 seconds so if you were loading it up with shopping it would be beeping at you in no time. I might be wrong but would imagine disabling the beeping on fridges is not going to be easy as they dont have digital screens/software. Id say you'd have to open it up to find the offending speaker!

Yeah I think fridges beeping is only if the door has been left open. I have seen one though that beeped after 60 seconds so if you were loading it up with shopping it would be beeping at you in no time. I might be wrong but would imagine disabling the beeping on fridges is not going to be easy as they dont have digital screens/software. Id say you'd have to open it up to find the offending speaker!
    Perhaps, fridges should have a "snooze" feature that you can set by tapping the light switch to silence it for a couple of minutes.

Maybe some fridges already do this.

I have a separate digital thermometer in my (very low tech!) fridge, and you'd be surprised how much the temperature can rise in 60 seconds, let alone a couple of minutes. If it's beeping, it's doing it for a reason, not to annoy you.

Alun wrote: »
    I have a separate digital thermometer in my (very low tech!) fridge, and you'd be surprised how much the temperature can rise in 60 seconds, let alone a couple of minutes. If it's beeping, it's doing it for a reason, not to annoy you.
    Correct, all the cool air immediately falls out on to the floor and is replaced by warmer air. Loading up after a shopping trip should be done as quick as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

First world problem to be honest

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »

Out of interest what kind of temperature rises are you seeing in 60 seconds?

Advertisement