Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get scrap metal for blacksmithing (railway track, brake drum)

Options
  • 18-07-2015 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone. I recently moved to Ireland (Cork city) and have a problem with practicing my hobby - blacksmithing. Back in Poland it was easy to go to one of many scrap yards, pick through and buy whatever I needed. Here all scrap yards I visited are on a contract and don't sell anything to private customers. I'm lost.

Where else I can get scrap metal? I need a piece of railway track and a leaf spring for an anvil, as well as a brake drum and something to keep it above the ground for a forge. Plus a supply of scrap as resources.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LCRS

Fafnir,

I find it good to ask around at local mechanics for spring steel and pieces of leaf spring. Might get a good used brake drum at a truck service yard or something. They are usually happy enough to give a small bit away as they would sell for scrap otherwise. I was at a lawnmower repair place last week and got plenty of used blades and good tool steel for free.

A supply of scrap is another thing though and I only know of some sources around Limerick... I have bought mostly mild steel stock bar from builders merchants for general work as it is cheap and much easier to get.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fafnir

LCRS wrote: »
    I find it good to ask around at local mechanics for spring steel and pieces of leaf spring. Might get a good used brake drum at a truck service yard or something. They are usually happy enough to give a small bit away as they would sell for scrap otherwise. I was at a lawnmower repair place last week and got plenty of used blades and good tool steel for free.

I picked up a brake drum today, visiting a local car scrapyard. Not from a truck, but big enough to set up a small forge. Now I need something to hold it high enough, few pipes, a hairdryer and of course an anvil.

Speaking of anvils, are there any places where I can get a piece of railway rail?
    LCRS wrote: »
    A supply of scrap is another thing though and I only know of some sources around Limerick... I have bought mostly mild steel stock bar from builders merchants for general work as it is cheap and much easier to get.

I've seen some building supplies store sell rebar, but I'm not use if it is good material.
    Ideally I'd need low carbon steel for decorative items and something tougher for tools. Do building merchants sell anything like that?
    I know leaf springs will do fine for making knives.

You sound like you have your own forge. Do you have a professional workshop or do you hammer iron as a hobby?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LCRS

I managed to pick up a few pieces of rail recently as my mate who gets it as offcuts from work. Other than that I don't know where you might get some other than asking around, someone will always know! If you were willing to travel to Limerick I could probably spare one of the pieces of the rail I have as I can always get some more if I need it.

My friend has a forge and workshop set up not far from me and I have been using it for the last couple of years. Currently trying to set up something at my own home hence why I had the bits of railway.

Rebar, the stuff with the notches, is the lowest quality alright. I don't like using it unless its just a rough implement. "Mild Steel" is what is now used by most blacksmiths instead of wrought iron as it has similar working qualities and will generally not take a temper or hardening very well. I would regard it as more than adequate for decorative work as well as things like gates and railings. I have made drifts and punches from mild steel and they work fine too but mostly try to make tools out of spring steel. The mild steel is great for making tongs also.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭thecelt

Wondering how you guys have got on! Are you still blacksmithing?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Hi again TheCelt - looking at their profiles, you can actually see that these users were last active on Boards in or around 2015, so it might be hard to get a reply off them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement