Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front light to change between two bikes

Options
  • 14-10-2019 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I know that asking about lights is like asking about tyres or wheels - everyone has their own idea.

However, I have two bikes on the go and I want to be able to swap easily between the two - clip off/on.

Also, I'd like the light to be 'out of the way' - e.g. to be clamped to the stem-bracket for the handlebars. So, I'd need two mounts for the one light.

I'd probably go for an USB light, mid-range (mainly daytime flash but with a somewhat decent beam if I did happen to get caught out in the dark).

Any reccommendations for my 'ideal' setup would be appreciated. My bike to as Trek Domane and the picture below shows the type of neet setup that I'd like (even though this particurlar light is described as a daytime light only, and I don't need the Garmin mount).

Ideas welcome please.

DomaneSL6_20_28313_A_Accessory2?$responsive-pjpg$&wid=1920&hei=1440

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

Exposure Strada for top end with stem mount.

Go direct to swap the bar for stem.

Then either a blaze, switch or Sirius, not too sure but think helmet mounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

If you only need lights "to be seen" why not buy two lights, one for each bike?

If that's not an option, I recommend the Garmin Varia UT800 headlight. It mounts under your garmin outfront mount and links via bluetooth to your Garmin computer.

Easy enough to swap between bikes as long as you have the appropriate garmin mount on each bike.

I have 3 bikes and I have this garmin mount on all 3:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072JYSZC9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

There's some lights mounted with a rubber strap. Very quick to change bike to bike. Something like the Cateye Volt 500 from Halfords for 30 something Euro. USB charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

I have these rubber strap ones https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LYV0X91/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Pretty sure I can be seen from space with these.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

tigerboon wrote: »
    something like the Cateye Volt 500 from Halfords for 30 something Euro. USB charged.

I got one of these recently, it isn't great if you do get caught out in the dark as OP says he might. I ran out of hard shoulder a few weeks ago and didn't see the change in road surface. Don't know how I stayed upright tbh.

The beam is very narrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

tigerboon wrote: »
    There's some lights mounted with a rubber strap. Very quick to change bike to bike. Something like the Cateye Volt 500 from Halfords for 30 something Euro. USB charged.

Halfords do a bike hut 1000 lumen light that has the same rubber strap. It’s a brilliant light. they also do a less bright one for less money as far as I know.

Advertisement