Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we re-introduce wolves to Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Peter T wrote: »
    Id love to see them reintroduced but again we simply don't have the space for them to roam. I live around 70k from killarney national park and we get wild deer out here locally from time to time. Now realistically if you exclude following the mountains all that goes through farm land (beef and sheep). If they want to control deer population they should be offering it as a food source for people to buy.

I remember when seeing a deer herd in Ireland would nearly make headlines, now they're every where.

Dromoland Castle estate is full of deer and they roam all over the place, you'd see them 25 miles away from Dromoland sometimes at night friends of mine in East Clare would see them in their gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I remember watching a programme about wolves on the tundra in Alaska, they were able to go for miles on end just looking for food, if that happened here sure they would be half way across Ireland.

When the forests were cut down in the 17th century and a bounty was put on their head the game was up for the wolf unfortunately, very sad end to an animal who survived here for 20 thousand years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I remember watching a programme about wolves on the tundra in Alaska, they were able to go for miles on end just looking for food, if that happened here sure they would be half way across Ireland.

When the forests were cut down in the 17th century and a bounty was put on their head the game was up for the wolf unfortunately, very sad end to an animal who survived here for 20 thousand years.

Yeah - the Cromwellian plantations really put an end to our wonderfull oak woodlands and much of their native wildlife:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Yes , into the Phoenix park, those beloved Deer have the place destroyed and have to be culled regularly , bark eaten off trees and there's very little biodiversity there as they eat all the undergrowth.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Yeah - the Cromwellian plantations really put an end to our wonderfull oak woodlands and much of their native wildlife:(

Yep the English used the timber to build their ships if I remember correctly, sure Cromwell viewed the irish themselves as sub human so the native wildlife had no chance of survival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,691 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I remember another Green idea that got implemented - Tax the ass off Petrol cars and make diesels look cheap (in comparison).

How'd that work out? Wolves - what could go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Wibbs wrote: »
    I have. Some good points, swamped by the end is nigh points that have almost no scientific value. The usual mix of the fringe of any sort.

Actually they have a large impact on local environments. For a start more trees grow and water tables rise. On a continental scale that would have an impact.

I'd aim to reforest the place first. I'd also make it more financially worthwhile to have fewer kids. The single biggest thing someone can do for the planet is to have one less child, yet on the other hand we're told we need more people. Hell our governments are all for encouraging importing more bloody people from elsewhere. Bless. I admire the naivety, but that's what it is. They give zero fcuks about this stuff. Though we could impact China by stopping buying their tat and penalising local industries who farm manufacturing out to them. Have fewer kids, plant many more native trees, eat less, buy much less tat and buy local = pretty large impact.

Having fewer kids (or none) and addressing transport and aviation is certainly part of the mix. For little ol ireland addressing beef farming is HUGE. Reforesting and rewilding are def the approach to take on this overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

We have enough problems protecting livestock from less aggressive predators.

Imagine the nightmare of a pack of wild wolves roaming the countryside.

Feckin Greens coming up with shite again.

Reintroducing wolves would mean culling the population of the most highly protected species in Ireland. The smallest recorded wolf territory was 33 km^2 The largest was 6,272 km^2. Sacrifices would have to be made, so it won't happen.

Also while we are at it populate the wilderness with

Irish red deer
    Irish fallow deer
    Irish red squirrel
    Lets investigate bringing back the giant elk
    Hare
    Rats, mice etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lets investigate bringing back the giant elk

Jaysus Jurassic Park. You're having a laugh now.

Credibility = 0

Since when are rats and mice in danger of extinction?

I've trekked the Mournes on numerous occasions, you don't have the foggiest notion. A wolf pack confined to a few square kilometres? You're wasting your time on boards altogether.

Berties horse can I just ask that you see the bigger picture and don’t shoot down everything without giving it a fair hearing. The wilderness project definetly can work. It’s a matter of time and resourcing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

is_that_so wrote: »
    Here's a piece on the Yellowstone reintroduction but they have an enormous ecosystem.

https://www.yellowstonepark.com/things-to-do/wolf-reintroduction-changes-ecosystem

Look at the size of yellowstone compared to Ireland. https://mapfight.appspot.com/ie-vs-yellowstone/ireland-yellowstone-national-park-size-comparison

Jaysus Jurassic Park. You're having a laugh now.

Credibility = 0

Sorry now but you are revealing your lack of knowledge on the progress made in dna cloning now

Google wooly mammoth 2019. This is possible folks

Since when are rats and mice in danger of extinction?[/quote]

It’s about recreating a pristine primordial ecosystem whisky

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I said increase the fencing as high as required. No biggie. U Havnt addressed the obvious benefits of rewillding Ireland.

Wild, behind a fence? Isnt that not domestication?

Wild, behind a fence? Isnt that not domestication?

No because we are talking about a huge area of land if you can envision a semi circle just south of dublin all the way to west cork

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

three-wolf-moon-men-s-big-face-t-shirt-3.jpg?v=1506517823

Wolves + humans = werewolves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Sorry now but you are revealing your lack of knowledge on the progress made in dna cloning now

It's no different to reverse breeding. It's just a quicker process.

Since when are rats and mice in danger of extinction?

It’s about recreating a pristine primordial ecosystem whisky[/quote]

You'll need to emigrate in that case.

• Advertisement

It’s about recreating a pristine primordial ecosystem whisky

You'll need to emigrate in that case.[/quote]

Eh no need to get personal man

I said I would be happy (actually would prefer) living in the middle of this pristine wilderness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

No because we are talking about a huge area of land if you can envision a semi circle just south of dublin all the way to west cork

Ya but sure nobody at all lives outside of Dublin, let’s bring wolves, snakes and even ****ing scorpions in while we’re at it? Sure it will make a lovely sight seeing trip for the city dwellers and tourists :rolleyes:

Ya but sure nobody at all lives outside of Dublin, let’s bring wolves, snakes and even ****ing scorpions in while we’re at it? Sure it will make a lovely sight seeing trip for the city dwellers and tourists :rolleyes:

Snakes and scorps??? Not in our plan, man. Has to be native Irish species

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

cnocbui wrote: »
    Reintroducing wolves would mean culling the population of the most highly protected species in Ireland. The smallest recorded wolf territory was 33 km^2 The largest was 6,272 km^2. Sacrifices would have to be made, so it won't happen.

Of course it won't. The very idea is a farce. A wolf pack could cover the distance Kilbeggan to Ballinasloe at a lesuirely pace in the better part of a day, ravaging sheep and cattle along the way.

The first time that happens there would be a nationwide hunt to shoot them all.

This has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard a politician suggest in a long time and, by christ, that's saying something.

Snakes and scorps??? Not in our plan, man. Has to be native Irish species

No your plan is introducing apex predators who haven’t been here in over 200 years...

You'll need to emigrate in that case.

Eh no need to get personal man

I said I would be happy (actually would prefer) living in the middle of this pristine wilderness[/quote]

No. You're human. No need for you.
    Out.
    You're interfering with mother nature.
    Not a native species.

No your plan is introducing apex predators who haven’t been here in over 200 years...

Sorry but never mentioned snakes and scorps

200 years is like, less than an eye blink in terms of deep ecological time

Something like 20 attempts have been made by the Russians to clone Wooly Mammoths, and all have failed, so this folk won't believe it till he sees it.
    Gizmodo reports that the researchers behind the project, who are also working to resurrect woolly mammoths, have tried and failed to grow such cells 20 different times.

The only way to bring back these sort of creatures -s hould the cloning ever work - is to create a vast contiguous reserve that can be let go wild and revert utterly to nature, with a helping hand to speed the process, but as I said, that would involve culling the most protected species in Ireland, so it's never going to happen, much as I like the idea.

Sorry but never mentioned snakes and scorps

200 years is like, less than an eye blink in terms of deep ecological time

Yeah 200 years ago when we didn’t have the sprawl of population we have now. If you think this wankstain of an idea is in anyway plausible I’m sorry but you are deluded or trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

You want to send most of the southern half of Ireland back to the dark ages so that wolves can be reintroduced.

That might work for the wolves but you do realize that there are people, towns, businesses etc there?

Advertisement