Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we re-introduce wolves to Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

We would need to monitor any place they're reintroduced into closely.

It would require a large wild population to sustain them and adequate fencing to contain them while undergoing studies.

Probably need a large buffer area as well to minimise damage to domestic stock.

And within ready access to a large urban area for that tourism perk.

Yes, the Phoenix Park is absolutely ideal on all levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

We should reintroduce them.

After we’ve done that we should domesticate them, then turn them into pugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

In the no camp myself.

http://bioweb.ie/reintroduction-wolves-ireland/

Seems we have ourselves some wolfaboos here. FFS, what's with the obession with the wolves, has been going on for years in debates - I came across one man's motivation for wolves on the basis that Oliver Cromwell's presence in Ireland decimated the last of them so therefore we needed them back as part of our irish idenity....dfgiidufgudguh

What about restoring our degraded habitats, our endangered native species such as the curlew, Jesus Christ what about implementing natural flooding management schemes throughout flooding-prone areas - the list is endless.

Here's a suggestion I have, which is open to scrutiny: How about introducing the *drumroll............* the Lynx! Now I'd love to see those guys screaming about on the treetops

• Registered Users Posts: 8,956 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

No because we are talking about a huge area of land if you can envision a semi circle just south of dublin all the way to west cork

This is just seriously absurd, what about the hundreds of thousands of people living there? Will they be fenced in with the wolves too on your plans?

We haven't enough wild land for them to be introduced back. They couldn't be restricted to an area either.

Even Dublin Zoo captive wolves created a network of underground tunnels very close to the zoo’s perimeter fence so you can imagine the chances of restricting movement of a wild pack, it just isn't going to happen.

I can't believe politicians are wasting time with this rubbish when there are so many more pressing matters. I'd rather see land rewilded and forests etc.

There's a large derelict plot of land near my home that's been left untouched for 10 years, used to be part of a leveled building site for when housing estates were being built. It is truly beautiful now, trees, plants, berries, the whole area is teeming with native wildlife. Nothing to it, it was just left alone and nature took over, it's fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,450 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It would require a large wild population to sustain them and adequate fencing to contain them while undergoing studies.

Or St. Stephen's Green, be easier for the rangers to track them and the gates could just be kept locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

Let’s trial it in Dublin city centre first, if nobody gets killed within 21 days then we can have a bigger discussion around it. Wolves that love the taste of Lycra would be a preference for the initial testing period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I said I would be happy (actually would prefer) living in the middle of this pristine wilderness
    The wolves would love it too. Nom nom nom nom.......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

Eamon Ryan trolling rural farmers with $hitetalk shocker.

Although it shows he couldn't care less about actually promoting a genuine green agenda for the entire country as he knows full well farmers will be up in arms about the thought of this idea and will refuse to give any number to rural Green candidates at the next election.

Well done Eamon.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    Eamon Ryan trolling rural farmers with $hitetalk shocker.

Although it shows he couldn't care less about actually promoting a genuine green agenda for the entire country as he knows full well farmers will be up in arms about the thought of this idea and will refuse to give any number to rural Green candidates at the next election.

Well done Eamon.

Wait till he finds out the recent “green wave” in the elections is nothing other than piss hitting a puddle. The majority haven’t forgotten what the Greens did last time they had power here Eamon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Have a read of the inhospitable earth by David Wallace wells then come back to me

I agree with u that wolves won’t save the earth from climate change. REWILDING ireland and dtrastically reducing our carbon footprint is the logical thing to do. We can only do so much here in this little country. But we can show the way for bigger more impactful societies like China and the states.
    Here's a long term study from the US, suggesting corridor links to join habitats is a very good option.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2019/09/26/connecting-fractured-habitats-has-long-lasting-ecological-benefits-study-finds/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Wait till he finds out the recent “green wave” in the elections is nothing other than piss hitting a puddle. The majority haven’t forgotten what the Greens did last time they had power here Eamon.
    When talking about the Greens remember they are big in pockets, mostly urban and can get to 6-7 seats. As they are willing to participate in government that's a nice cohesive bunch for FF or FG to target.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Mmmm no. I can't run very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,785 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Don't worry, the Greens would only approve vegan wolves anyway. None of us can do 70 kph, so we're all in the not fast enough boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

And what will they eat? All our cows and sheep? Greattt idea. Anyway, actually creating some large forested lands of diverse tree species would be a more important place to start in the 'rewilding' process I would imagine than before we begin to introduce herds of large predatory animals

• Registered Users Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Or Achill island ,?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

cjmc wrote: »
    Or Achill island ,?

I hope you are joking.

Who'd go around picking up their sh1t?..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

cjmc wrote: »
    Or Achill island ,?

or inishark… no people but, ah, they graze sheep over there now. Maybe Blasket too.. and there are other islands.. yes, they can swim...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

Even Dublin Zoo captive wolves created a network of underground tunnels very close to the zoo’s perimeter fence so you can imagine the chances of restricting movement of a wild pack, it just isn't going to happen.

Just like the Great Escape.

Ultimately I think one off housing means it's a non-runner. Although lots of people say that wolves given a choice will leave humans alone, so maybe?

But yeah one off housing has caused so many problems it's ridiculous. Roads that can't be expanded, the difficulty in providing broadband/services etc, transport and now it's impacting our rewilding dreams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I love wildlife but unless there was a national park that was totally fenced in , I'd say no. Wolves need quiet a lot of territory to roam so I don't think that's gonna happen . Sure the fox is hunted mercilessly across the country how'd you think the wolves would fair out . Sure we can barely look after the animal under treat , like crayfish, Curlew , eagle and Atlantic salmon, never mind introducing wolves. National parks and wildlife are seriously understaffed and underfunded here, maybe they should properly start funding them and try and look after what we've got first instead of introducing wolves

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Tony EH wrote: »
    Of course it won't. The very idea is a farce. A wolf pack could cover the distance Kilbeggan to Ballinasloe at a lesuirely pace in the better part of a day, ravaging sheep and cattle along the way.

The first time that happens there would be a nationwide hunt to shoot them all.

This has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard a politician suggest in a long time and, by christ, that's saying something.

Ah now, what about the Gondolas on Blessington lakes ?
    Of course that was shelved because no one was sure who was going to feed them. ;)

Then we had Donie Cassidy coming up with novel concept of alleviating the disruption of changing the country to driving on the right by doing it on a county to county basis.
    Sure what could possibly go wrong at the county borders.

Never underestimate the stupidity of politicians or boards posters. ;)

Ultimately I think one off housing means it's a non-runner. Although lots of people say that wolves given a choice will leave humans alone, so maybe?

But yeah one off housing has caused so many problems it's ridiculous. Roads that can't be expanded, the difficulty in providing broadband/services etc, transport and now it's impacting our rewilding dreams.

Ahh FFS
    yeah one off rural housing is why we can't reintroduce wolves to Ireland. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,785 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That's a festering load of cobblers. Your rewilding dreams could only be realised by the forced acquisition of probably 75 square contiguous km of farmland. That is a politically impossible idea in this country.

Idiots who live in apartments in Dublin who think farmers should not have access to electricity, phone lines, broadband or paved roads. You lot are like children with a simplistic world view and a me-me ego-centric thought processes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

cnocbui wrote: »
    That's a festering load of cobblers. Your rewilding dreams could only be realised by the forced acquisition of probably 75 square contiguous km of farmland. That is a politically impossible idea in this country.

Idiots who live in apartments in Dublin who think farmers should not have access to electricity, phone lines, broadband or paved roads. You lot are like children with a simplistic world view and a me-me ego-centric thought processes.

Shure aren't we going to get rid of our national herd, our national flocks and thus there will be no pesky agriculture polluting the planet.
    Who needs our beef, dairy or lamb.

And won't we all be working for Facebook, Microsoft, Apple, Google, Pfizer, Johnson, Shire, etc.
    You know generally the companies that have foreign HQs, foreign owners and postboxes in a tax haven somewhere.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

cnocbui wrote: »

"Let's have wolves*" (but not near me) attitude.

* alternatively insert wind turbines, direct provision centres, incinerators, injection facilities, halting sites...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Seriously cannot believe that there are so many Yes votes for this.

Do people not realise that a pack of wolves could wipe out the large part (or entirety) of a farmers stock in one go? During lambing season, something like that could be disastrous and lambs/birthing sheep are already under attack from the likes of crows, hawks, foxes, pine martens and whatever else.

There's simply no way that Irish farmers, who pride themselves on open range farming (and for good reason) could avoid a situation like that. They would be forced to go to a situation that will eliminate the relatively free nature of farming we employ here and use a more closed in method, like they do in America, where sheep are stuck in pens most, if not all, of the day. I wonder what Eamonn Ryan would end up saying about that if it came to pass.

FFS, a pack of domesticated dogs can cause havoc if they go on the rampage amongst a flock. Just imagine what a roaming pack of wild wolves would do.

This is just a monumentally short sighted, hair brained, idea and even more lamentable that it's being brought up as a motion, when there are far more important things our public representatives should be tackling.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Do people not realise that a pack of wolves could wipe out the large part (or entirety) of a farmers stock in one go?

Why not have some patrol drones to look after the sheep then? If they spot a wolf or dog or whatever, they could emit a scary noise at it and scare it away and alert the farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Why not have some patrol drones to look after the sheep then? If they spot a wolf or dog or whatever, they could emit a scary noise at it and scare it away and alert the farmer.

Jesus christ :rolleyes:

While wolves will generally avoid contact with humans if they can, a pack on a feeding frenzy won't give a damn about Joe the farmer when he gets alerted by his "drone" and once they figure out that the "scary noise" isn't going to do anything to them, they just won't care.

And even if alerted in the middle of the night, by the time Joe the farmer gets his shit together and goes outside to the acre where his sheep are currently grazing, the pack will have made off with enough booty.

Over a couple of nights, that could wipe out Joe the farmers yield fairly sharpish.

Alright but right now, would there be a market for some drone sheep protection thing?

• Advertisement

Alright but right now, would there be a market for some drone sheep protection thing?

Unless it's military grade with an installed weapons platform of some sort, then no.

Advertisement